Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
It is theoretically possible but is not something that has been implemented so far. There are two main issues:

1. It will require repartition of the device. Android encrypts the largest partition known as userdata, so it can not be used to store the alternative OS and a separate partition needs to be created like it was done on Gemini PDA.
2. Bootloader modifications to provide minimal boot menu and ability to boot from alternate boot partition (at least for dual-boot).
Thanks for the details !
What about using the sd-card for storing the separate partition ? Or even directly booting on it ?
Could that be possible/easy/fast to do ?
It would have the main advantage to be more difficult to brick the device if you only need to take out the sd-card and reflash it in case of mishap. But it has probably also a lot of drawbacks I can't think of right now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
https://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Thanks for the details !
What about using the sd-card for storing the separate partition ? Or even directly booting on it ?
Could that be possible/easy/fast to do ?
It would have the main advantage to be more difficult to brick the device if you only need to take out the sd-card and reflash it in case of mishap. But it has probably also a lot of drawbacks I can't think of right now.
SD card can store separate partition for alternate OS rootfs, but there is no support for booting from it in bootloader, so there still has to be a way to load Linux kernel + ramdisk + dtb of main storage.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
10th anniversary of the N900 soon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I can confirm for bootloader, instead of "unlockable", it's "unlocked" with factory state, so there is no need to manually unlock it. In theory you don't even need to boot into Android, just press vol - and power key to get to bootloader and do whatever you like.
I have understood that some apps (for example banking apps) won't work if the device has unlocked bootloader. How is it with Pro1, will all Android apps work?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I have understood that some apps (for example banking apps) won't work if the device has unlocked bootloader. How is it with Pro1, will all Android apps work?
I don't know but doesn't they check only if the OS is rooted or not?
Do they have option (API) also of checking if bootloader is locked?

I assume they may only check if the device it is rooted - am I wrong?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
I don't know but doesn't they check only if the OS is rooted or not?
Do they have option (API) also of checking if bootloader is locked?

I assume they may only check if the device it is rooted - am I wrong?
I tried googling it a bit, and it seems that certain apps will check for both root and unlocked bootloader.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/c...ke_netflix_on/

There are ways around this, the one I think is most relevant for a stock Pro1 is the modified kernel mentioned in this post. I don't know enough about it to know if that's actually applicable though. The other methods mentioned seem less like something a phone supplier would do, like using Magisk.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
On a Fairphone2 with LineageOS with root, I use iSu for hiding the root. Works well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Shirabe View Post
I tried googling it a bit, and it seems that certain apps will check for both root and unlocked bootloader.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/c...ke_netflix_on/

There are ways around this, the one I think is most relevant for a stock Pro1 is the modified kernel mentioned in this post. I don't know enough about it to know if that's actually applicable though. The other methods mentioned seem less like something a phone supplier would do, like using Magisk.
https://customroms.net/faq/safetynet-android/

I think that reddit post was not 100% correct. I think that maybe it's more to do with an altered bootloader state compared to when the device was certified/shipped. Which would mean in the Pro1's case, safetynet would trigger if you somehow locked the bootloader. This is getting too confusing for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Maemo Leste would be dank AF on the Pro1, especially if they port or reverse engineer osso-notes!
"Dank AF?" The "AF" part I get -- what the dictionary in its deadpan style calls a meaningless intensifier, -- but what's the "dank". In English it's an adjective meaning "dark and damp" and I'm pretty certain that's not the meaning here . . .

And ya, would love Leste on Pro1. Hope everybody keeps buying my eBay stuff so I can get one someday.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit