Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Well, feel free to code up a bittorrent based version of APT
Well, GOOD NEWS! It's already been done.
http://sianka.free.fr/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Why on earth you people do not have proper way to communcate on server issues.

I have tried to follow updates from official source about TMO sitsuation:
http://maemo.org/news/
http://maemo.org/
http://maemo.org/news/announcements/

And total silence. Why?

Itīs nice that reggie is updating his twitter account (found it after i was able to read this thread :|) but oh boy :| Where is official maemo.org twitter account or facebook account etc. Shouldnīt council at least be interested in these kinds of matter?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
get ready for another outage, every time its approached 2400 viewers today its gone down

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Why on earth you people do not have proper way to communcate on server issues.

I have tried to follow updates from official source about TMO sitsuation:
http://maemo.org/news/
http://maemo.org/
http://maemo.org/news/announcements/

And total silence. Why?

Itīs nice that reggie is updating his twitter account (found it after i was able to read this thread :|) but oh boy :| Where is official maemo.org twitter account or facebook account etc. Shouldnīt council at least be interested in these kinds of matter?
What do you mean by "you people?"

All kidding aside, I entirely agree. I still stand by my earlier suggestion to just do the smartest thing and use a bittorent method of upgrades and/or apt. It would absolutely cut down on all the unnecessary waste of bandwidth and server resources for Maemo/Nokia/whatever.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Funny (or not) thing is that TMO goes down for me all the time. Even before today I'll be reading and it will go down for hours. Now I don't know where the servers are and I'm in Phoenix usually accessing it from work during swing shift, so maybe Reggie is just asleep when it happens and can't fix it until morning, but it definitely happens way more than just today (when it is entirely justified--/. effect).

Originally Posted by storkus View Post
Funny (or not) thing is that TMO goes down for me all the time. Even before today I'll be reading and it will go down for hours. Now I don't know where the servers are and I'm in Phoenix usually accessing it from work during swing shift, so maybe Reggie is just asleep when it happens and can't fix it until morning, but it definitely happens way more than just today (when it is entirely justified--/. effect).
Actually, I've noticed that too. Usually seems to happen around 5-6am Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Daily backup happens at 1AM (EDT) for about an hour or so, so during that time, you might not be able to access the server.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What do you mean by "you people?"

All kidding aside, I entirely agree. I still stand by my earlier suggestion to just do the smartest thing and use a bittorent method of upgrades and/or apt. It would absolutely cut down on all the unnecessary waste of bandwidth and server resources for Maemo/Nokia/whatever.
By you people I mean all gnomes and goblins behind maemo.org servers. I do not know what kind of reporting policy or workflow these people have for reporting problems but I have to say that the time what I have been here it sometimes feel totally fragmented. Sometimes someone will update something to some page somewhere (here in maemo.org) or actually in internet.

Maybe I should start lurking maemo irc channel but IMO thatīs just not so obvious way of reaching all people in todays web 2.0.

And about technology behind updates and server. I have seen some forums that change to text only mode when load getīs too high. That probably is not rocket science either.

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-25 at 20:35.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Daily backup happens at 1AM (EDT) for about an hour or so, so during that time, you might not be able to access the server.
Old-school backup system where you have to take down the service for a while? I thought everyone did backups on the fly these days (i.e. RAID, Tivoli, etc.). More curious than anything, old-school backup system is a pain but I'm sure it's cheaper, too.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not fully sure what you imagine this alternative implementation of delivering updates would achieve.
You should be aware that the update repos are delivered via Akamai and have essentially unlimited resources in terms of Nokia's needs to push maemo updates, TMO however is hosted by a single server, entirely separate from Akamai. The reason TMO goes down is not because "zomg so many people are downloading teh updatez" as they come from a totally different source, it goes down simply because on update days there are THOUSANDS of concurrent visitors looking at the forum.
Changing the method of delivering updates doesnt in any way whatsoever affect the ability of the forum to cope with the number of people looking at the forum on the day a patch happens.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post: