Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Drawer filled with N900s. When N900 first arrived I wanted it so bad but it was too expensive and I needed a smartphone (which I hated) for a work job and the iPhone was the only one which managed to do what I needed at that time. So now I am kinda taking it back. But these are all broken and on their way to new users. I have maybe 5 working ones which didn't come with this buy. And one is still waiting to be sent to a member but mail is delivered to Bulgaria, Turkey and Italy, but not in Greece where it is going. So frustrated. And UPS and DHL are really expensive or then I just don't know how to choose a right delivery method. Cheapest price was tens of euros and to send a phone which costed 26€ post included and which is going to next user with 26€ plus postage the postage should not be too much.
Attached Images

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Do you think you will be able to fix 'all telephony functions disabled due to communication error' modem reballing thing?

--
(I was and am afraid of that oven method and cam module)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Do you think you will be able to fix 'all telephony functions disabled due to communication error' modem reballing thing?

--
If you have access to a hot air reflow gun just mask with kapton tape and foil apply liquid flux around the module I think should do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-SS-...0AAOSw9OFZNCJN

I think this is right tool for camera removal.

NOPE NOPE NOPE

It must be SS-100 camera removal tool, not 51

Last edited by Trzyzet; 2020-05-19 at 15:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You should have seen my soldering skills during RC car/ship teenage times
And ... it did not improve

So I stay away from any electronics smaller than what you plug in a power outlet

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
If you want @peterleinchen, I can try to fix it, especially I'm on holiday from next week (just to recharge my own batteries, so I'm staying home).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
You should have seen my soldering skills during RC car/ship teenage times
And ... it did not improve

So I stay away from any electronics smaller than what you plug in a power outlet
Just for everyone to know, the secret to better soldering is good solder alloy but far more importantly to have the right flux. Flux is the magic your soldering skills are missing, I also recommend a good iron, a good clean off station and holder and most importantly it needs to have a thermostat control so you cna put the right temperature point to the work you are doing.
So flux is the magic, and that other stuff too, and skill, and clean and tin your iron as you work.
So just flux skills, right guys?

but getting serious again read this, print it, save it, scribe it out a thousand times on unetched PCBs using solder as your ink your weller soldering station as your quill, hand it out, preach it, and be free:
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/SOLDERRM-D.PDF
Now go forth and sin no more!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Amateurs! It is a sign of a bad master who blames the tools.

I see growing up in a Soviet Bloc country was a huge benefit. You learn to make do with what you have. In my case, with the only flux available, colophony (rosin). Even that only available in music shops (for violin strings), not as a flux.

An iron? You sissies are used to temperature controlled soldering stations. All I had for the first 10 years of my hobby electronics was a transformer iron. We made our own wire loops for the tips. Here is a shot of what I learned to solder with:

Name:  20200521_083411.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  122.1 KB

The iron is the original one I bought for my own hard earned cash as a teenager almost 40 years ago. It is still going strong. The rosin (here labelled "kalafonia" as it of a Polish origin) is from eBay. The blobs of tin solder are leftovers from when we had a plumber in the house.

If this is all you have, that really teaches you how to solder
Shame my eyes are not what they used to be and thus my hobbyist days are pretty much over. I can barely see the tiny components. Even the classic ones, through the hole, with the 2.54 mm pitch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Amateurs! It is a sign of a bad master who blames the tools.

I see growing up in a Soviet Bloc country was a huge benefit. You learn to make do with what you have.
Feh!
In the 90s in Alaska I snapped the antenna ripped some PCB traces and broke the battery pack off of an air band walkie talkie, the way I was supposed to call for my ride home.
A folding pliers tool, a nail, and some pine resin from beetle damage to nearby trees. I carefully melted and separated the resin, heated the nail carefully figuring out the time and discoloration of the nail for temp and using the nail melted the existing solder along with some extra lead from melted and cut into strips decapitated .22 bullets. I think I must have had some copper wire in my camping kit to use as an antenna and to connect the broken battery pack.

(My favorite engineers to hire for prototype type jobs are can-do ex-eastern block(ex-USSR/Warsaw Pact/ex-Yugo) seems lazy get the job done when the boss isn't looking with way out of the box thinking ones, great education too)

Last edited by biketool; 2020-05-21 at 09:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Here is a shot of what I learned to solder with:

Attachment 41108
Is that an Eastern bloc soldering gun?
It sure looks like one..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:

Tags
board, community, repair, usb socket