Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Well, I guess that's a real matter of personal preference then, because I personally thought the N900 was perfect in it's size, including the keyboard I'm a big guy (1.95m) with big hands, by the way.
well, me to. But I still find browsing this forum way more comfortable on my current 5.7" phone without HWK than it ever was on N900 with HWK. And it's even more comfortable on 10" tablet. Not to mention proper 15" laptop. And this is as simple as it gets layout.

It's simple, the more content I see the more easier it is to do things. Now, some compromises has to be made and at some point mobile is not exactly "mobile" any more but at the same time, 3-4" screen is not exactly better suited for work than 5-6" screen.
Now, I don't know old are you and when you started with smartphones, but all of us old farts that used Palms/Treos, R380, NOKIA communicators and othere geeky stuff back then are used to bigger size. And the benefit of modern screen to size ratio makes new devices waaaaay more comfortable to work on than before.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Kinggo, for me it the size of the device not so much the size of the screen.

I would love a full screen device. But I like the size of say the iPhone 6/7 as a good size for the pocket and ease of carrying. I cam to the realization that many ppl carry around their phone not for the addiction of content ... but also because they just don't fit in pockets the way they used to.

So keyboard as big as possible, screen as big as possible ... but device as small as possible

x

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, modern flagships require deeper pockets anyway so.........
I had Dell streak back in the days and I was claiming that's the future and everybody was LOLing and telling me that I'm crazy. Now I have XZ2 which is roughly the same size but with bigger screen.
I was always going for the bigger screen so I was never in a situation that I had to jump from 4" to 6" because my "compact" died. It was always a choice.
At some point I had galaxy tab P1000 and I used that as a phone
Now, that was not pocketable but after experience with so many different sizes I know that 150-160x70-80 mm is fine for me. Going back to 4.5" of Jolla 1 was more of an issue than it was a Streak for the first time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's simple, the more content I see the more easier it is to do things.
That's true, but I'd add that doing things with a keyboard also makes those interactions a whole different story. I remember my N900 and its small screen (which I liked), and I also remember my N9 with about the same screen size and its snappier browser. The N900 killed the comparison, doesn't matter how much I loved my N9, browsing on the N900 with its stylus felt so natural.

Actually, while browsing anything that might require me to interact or type something is still painful as of today when I use my touchscreen devices (even the bigger ones), I didn't feel any of this frustration with the full screen estate + keyboard + stylus of the N900. Plus touchscreen-only devices also imply this constant awareness requirement we all feel, trying not to touch the screen involuntarily and move the view, which gets old really fast, something that was a non-issue when holding the N900 keyboard. But I have a problem with touch interactions (yet I remember how excited I was when I got my first touch screen on an old Samsung feature phone): it's funny to think that if I was offered to browse a forum for one day (and nothing else allowed) on an N900 or on a modern laptop with just a touchpad, I'd probably pick the N900.

The Pro1 is going to be really cool in that regard. I'll miss the stylus badly, but the device has plenty to offer to make me focus on the positive sides.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-08-13 at 21:30.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Anyone notice on the FAQ section under preorder it says shipping date September?
Could've sworn it used to say second week of September...
Did the launch get pushed back again?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
[...]
How do you read 'develop your own OS' when I say 'free bootloader to load whatever you want'?
Because that is already promised!?!
Including no break of warranty, if you manage to flash back to Android.

I wonder, have you followed the development of the Neo900, and do you know why so much effort was put into separating the memory used by the phone's modem from the memory used by the CPU/rest of the system?
a. Yes, quite closely.
BTW, the Librem, PinePhone etc. use the same design principle: No shared memory and no Bus Mastering from a separate modem.

b. If the there is no shared memory and no Bus Mastering from a separate modem, a "kill switch" makes basically no difference.

c. When an integrated modem is used, a true "hardware kill switch" is impossible.
But a separate modem needs extra power, space, costs etc.

d. With a Qualcomm SoC as in the Pro1 an (technically excellent) integrated modem comes for free, while NXP's (Librem) and Allwinner's (PinePhone) SoCs lack one, because they are designed for embedded control applications; hence they have to use a separate modem anyway.

e. I doubt that a true "hardware kill switch" will work fine even for a separate modem, so I am really curious to see how these switches are implemented in the final schematics (of e.g. Librem and PinePhone) and / or to hear how well they works in practice.

But yes, I am long convinced that there is a small but very vocal group of believers, who direly want something called "hardware kill switch", even if it makes the device bigger, heavier, more expensive, running hotter, reduces battery runtime etc.
Still I do not believe that this group will generate significant sales, especially as the niche of devices with "hardware kill switches" is already occupied by two at the moment.
But a separate modem, when technically unneeded, would reduce the appeal of a device for the average user.

Last edited by olf; 2019-08-14 at 21:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
How do you read 'develop your own OS' when I say 'free bootloader to load whatever you want'?
No, you didn't say that. You said:
I'm hoping that the next device (Pro2? Pro2 S? ) will be a lot smaller, and will be fully 'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.) and with hardware kill-switches for at least cameras and microphone.
>>'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.)

No lib-hybris basically means going Purism way. Using only components with open drivers available, and creating your operating system on that base. Which leads obviously to:
1. Very few options for hardware at all, and most of them outdated already (well, some people do not mind, but it makes even harder to make it succeed. Many people are already complaining of 'outdated' cpu of the Pro1, which is still quite top-tier, if compared to open source ones available)
2. Creating a new operating system (or at least parts of it) takes time. Long time. Which results as even more outdated hardware when (/if) the phone ever gets ready. This is exactly what's happening with Purism right now (and Necuno too I guess). And happened to Jolla years ago, even as they used libhybris etc.

But I guess the most important part of your message was
I'm hoping[...]
There's always hope! New hope given by Luke Skywalker or some new Hope Tech components, or something else.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
new Hope Tech components, or something else.
Bonus points for injecting a classic Mt. Bike brand into your point

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-08-14 at 16:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
No, you didn't say that. You said:

>>'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.)

No lib-hybris basically means going Purism way. Using only components with open drivers available, and creating your operating system on that base. Which leads obviously to:
1. Very few options for hardware at all, and most of them outdated already (well, some people do not mind, but it makes even harder to make it succeed. Many people are already complaining of 'outdated' cpu of the Pro1, which is still quite top-tier, if compared to open source ones available)
2. Creating a new operating system (or at least parts of it) takes time. Long time. Which results as even more outdated hardware when (/if) the phone ever gets ready. This is exactly what's happening with Purism right now (and Necuno too I guess). And happened to Jolla years ago, even as they used libhybris etc.

But I guess the most important part of your message was

There's always hope! New hope given by Luke Skywalker or some new Hope Tech components, or something else.
There is no requirement to build your own operating system if you are using kernel drivers, that's just crazy.

Sailfish works fine without libhybris provided the hardware has kernel drivers, as do others in the space like Plasma Mobile, Ubuntu Touch .etc. Even Android could be a possibility using open kernel drivers

Purism chose to make their own OS for their own reasons, others like Pine phone and Necunos certainly aren't doing that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I have had purchases blocked by my bank. After I contacted my bank and explained it to them I tried the purchase again and it went through.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit