Poll: Do you want/need a portrait mode support for the N900 stock vkb?
Poll Options
Do you want/need a portrait mode support for the N900 stock vkb?

Should have added the link, I guess: http://wiki.maliit.org/Plugins#Swype

I'm glad someone is taking on this project

Never even tried the stock vkb before reading this post It's really not too bad, even if the keys in portrait mode are really thin and you can't get to the other input modes.

ill wait for this

Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Just to let everyone know, if I do write this, it will be a functionally-identical copy of the current VKB libraries, specifically libhildon-im-vkbrenderer. If someone wants a new virtual keyboard with portrait support or whatever else, they will need to do it themselves based on my work
This is an excellent plan. Thank you for taking it on.

A few questions.
1. Do you plan to do a version for the english-netherlands h/w setup, on another language/layout, or just the setup and get those who want each vkb to do it themselves, based on what you're doing?

2 Did you find out how to edit the list of characters available in the pop-up window for symbols (Fn + Sym)? If so, what was the outcome?

3. Very off topic but I believe it's you who's been looking into browserd (as per MWKN). If this is you and you have the time, please would you post a new thread or note in the wiki elaborating on what this means? The lists message was quite brief. If it wasn't you or you don't have the time - nevermind.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Just to let everyone know, if I do write this, it will be a functionally-identical copy of the current VKB libraries, specifically libhildon-im-vkbrenderer. If someone wants a new virtual keyboard with portrait support or whatever else, they will need to do it themselves based on my work
im sure a lot of devs have been wanting to put proper portrait mode support to the stock vkb but they are stuck since it is close sourced. but now that you are cloning it, your work will serve as the gateway of some sort

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This is an excellent plan. Thank you for taking it on.

A few questions.
1. Do you plan to do a version for the english-netherlands h/w setup, on another language/layout, or just the setup and get those who want each vkb to do it themselves, based on what you're doing?

2 Did you find out how to edit the list of characters available in the pop-up window for symbols (Fn + Sym)? If so, what was the outcome?

3. Very off topic but I believe it's you who's been looking into browserd (as per MWKN). If this is you and you have the time, please would you post a new thread or note in the wiki elaborating on what this means? The lists message was quite brief. If it wasn't you or you don't have the time - nevermind.
1.This is just planned to be a pure clone of the virtual keyboard rendering library, nothing more. What people do with it in terms of expanding the logic is up to them.
2.If we had a version of gen_vkb that worked with the N900, editing those files would be easy. But we dont have the right version for the N900. (the version that is out there doesn't support certain newer features of the vkb format). There are tools out there that claim to edit the vkb files but I dont know how usable they are.
and 3.Cloning browserd is aimed at helping people expand the N900 browser, including possibly bringing in a newer Gecko version. Cloning the browser UI is not possible but with the work I have done, it should be possible for someone with knowledge of Gecko internals to improve the browser stuff.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
i want it and i hope it support Arabic too

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.bot For This Useful Post: