Active Topics

For the last week or so ive tried everything to reflash my 770 back to the latest o/s with no luck, it just wouldnt go into update mode or whatever its called when you hold the home button when turning on to get the usb icon in the top right corner.
I tried running a live knoppix and could get the update mode but have not got a clue how to use as it came with a deb. for dummies type book.so i unplugged the usb and reboot my windows and its still in updat mode so i run the nokia udater and get half way though then it stops as its at 100%, i tried this a few times with no luck,so i decidede to try an old laptop and done everything the instructions say dont do, i got the 770 into update mode using knoppix,why it wouldn't with xp is anyones guess, so i unplug the 770 with usb cable attached take it to an old laptop and it failed first time, but then i pulled the usb out of the device end and plugged it back in and without touching the home button or attempting to turn on holding the home button it suddenly became where i wanted it to be and 10 minutes later update was complete!
My advise DONT USE THE UBUNTU METHOD FOR GAINING RD MODE on your XP, after i did thats when my 770 wouldn't reflash ! The method thats on the wiki i used and it worked after a fewv attempts but it set up several connections and goosed my 770 !!

Fixed now though !! and for anyone like me who knows nothing but thinks i'll give it a go DONT ! U WILL GO GREY OVERNIGHT!!!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
What do you mean? I reflashed my 770 several times (once even into R&D mode), using Ubuntu in Vmware Player in Windows XP and it worked flawlessly every time. I'm sure I can hardly be called a Linux guru, by anyone's standards.

Edit: Almost forgot, I was already grey.

I've had no problem using knoppix to flash. But I have a knoppix install (installed debian) on my desktop. What is this windows you speak of?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
When you are falshing your 770 on Linux you do not have to press the home button read the instructions on the maemo site.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
When you are falshing your 770 on Linux you do not have to press the home button read the instructions on the maemo site.
SeRi@lDie - sorry but that is incorrect information. From the Wiki entry "HOWTO Flash Latest Nokia Image With Linux":

770: Now plug in the charger to switch on the 770 or switch it on using the power button WHILE holding the Home-button

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
SeRi@lDie - sorry but that is incorrect information. From the Wiki entry "HOWTO Flash Latest Nokia Image With Linux":
Sorry Milhouse but I never had to do that.
all I do is plug in the 770 and once it comes on it flashes away... never had to use the home and power button I think that part is useles unles you have a brick 770 I think thats the only time you have to use that combo... Just a guess but sincerly I had never done it that way and never had a problem.
Tell you the truth I dont think I never even read that far.

Basically i used the vmplayer to install rd mode after reflashing from the latest 06 OS back to 05 OS for the purpose of running a couple of scripts that needed thatv software(firmware) u know what i mean, i always got the blue usb icon instantly on top right of screen any time i used this method, it was only after installing vmware, ubuntu and the flasher onto the desktop that my 770 stopped working correctly! i am certainly no linux noob nevermind anything else although spending a few £££ on books devices etc,. to try and learn at the deep end. My theory is because from day 1 i used the WINDOWS! XP TO UPDATE SOFTWARE, problems only started when i used ubuntu to perform a flash! "remember just my theory" as ubuntu sneakily indstalled 2 wifi connections relegated mine to last and caused awhole host of probs! on an 8 week old laptop/ i aint crammed it full ov junk just yet! but ubuntu-vmware had a good go at it! jmo remember! but i is always rite!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
Sorry Milhouse but I never had to do that.
all I do is plug in the 770 and once it comes on it flashes away... never had to use the home and power button I think that part is useles unles you have a brick 770 I think thats the only time you have to use that combo... Just a guess but sincerly I had never done it that way and never had a problem.
Tell you the truth I dont think I never even read that far.
Maybe you're right - as a rule I follow instructions to the letter whenever I have to flash anything in order to avoid a potential brick!