Notices

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well, that sounds like the files are being downloaded fine. For the completer piece of mind, just check the maps downloaded at your current zoom level (MyDocs/.maps/OpenStretMapI/18/...) are shown correctly in Photos. Otherwise it looks like a render problem in Modrana.

The last thing I would try before blaming Modrana is, delete all the maps (just rename OpenStreetMapI and OpenStreetMapII to something else while Modrana is not running), then start Modrana and let the maps download again. There may be some weird caching problem.

I don't see anything suspicious in your log files, BTW, but I am hardly an expert.
I renamed the directories and started modrana, but still grey screen. Tried downloading tiles, which completed, but I noticed that the only new directory that was written under .maps is monav_data. There is no new OpenSteetMap I or II folders. Modrana is not writting new folders and saving the tiles. Changed to Google maps and still nothing.

@malfunctioning
Yes, I connect to internet then start Modrana and wait till I get a GPS lock before doing anything.

I tried Marble and again, it works well. It wrote a new OpenStreetMap I folder and saved new tiles under 16 folder.

It seems something is wrong in Modrana. I thought I would mention this before I reinstall the application as suggested.

Thanks to all for your help so far.
Sunil

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sunil View Post
I renamed the directories and started modrana, but still grey screen. Tried downloading tiles, which completed, but I noticed that the only new directory that was written under .maps is monav_data. There is no new OpenSteetMap I or II folders. Modrana is not writting new folders and saving the tiles. Changed to Google maps and still nothing.
)
@malfunctioning
Yes, I connect to internet then start Modrana and wait till I get a GPS lock before doing anything.

I tried Marble and again, it works well. It wrote a new OpenStreetMap I folder and saved new tiles under 16 folder.

It seems something is wrong in Modrana. I thought I would mention this before I reinstall the application as suggested.

Thanks to all for your help so far.
Sunil
One more thing to try - try renaming the ~/.modrana directory - this is where all modRana settings are stored. If you (re)move it, modRana will recreate it with default settings.

BTW, from the log files it looks like you are using the sqlite tile storage backend, so maybe also try to switch to the files backend.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
A little request: In the user configuration file, you can set the map folder and the tracklog folder to be anywhere. However, modrana insists in reading POI data and offline navigation data from the MyDocs/.maps/ folder. I think it would be more logical for modrana to read those from wherever the user has configured the maps folder to be. Especially since FAT32 doesn't support linking.
This path was initially used for compatibility with Maemo MApper/Mappero - the modRana POI database format is based on & compatible with the Mapper/Mappero one. POI database sharing is off by default but can be enabled in Options->POI->POI storage.

This should be an easy change. Pretty please? My MyDocs partition is kind of hosed...

Or at worst, add two additional configuration variables: nav_folder and poi_folder.
Sure, it definitely makes sense to add a configuration file option to redirecting the POI database storage path, so noted.

I don't know, but modrana QML is deprecated, to the best of my knowledge. Everybody seems to use modrana (no QML).
Yeah, unless someone steps up to maintain it or to develop it further, it is pretty much depreciated at this point. Still, I think I'll try to at least keep it working in its current state on a reasonable effort basis. Also I'm thinking about splitting it to a subpackage as it currently drags in quite a big amount of dependencies even for people using only the GTK GUI.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
This path was initially used for compatibility with Maemo MApper/Mappero - the modRana POI database format is based on & compatible with the Mapper/Mappero one. POI database sharing is off by default but can be enabled in Options->POI->POI storage.

Sure, it definitely makes sense to add a configuration file option to redirecting the POI database storage path, so noted.
Understood, and thank you very much, M4rtink!

Yeah, unless someone steps up to maintain it or to develop it further, it is pretty much depreciated at this point. Still, I think I'll try to at least keep it working in its current state on a reasonable effort basis. Also I'm thinking about splitting it to a subpackage as it currently drags in quite a big amount of dependencies even for people using only the GTK GUI.
I assume you want to maintain at least minimal support so as to not abandon completely that part of your project (which you have devoted many hours to)? When I started using the N900 I naturally gravitated towards using the QDL version of programs like modrana and cuteTube, because I assumed the QDL versions would be newer and more full featured, which then I learned isn't true. I wonder if anybody at all uises modrana QML. The idea of a separate subpackage is good!

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
MartinK: Any plans connected with Mapnik? You said you were to test it shortly after then.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Pretoria, South Africa
One more thing to try - try renaming the ~/.modrana directory - this is where all modRana settings are stored. If you (re)move it, modRana will recreate it with default settings.

BTW, from the log files it looks like you are using the sqlite tile storage backend, so maybe also try to switch to the files backend.
Bingo, it worked. Renamed the .modrana folder and it created a new one and it all works perfectly. Apparently the user_config.conf on old folder was dated 2012, so when the versions were updated, this file remained intact, hence messing the sofware.

Fyi, i did try switching between files and sqlite but it did not help.

I now, finally , have Modrana working well. Will keep testing and let you know if I find any bugs.

Thank you very much to all for your kind assistance.
Sunil

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
MartinK: Any plans connected with Mapnik? You said you were to test it shortly after then.
I've (finally!) started on the actual modRana vector map rendering support. The plan is to have a pipeline like this:
  • vector geometry data source
  • filtering
  • styling
  • rendering
The idea is to have the individual stages more or less independent so that different implementations can be swapped out. Also in some cases multiple stages could be covered by a single implementation (this could be the case for Mapnik - it looks like it should be able to cover styling + rendering and maybe even geometry filtering).

At the moment I'm about done with investigating various existing vector data formats. So far none of them seems to be really suitable for what we need - they are often quite undocumented, don't have fast geographic area access (eq. you can't quickly get data for a given geographic area) or require complex dependencies to generate and/read them.

Therefore I'd probably just settle for a semi-custom vector data storage format based on the time-proven modRana sqlite tile database format. Just instead of the png/jpg blobs stored for the individual tiles there will be (optionally compressed) OSM data for the given tile.

Once I have a working data source (which should be hopefully quite soon), I'd like to start investigating rendering backends, including Mapnik.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
It's great!

There are lots of vector maps to be downloaded from the OSM webpage for the whole countries (for example this: http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/poland.html). It's particularly useful as you can download the maps for the whole country at once. Will modrana support this?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Haha looks like 3d maps are near btw able to download whole countries would simplyfy things and are there plans for including here maps ?

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
This sounds great.

But I'm moving out... setting up an Xperia Z3 Compact and it will be my main phone by the end of this week.

Martin, thanks again for your work, it was a donation well spent!

If you (or anybody else) goes to Fosdem, let's meet and have a beer.

And I'm looking forward to modRana on Android
(f-droid is a great FOSS repository for Android)

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps