Hello. This is my first post and I am a bit hesitant to ask these questions. I just bought a Nokia 770 off ebay, and it works great, the parts that I am able to use. But I have been watching Youtube videos and seeing some of the things that the 770 will do. Unfortunately, I can't make any of them happen. So here are the questions:

1. Orb. I have it installed on my desktop. The 770 goes to my.orb.com, sees the My Videos folder and how many videos are in it. Opens the folder, sees the videos and the thumbnails. Selects a video and I hit play. Video player opens and the 'real' logo pops up. But it never connects. I have Windows firewall turned off, and I am not running anything else.

2. VLC (video over lan). How does this work? All I keep getting is 'illegal instruction,' or 'cache 8192 not found.'

3. VNC. Didn't even come close to working.

I am thinking about just using this to play videos and mp3s and getting an IPAQ for the good stuff.

Thanks.

Poodle78, welcome to the forum!

I don't have a 770 so I can't really help with the three questions, but I'm sure someone will sooner or later.

One thing I would say though, is that the 770 is a very old gadget now (it was launched almost three years ago in 2005) so it's really not showing the tablets at their best. The N800 and N810 are far better in terms of hardware and software, and they're easier to use as well.

You did not state which version of the OS, assuming it is the stock one you might think about updating.

Whichever stock one you use the "play videos and mp3s" worked great for me. I am currently on 2007HE and have skype, etc. working. There are a few issues if you do go to the 2007HE OS and IMHO, if you are not into "learning/playing" with it and wish a usable non-problem "tool" then stay with the current stock version.

Word of warning, once you load ANY software it will effect everything as it is like "Windows" in that parts of the code previously loaded sometimes interferes with the running as when one uninstalls code is left behind.

RE-flashing does not seem to remove everything like a "new" install in windows does.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Probably the biggest drawback of the 770 is its limited storage space (128MB).

It's hard to tell how long this will last, but grab a 2GB MMCM card cheap so that you can boot from it and that alleviates the above problem.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17290

Originally Posted by here.david View Post
You did not state which version of the OS, assuming it is the stock one you might think about updating.
I have updated to the latest OS2007HE

Originally Posted by revwillie View Post
Probably the biggest drawback of the 770 is its limited storage space (128MB).

It's hard to tell how long this will last, but grab a 2GB MMCM card cheap so that you can boot from it and that alleviates the above problem.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17290
I have 2 2gb cards coming from Japan. Where would I learn about booting from a card?

Thanks

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Originally Posted by poodle78 View Post
I have 2 2gb cards coming from Japan. Where would I learn about booting from a card?

Thanks
You can start exploring here:

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowT...From_MMC_card/

have fun

OS2007HE doesn't play Orb video. It's player doesn't have Real Format Codec. You have to use 2006OS. I use it all the time and I love my 770. You just need to learn how to use it. And you don't really need to buy N800 or N810. 770 is good enough to play video and MP3 and a lot of other things, even watching TV and calling landlines over the internet.

Originally Posted by racky View Post
OS2007HE doesn't play Orb video. It's player doesn't have Real Format Codec. You have to use 2006OS. I use it all the time and I love my 770. You just need to learn how to use it. And you don't really need to buy N800 or N810. 770 is good enough to play video and MP3 and a lot of other things, even watching TV and calling landlines over the internet.
Thanks. I have decided to go back to OS2006. As far as Orb goes, I was able to determine yesterday that the problem with Orb was that my desktop wasn't letting it out. It kept telling me that it couldn't reach the right ports and to check my firewall, even though my Windows firewall was turned off and I'm not running anything else.

now that the kingston 2gb mmcm cards are so cheap, I have one loaded with os2006 and one with the latest 2007he. I just shutdown, swap cards, and boot back up into the OS I want. 2006 has a couple of advantages still, but I actually use the he more often these days. I prefer the bluetooth options and the improved wifi setup. On the other hand, it's more work to set up my BT DUN and the latest Maemo Mapper.