Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Vancouver, BC
Since I didn't see anything like it yet, I've just thrown this up.

It's an incredibly crude program (It's my very first maemo app and even C!) so good luck with it It works for me so perhaps someone else might possibly find it useful

It shows the
  1. current speed
  2. distance travelled
  3. time elapsed since program start
  4. a 500 second graph of speed
  5. current time
It throws the data it gets from gpsd into a file in the same directory as the binary called "gps_log.txt". I was hoping that I could get the nmea data but couldn't quite figure it out. It also keeps the screen on during use via display_blanking_pause osso call.

I've given up on the internal GPS and use an external bluetooth one instead.

It's just a single binary and you can download the bashed together version

Note, I had to update /var/lib/gps/gps_BT_devices before it recognized my external gps. Not sure what's up with that. Writing in gtk/hildon/etc is still kind of voodoo for me.

It's rather inaccurate. I'm up to 5km/h sitting down and when walking around, I've managed to get to 15km/h. I've got really long legs! Tried using the velocity data from gpsd but I only received that information intermittently so I'm now just calculating the velocity myself using a 5 second average.

If anyone thinks they could do a better, job, well, PLEASE DO! I got a wee bit desperate so ended up throwing this together. I'd be thrilled if someone that knew what they were doing could code something.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
There is an app called speedometer, and it does relatively the same. Also, there is eCoach, which is perfect for this kind of thing.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Thanks for that, I've never heard of either of those apps. Speedometer looks quite promising. Unfortunately, while ecoach looks absolutely awesome, it's probably not for me: I must be getting old, I can't read text that small when I'm riding . Might end up using both at the same time though since the post-analysis abilities are intriguing.

Cheers!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by aki View Post
Since I didn't see anything like it yet, I've just thrown this up.
I was planning to make a gps application with a biga** display like your but Im still limited to my poor python skills (that should access pretty easily to gps through 'easy' module . I was thinking to dive a bit into C so I would love study your code for 'inspiration' :
any chance to have the source?
In any case Kudos and thank you for sharing.

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

Originally Posted by ciroip View Post
I was thinking to dive a bit into C so I would love study your code for 'inspiration' :
any chance to have the source?
Sure, please feel free. I'll release it to the public domain. Do it become so if I just say it? I hope so, it'll be like magic! *waves arms* it is away! If it makes anyone so frustrated about bad code that they hurt themselves, it's not my fault!

I would say though, that you should probably study someone else's code if you want to learn something. Speedometer seems to have some nice stuff in there regarding event hooks and such. This code was mostly auto-generated via glade-2 with my little bits and bobs bunged into main.c

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by aki View Post
Sure, please feel free. I'll release it to the public domain. Do it become so if I just say it? I hope so, it'll be like magic! *waves arms* it is away! If it makes anyone so frustrated about bad code that they hurt themselves, it's not my fault!

I would say though, that you should probably study someone else's code if you want to learn something. Speedometer seems to have some nice stuff in there regarding event hooks and such. This code was mostly auto-generated via glade-2 with my little bits and bobs bunged into main.c
I like challenges and I'm from the 'bad code fast release' school.
If it'll hurt too much I can always give up with serious high alcohol programming and return drinking my python milkshake...

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Following User Says Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ciroip View Post
I like challenges and I'm from the 'bad code fast release' school.... python milkshake...
Wait..., "bad code fast release" and "python"? I didn't think that was possible.

I'm normally a perl programmer: I thought that's what python coders teased perl programmers about.

It would be nice to have the elevation changes recorded as well and available as a graph as you did with speed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Perhaps like how they do for Le Tour

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Personally.. I would prefer to see this application continued. I like where it's going as a dedicated biking app--the idea of show elevation and/or showing it as a 500 second graph alongside or instead of the speed graph would be EXCELLENT.

It would be darned near perfect if it would also write out a trip file so that it can later be reviewed on Google Maps or in some fitness sites or software.

Thanks for releasing the source, btw. As far as what you need to do, you're automatically the copyright owner--just put your license (public domain, GPL version x, etc.) in the C header. I think that's all you need to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: