Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
The level at which some trolls are flooding this entire forum is alarming.

Every single thread seems to have been flooded lately with pointless, unconstructive, trying-to-be-funny reply messages.

It's really annoying to see active topics that spark my interest being spammed out by trolls with pointless meme pictures and irrelevant information.

I wish the moderators/community council could do something about that.

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have to say I am not totally of different mind; there are lots of off-topic postings (but at least some stay in offtopic forum)

However for me that is not a great problem, one can easily skip the posts not relevant to one's focus.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
I wish you will find a buyer!!!!11!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
However for me that is not a great problem, one can easily skip the posts not relevant to one's focus.
If you are following the thread, I second that. But I you stumble over a thread and want to find relevant information it's not so easy with all this posts.

The problem I see is, where to draw the line. Sometimes the offtopic posts are really funny, and I think it would be really boring, if there were NO posts like that. But yes I'm often also annoyed from the sheer mass of nonsense posts.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Guilty! I try to learn. Was before in social media and learned bad habits. Sorry folks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Guilty! I only post in two threads but can be pretty intense with my posting since Nokia abandoned Maemo! Yeah, and also before that petty much all the time when we are close to release.

I also find TMO a place to shot first and not ask question later instead of of ask question nicely as well as state intent of a specific thread in the initial post!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-01-17 at 15:59.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guilty! I'll shut my fingers up now. Bye.

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
ooooh boy
guilty too...sure I'll tone it down.
You are using a very broad brush painting folks as trolls is a harsh one though.
hell half a post I write may be on topic and answering a question or solution to a prob, and the other half larking around...
hell everyone has gone off topic somewhere sometime...
no one is lily white and faultless if we are speaking of staying on topic...

The issue of finding relevant information in the forum here has ALWAYS been a challenge to sift through threads and posts of conversation,
that has been this place from day one.
Don't take my word for it, do searches pertaining to any topic here as far back as the beginning of this place, you will find topical posts, quasi topical posts and barely-hanging-by-a-thread posts, and straying off topic posts...
Dating back all the way to 2005...
Long before I or most of the current members have been here.

Actually if one does a search,
One of the first things I did when joining here was try to find a SOLUTION to this dilemma, not just call folks out and paint them as trolls.
I attempted to implement a method of being able to accurately sift at a click and find what query was being searched for.
Not an easy thing to do,
hell... I still am working on the project, though it seems dormant in the "garage" here.

I don't think what is wished for here is moderation from a moderator though,
I think what is desired here is absolute control over what people write, how they write it, the exact percentage of content and whether or not it meets a specific standard of specific approval....by specific people.

Here ...over time ..
I have seen the Grammar Police,
the Syntax Police,
the Post-to-long-didn't-read Police,
and now Content Police.

So ...if a post is not even close to the topic sure...you are right.

But
If a post is humour based on topic ...what then?

if a post has exact information in it that is pertinent and important...and as well has superfluous, reminiscences, or humourous content in it...what then?

If a post is:
asking a question, repeatedly even (if no one responds) ,
a new or old member asks questions that have already been answered elsewhere,
agreeing with another,
or disagreeing,
is that considered "content"?
Or is the above considered "fill"? taking up useless space and detracting from the ability to find relevant information?

If a post has bona fide complaint and concern in it, wish to inform others of said concern, to inform and warn, but it offends the agenda of some...(such as Dave's past issues and concerns for example) ...what then? does that paint them as troll? Some have done so. And I believe that that is SO offensive as to be considered morally repugnant.

So...
Where is the "cut-off"?
Since all are guilty here
What is the desired exact content percentage in a post?
Please specify the Draconian rules one wishes to insist on.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-01-17 at 18:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
ooooh boy
guilty too...sure I'll tone it down.
You are using a very broad brush painting folks as trolls is a harsh one though.
hell half a post I write may be on topic and answering a question or solution to a prob, and the other half larking around...
hell everyone has gone off topic somewhere sometime...
no one is lily white and faultless if we are speaking of staying on topic...

The issue of finding relevant information in the forum here has ALWAYS been a challenge to sift through threads and posts of conversation,
that has been this place from day one.
Don't take my word for it, do searches pertaining to any topic here as far back as the beginning of this place, you will find topical posts, quasi topical posts and barely-hanging-by-a-thread posts, and straying off topic posts...
Dating back all the way to 2005...
Long before I or most of the current members have been here.

I don't think what is wished for here is moderation from a moderator though,
I think what is desired here is absolute control over what people write, how they write it, the exact percentage of content and whether or not it meets a specific standard of specific approval....by specific people.

Here ...over time ..
I have seen the Grammar Police,
the Syntax Police,
the Post-to-long-didn't-read Police,
and now Content Police.

So ...if a post is not even close to the topic sure...you are right.

But
If a post is humour based on topic ...what then?
if a post has exact information in it that is pertinent and important...and as well has superfluous, reminiscences, or humourous content in it...what then?
Where is the "cut-off"?
Since all are guilty here
What is the desired exact content percentage in a post?
Please specify the Draconian rules one wishes to insist on.
You do not nesserley have to tune down. It could be that you are on a superior level and others have to tune up to level.

It’s indeed very user specific what is meant.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I'm quite new here and have wondered is there a part in this forum where there are only instructions to specific stuff? So that there would be the talk section where people chat over different topics but then another place where there are clear and detailed instructions made based on what knowledge people have shared on the talk threads? Maybe I should start to search the forum more. It is just that on many threads people are talking of the hack this guy made or the patch another one made and with those things work and older members seem to know this stuff. But is there a place if a new member comes and he could start to follow instructions how to make the most out of N900? I found couple instructions about the perfect setup for N900 but those didn't include the hacks and patches I've seen discussed or mentioned about on different threads. And I did it again. Of the topic. Darn me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
trollbait