Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We want fewer forums, not more. I'd say we only need 'Alternatives', then somewhere for Mer to go.
Well as Mer grows its going to need seporate forums for like Applications and stuff since it runs more stuff that wont run on OS2008, also Mer works with more front ends then just Hildon so maybe a Mer Section like this

Mer General
-Devices
-Applcations
-Frontends

might even want some subforums under devices.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Well as Mer grows its going to need seporate forums for like Applications and stuff since it runs more stuff that wont run on OS2008, also Mer works with more front ends then just Hildon so maybe a Mer Section like this
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but for now, the amount of Mer traffic barely justifies a single forum.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There will always be a bit of a tension between those of us who like to keep our socks in one drawer, underpants in another, and undershirts in a third drawer, and those of us who like to keep all of the above in one big drawer.

I think that if the "Alternatives" section is going to be collapsed to a single category, you should consider collapsing the N800, N810 and Wimax into a single N8x0 forum; it should be clear from the thread title what device is being discussed.

In fact, why not a single forum, called "Hardware"? I think if someone has a 770 question, they'll make that clear. Or if someone has a question about the ill-fated, short-lived WiMax edition, they'll put that in the thread title. If someone asks about the built-in keyboard or GPS, it will be fairly obvious that they're not talking about the N800.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...you should consider collapsing the N800, N810 and Wimax into a single N8x0 forum...
I suspect you were qoling, but I like this idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I suspect you were qoling, but I like this idea.
Actually no, I was serious. We need to decide across the board; do we have big drawers or not?

Pun intended.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-11 at 17:36. Reason: I meant "No, I was serious" not "No, you don't like the idea" or "No, there is no Santa Claus"

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Why not both. You can watch all topics by going to the 'Alternatives' forum and see the specific forums by browsing into them if you prefer. Much like tagging.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'd like to see fewer forums, not more.
Me too. In fact I use just one category: "New Posts"

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If there is no agrement on the Alternatives sub-forums we can just keep the status quo. But let me try to convince you at least up to a reasonable level.

About merging devices, I think it's a good joke. Installing different alternatives is relatively easy, so a user might be potentially interested in many. Changing devices is more complicated if you don't have deep pockets.

Right now:

- Nokia N800 (27 Viewing)
3,036 threads (120 updated this year) & 27,623 posts

- Alternatives (13 Viewing) in total
368 threads (15 updated this year) & 8107 posts

Android 28 threads (10 updated this year) & 1.183 posts
Debian 70 (16) & 2976
KDE 135 (7) & 2015
Palm OS 110 (11) & 1295

And btw searching for "Mer" in titles gives 10 results. Not very scientific but should give an idea. So perhaps it's not worth to start with a Mer subforum either.

And promote subforums only when it's clear that a topic has enough traffic to deserve it. This is how forums use to grow organically.

Honestly, N800 and N810 might reasonably be merged, because a lot of questions that get asked in one really apply to both. On the other hand, none of this really matters, because people either search the whole site, or don't search at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Most threads in the N800 forum that apply also to the N810 and viceversa should probably belong to none, being the main candidates OS2008 or Apps.

Talk.maemo.org not only needs a reorganization and deprecation of forums, it also needs a better (more distributed) moderation. The cleaner and better sorted the forums are, the most likely new posters will post in the right forum.

And sorry but I don't think the majority of users go through all the New Posts. Some of us do, and you know it takes time and regular commitment. Most users look probably the top 10 in the home and perhaps their preferred couple of forums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org