Poll: Should "thanks" be available in all threads?
Poll Options
Should "thanks" be available in all threads?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
"This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference. Either the page is no longer relevant, or consensus on its purpose has become unclear."

It seems there is no consensus on consensus polling. :-X

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
A "No Thanks" button is sorely missing...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Btw, I edited the tags of this thread. Yes, people have been abusing thread tags lately. It's annoying.
Do we have the creator information for these tags? Quips on Bugzilla have creator information, and you can revoke a user's quip creation privileges if they abuse them. Could we apply 30-day bans on tag creation for users adding clearly abusive tags?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Do we have the creator information for these tags? Quips on Bugzilla have creator information, and you can revoke a user's quip creation privileges if they abuse them. Could we apply 30-day bans on tag creation for users adding clearly abusive tags?
Not that they should be doing them, but maybe a 7 day ban?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I would ask you to do the same. You lost your head, you stormed out, and you still seem to be holding a lot of animosity towards Jaffa and myself for it. Just let it go yourself.
You're overstating my actions. You are also downplaying/defending Jaffa's inconsiderate behavior that was involved, which he continues to think was appropriate. It's exactly that sort of arrogant holier-than-thou crap that is just flat wrong for council representatives. You can complain about my ONE meltdown (for which I at least apologized) all you like, but I'm not officially representing the community. If I were, you can damn sure bet I wouldn't be treating members as you and Jaffa do. You're the one who keeps bringing up a moment of weakness in a public manner.

But keep making excuses and berating people for having different opinions than yours. I don't expect that to change. But what has changed is what *I* have been letting go... including most of your recent ugly comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Do we have the creator information for these tags?
Not to my knowledge, although Reggie may be able to access additional information via the database.

Tim

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Well, the information is stored somewhere (even if somewhere is hidden away in a database). You can only delete tags you added, so it must associate user accounts with each tag.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
So if we look at some of the threads lately and some of the adamant support against them by council, Quim, Reggie, like the Dark option poll.
Can you really point to any posts against having additional themes? Comments about it being desirable to have a unified [default] look & feel across all of maemo.org, but can you point to a post by a council member (me, Kees, Tim, Ryan or Alan); Quim or Reggie saying "a dark theme is useless, there's absolutely no chance of you having one ever"?

I truly believe that if there had been no poll's, there would have been no change, at least not as quickly as it happened.
I can tell you that the polls did nothing to sway my mind; and given I don't recall anyone arguing against having options, I don't see how it would have swayed anyone else's.

The arguments (yay, we get them dragged up in another thread!) were around the technical blockers to the migration of existing themes (which Reggie quite clearly expressed on a number of occasions), the lack of manpower (Reggie was working on fixing bugs in the main theme and andrewfblack was the only other person constructively building a new theme), and demands that some nebulous "maemo.org", the council, or some other body should do the work ASAP.

ObPolls: As has been pointed out, and I think you've now accepted, polls are a leading way of asking a question. They leave no room for nuance or debate. No-one can be persuaded of the other person's view. A n+1'th way cannot emerge.

ObThanks: No from me, for all the reasons stated so far. The proposals of "let's include them but exclude them from karma then" ignore the fact that this makes work for very little benefit. It's a hard sell ;-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, off-topic, poll, polls make my eyes burn, question