Active Topics

I was thinking about all of the development tools, and I only really know two of the toolset languages - Java and Mono (.NET, that is). I have Visual Studio.Net 2005 on my notebook already. I have built a very simple .NET application, but it fails to run on the 770, via mono. Just so you know, I was able to run the sample console.exe app on my 770, (by typing ./mono console.exe), so it is set up correctly.

What I wonder is - do I have to jump through some hoops to get this to work? I have deployed .NET apps before, but I was deploying them to Windoze machines, and they had the famous batch file installs. That would work fine, I think, just convert the batch file installs to shell scripts.

I think the problem is that mono is for framework version 1.0, and I have framework version 2.0. I tried to downgrade it to 1.0, to no avail.

I have the old version of .NET CD's, and as I was trying to install them, and the CD failed, scratched, so I had to install VS 2005 instead.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Developing for GTK# Mono is not exatly the same as developing for windows .net. You should start by downloading mono development env from http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page . Note that you should make Gtk# 2.0 apps.

Install that and maybe test some of the example Gtk# 2.0 apps on your nokia 770 for example PeditGtk ) . Then go and develop a mono app (almost as easy as developing .net app). Once you have that, try running that on you 770.

If you have any luck, let us know. If not, maybe you should try contacting

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki

don't confuse the guy - mono and Microsoft .NET are the same thing - they're both implementations of .NET technology.
Difference between them is that:
* Microsoft .NET Framework works only on Windows
* MS .NET Framework has .NET-standard things faster, because MS decides what goes into next implementation of .NET
* Mono works on many many platforms - including Windows, Linux, MacOS and more
* Mono develops a little slower
* Mono is more wide - it implements things from MS .NET [to be compatibile] and it's own stuff [like things from Linux]

Writing app in/for Mono is basicly the same - the difference is that it doesn't always support everything that's implemented in MS .NET.