Poll: Should "thanks" be available in all threads?
Poll Options
Should "thanks" be available in all threads?

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Are we being too harsh on the GA? Honestly, I have NOT encountered any offence/irritating/rough to search sort of thing (of course, from my own standard) postings from GA for a long time. I think some of the old timers here still remember the old razor sharp toned GA. For me, I just see that he,
1) tones down and mellow a lot nowadays,
2) works very hard behind the scene, maemo.org council type of things,
3) works very hard in helping to make a smooth transition of the maemo talk thingy, (not to my likeness, but this is not the subject)
...AND nobody seems to notice/acknowledge that! I know, it is fun to pick on GA (me too, sometimes, he is such a celeb here) lets NOT overdo and drive GA into the other directions.
PB: sorry to hijack the thread, just want to stop the rain before it pours.
bun
Seconded. GA is sometimes terse and/or blunt in *how* he says things, which puts off some people (including me, sometimes :-), but *what* he says is most of the time totally correct.

One of the ways, I think, he gets misinterpreted is his tendency (to save time, certainly) to write in short sentences, precise to a fault, where each and every word has weight. This sort of communication only works if readers invest the same time and attention in reading the sentence and its true meaning : most readers here probably don't do that, some maybe don't even realise they should/could.

Another typical trait of intelligent/overextended people is to not suffer lightly (what they consider as) fools or foolish questions. Justified or not, this never goes well on the other side :-)

This in no way sums up the human being of course (it would be nice to see him in the flesh next Summit !), but these two particular aspects I have a lot of forgiveness for, because I know full well I tend to exhibit them myself... I'm just older and mellower :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
How about allowing thanks in the Off Topic forum for those who would like to/feel the need to thank posts that they like/appreciate, but not have any thanks in the Off Topic forum count in the karma calculation? (I know this might be a pain-in-the-*** to implement.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
How about allowing thanks in the Off Topic forum for those who would like to/feel the need to thank posts that they like/appreciate, but not have any thanks in the Off Topic forum count in the karma calculation? (I know this might be a pain-in-the-*** to implement.)
There's still the issue of the effect this will have on the community.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
GA, I think that's where we differ. I believe that if enough people believe strongly about any topic, its open for discussion. If a poll is put up, it will only help show the will of the community.
No, it'll show the will of the group of people who felt strongly enough to bother responding to a poll on Talk. Which is a subset of a subset of a subset of the community. It is not representative, it is not accurate, and it's not a great way to make decisions.

Decisions should be arrived at through consensus after discussions which seek to cover all relevant points of the issue. With polls, there is no consensus, just a decision by a small portion of the community that has little logic or real discussion behind it. Seeking consensus gives both strong reasoning to whatever decision is being arrived at, and a better average satisfaction with the result. It also reduces the tendency to entrench and helps reduce polarization.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Are we being too harsh on the GA? Honestly, I have NOT encountered any offense/irritating/rough to search sort of thing (of course, from my own standard) postings from GA for a long time. I think some of the old timers here still remember the old razar sharp toned GA. For me, I just see that he,
1) tones down and mellow alot nowadays,
2) works very hard behind the scene, maemo.org council type of things,
3) works very hard in helping to make a smooth transition of the maemo talk thingy, (not to my likeness, but this is not the subject)

...AND nobody seems to notice/acknowlegde that! I know, it is fun to pick on GA (me too, sometimes, he is such a celeb here) lets NOT overdo and drive GA into the other directions.

PB: sorry to hijack the thread, just want to stop the rain before it pours.

bun
Sorry, I missed a couple characters:
Wait. Did I just agree with GeneralAntilles? Crap.

Meant lighthearted and jokingly.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Voted "no," seconding the original reason GA cites.

Joe.

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-10 at 16:15. Reason: Edit: apparently I can't even type a single sentence correctly.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Decisions should be arrived at through consensus after discussions which seek to cover all relevant points of the issue. With polls, there is no consensus, just a decision by a small portion of the community that has little logic or real discussion behind it. Seeking consensus gives both strong reasoning to whatever decision is being arrived at, and a better average satisfaction with the result. It also reduces the tendency to entrench and helps reduce polarization.
Its not about making decisions, its about having open communication. IF a poll shows that reasonable segment of the community believes something. Itt should then be councils role to discuss this rationally without involving personal opinions.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Its not about making decisions, its about having open communication. IF a poll shows that reasonable segment of the community believes something.
Open communication has nothing at all to do with polls. If you have an issue that you want discussed, then bring it up (civilly, please). There's no need to run a silly poll to get things considered.

Itt should then be councils role to discuss this rationally without involving personal opinions.
I believe that Thanks! in an off-topic forum are a bad idea because they'll generate karma for things that shouldn't be generating karma and because I believe they would lead to hurt feelings and generally act against a united community. Are these irrational personal opinions?

I believe I was elected partially for my views on things, you're saying that I'm not allowed to use these views when arriving at decisions?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
GA, at this point it looks like you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing.

He's not any more above that than any of us are, to be sure, but in this case I believe he's right...

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I believe I was elected partially for my views on things ...
You don't think your status as the board sex symbol had anything to do with it?

Tags
forum, off-topic, poll, polls make my eyes burn, question