now the mini computer and the N810 prize drop and im stck of which device i consicer buying??

N810 in ebay brandnew $219
dell mini 9 $249 and last president's day it was $199
http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=lthp&s=dhs

ace mini at walmart $275
asus at frys $275

can anybody tell me which is to buy and which brand is better.... thanks

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Dude, there are so many threads comparing pros and cons of tablets vs. netbooks. Google is you friend here.

Still, you shouldn't need google. Do you want to be able to put your mini computer in your pocket, or not?

I used to work with minicomputers. The smallest one was the size of a fridge. I'm currently hacking on my emulator so that I can run my old programs from the eighties.

But maybe the OP means something else by 'mini computer'

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I could just tell you which to buy, but unless you're buying it for me, that would be silly. Buy whichever you want; they're rather different animals, and it's hard to say one is "best". I'd keep an N810 (probably an N800, actually) if I had to keep only one of my portable computers, but there are people who use them differently and would keep a netbook.

The N810 fits in your pocket, has a touchscreen, and a battery charge lasts for days when it's not doing anything (don't even need to suspend it, just let it turn the backlight off). It does have a tiny keyboard with some keys missing and a little harder to type than an Eee 701 (imho). And the N810 has a nice transflective LCD so it's quite readable in full sun, without cranking the backlight up to max and draining the battery; I'm not aware of any netbooks with this.
Nutshell: "PDA on steroids"

The netbooks don't fit in any but the largest coat pockets, have (usually tiny) touchpads, and have battery life of ~3 hours under use, ~4 hours idle (or similar), so you have to always be suspending it when not in use. They gain nicer keyboards, maybe 2 to 3 times the usable performance, and the ability to run x86 software. (And for some 9" models, 1024x600 screen over 800x480.)
Nutshell: "Baby laptop"

So they're the same price, but have completely different advantages and disadvantages; pick the one that suits your needs. If you really need the strengths of both, you're looking at at least $750.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Whichever you buy, you'll find yourself wishing to play with the other, too, if you're geek enough. I am convinced that with the n810 you can do almost anything you could do with a netbook as those you named, provided you're willing to install "easy debian" and possibly use an external bluetooth keyboard for the longest writing sessions. You'll miss only some pieces of software which presently aren't available for the n810 processor architecture, i.e. google earth or other closed source binary packages.
Oh, and if you like or need windows and windows-compatible software, don't take a n810 because it can run neither windows nor a windows emulator.
Hope it helps.

acer aspire one has one of the best keyboards among netbooks while an n800/n810 can be used as a "mini computer"as everyone has stated, depends what your needs are. if you are constantly moving and dnt have time to deploy a netbook and pack it up again then maybe consider an internet tablet. but the processing power on the tablet is far less than thatof a netbook. while with debian on ur tablet u have openoffice, etc, it is quite low compared to a 1.6 or so ghz processor so internet browsing and document editing would be much faster on th netbook. however if u want something with more than 4 hours of battery you'll need 6 cell battery which will double the weight of ur netbook. be like me and have a netbook, internet tablet, and a pda!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Bigger size has advantages from a use perspective -- a similar user experience to your desktop. If you always want a computer with you and prefer not to carry a bag to haul it, the tablet is your tool. Key for me is that I can accomplish everything I need when I'm out and around with the tablet. I also own a laptop but only bring it when I need an application that doesn't easily run on the tablet or have a lot of typing to do. Gimp image editor would be one example.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Major thing the N8x0 series lacks is a VGA out. I currently have an N810 and I do love the device.. but the lacking processor power and the fact that there isn't a workable way to get full screen on a monitor yet have really started to annoy me.

I'm looking into buying an Acer Aspire One for this purpose.. it's small enough to be mobile; can act as a movie player in the car on long road trips for the kids; is powerful enough to run most software short of the best games.. etc. I've even been contemplating selling the N810 for it.

As people have said.. the N810 has it's place because it'll fit in my pocket, be on when I need it, and is always with me. But to get most of the software I've wanted to play with so far.. I need Deblet or Mer on the N810.. and battery life on those Plummet to being comparable, if not worse, than the battery life of a netbook.

I think I just like the general idea.. "Get Both." The Netbook can be a full laptop replacement for me at home, with VGA out to a decent monitor and a 120/160GB HDD.. and the tablet will be an "on the go" companion that I can sync with the Netbook.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

thank you guys for ur reply that helps alot and i appropriate it. i gues n810 gonna be my new friend...thanks again

Well, vnc server from maemo-pc-connectivity may be good thing to get remoote display on any computer with vnc client. There are a lot of clients for on any OS, even web-brouser plugin.