Active Topics

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Next, we have the iPhone [...] (never really looked at C#, so can't voice my opinion here).
you mean Objective-C, right?
C# is what's used for WP7

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
you mean Objective-C, right?
C# is what's used for WP7
Right, my bad
(Never looked at either, so my point stands)

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Why not develop for Beagleboard or Panda?

(there is an unused forum waiting for content! They can go here - its empty!

I plan on buying (IF!) a meego device, but I would like an A9 dual core.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Now is the best time for any mobile device creator to start making MeeGo their prime strategy!

The project is very much alive, and has support from at least Intel and AMD, and a few others, including still Nokia.
But now, after yesterday's announcement, as a device manufacturer, you don't have to fear to have massive competition from Nokia on your hands soon within the still small MeeGo ecosystem - which is good as you can easily get even #1 on this emerging market.
You have a great community of Maemo and MeeGo enthusiasts that already now await any device that runs that system - without you even building up any market. Nokia has already done that for you as well as made most of the system available, they just didn't make use of what they created. You can.
And if you dare to play the openness card and mean it, you have not just enthusiasts there, you have an army of betatesters and developers for your devices and software who are more than willing to work with you (without any payment - though they'd love device donations to help testing) to make the devices and software better. And they'll do a lot of spreading the word, helping your marketing, also basically for free! (Well, all they take for it is the rights to their own freedom.)

About the only thing you need to give up is the "boom" effect of presenting the new device, as the community will know about it during development. But then, this even works well for a lot of software projects.

You instantly gain a fellowship of your products even when they're not out in the open yet, and people who are willing to help you to make the product a success. Which device manufacturer can say that?

I go, we go, you go MeeGo. Now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KaiRo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Android's cool and all, and everyone knows that, but as a developer, I'd have to learn Java to program for it,
That's not necessarily true.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
I'd have to learn Java to program for it
Yesterday on weekly meeting I learned that it is not completely true - new NDK allows a native app (C++) to get access to Android resources.

However, it is a different exosphere in comparison with Linux.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Yesterday on weekly meeting I learned that it is not completely true - new NDK allows a native app (C++) to get access to Android resources.
Right, that's how Firefox 4 Mobile works on Android.

Not that this makes the robot OS any more free or cuts the chords from sending data to a single vendor or anything like that...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by KaiRo View Post
Right, that's how Firefox 4 Mobile works on Android.

Not that this makes the robot OS any more free or cuts the chords from sending data to a single vendor or anything like that...
That is not easy - now even Firefox checks with blacklist pages ("to prevent malicious web pages") or just have a continuation suggestion your search string...

I would also like to believe that Meego is more alive than ever. But, as can be easily read outside, Microsoft is not gonna allow Meego to have any significant role within Nokia. It is not that Nokia is using win7, it is that Microsoft is using exclusively Nokia for win7.

But, one could think as it has been said here, that we will see good Meego phones (one per year?) from Nokia, and a group of people working on it permanently (after all, they own the Qt technology, don't they?), but then I read the next

Yesterday's announcement by Nokia that it's switching to Windows Phone 7 as its primary smartphone platform has already had, and will continue to have, great repercussions for plenty of parties besides the Finnish company and its new best bud Microsoft. One of the biggest effects of that deal was that Nokia now no longer considers MeeGo -- the open-source OS it was co-developing with Intel -- an item of priority, classifying it as a "learning project." No prizes for guessing Intel's nowhere near happy about that, but would you have also guessed Nokia kept Chipzilla in the dark about its new direction until the day it announced it to the world? Such is the word from TechCrunch's well placed sources, who also say that Nokia dedicated only a three-man external team to the development of UI customizations for MeeGo. Not exactly the hugest investment in the world, we'd say, and when you consider Nokia and Microsoft already have concept devices drawn up, you've got to think plans to abandon MeeGo as a sincere flagship strategy were materializing in Espoo a long time before this event. It would probably have been nice to tell Intel, though, just to be classy. Hit the source link for more detail, including confirmation that Nokia's N9-00, its first planned MeeGo device, was canned -- apparently due to complaints from operators about its hinge.
engadget.com

Only 3 person team??? And this was much before the announcement? They have never had the intention to do something real with Meego.

So in my opinion, two main concerns are over the table. First, the Intel leadership. Before meego Intel was working in Moblin. So, do we have to expect now another Moblin? If they weren't capable before, why should they be capable now? I have sincere doubts. Second, what will happen with Qt. Sometimes I think that one of Microsoft's intention was to kill Qt, and with that in mind, this has been a perfect movement.

So, who is gonna buy a Nokia Meego device now? Knowing that perhaps it will be the last? Knowing that developers will be looking at other markets (lack of basic apps)? Knowing that Microsoft won't allow that device to be something more than a poor experiment?

And how is Intel going to take care of Meego now, if in one year with Nokia they haven't been capable of having a running version yet.

Our only hope is to see an amazing new Meego device in this year. Good enough to create momentum, and to atract everybody to it. But, I'm afraid this is only based on hope, not on consistent facts. What's the experience of Intel in OS???

Damn, I'm depressed.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Android - Why not use App Inventor?

Tags
buysomethinelse, maemo fail