Notices

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
I just mailed them back asking that same question, because I'm afraid that purchasing every individual map will be much more expensive than those €79,95 that every other platform has to pay for the full map
I understand that it's not cheaper for people that travel a lot in europe.

In my case i don't mind. In 99% of the i will be driving though benelux. And when i go to another country i can decide to buy the map of the destination country and not the onces that i'm traveling through because you need navigation more in the cities than on the highways.

So if they make the country downloads cheaper than whole europe, i'm happy.

Bad news, it looks like there won't be any map packages or discounts anytime soon. Now the good news, if we buy individual maps, they will "link" together and we will be able to calculate routes and do seamless navigation. Here's what they told me.

If you will buy packages that covers whole route from Spain to Germany, you will be able to navigate without any limitation.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to tell you if any Western Europe map pack will be available as it was not yet decided. Currently and in near future, we will sell only those European packages already available.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordJuanlo For This Useful Post:
Bad news, it looks like there won't be any map packages or discounts anytime soon.
So how much does each individual package cost? I could not find prices, it just says coming soon...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
@cardiff-blues: Can you tell me the file structure / file extension of your maps folder for Sygic please? If it is different to other versions Sygic uses a different map format for Maemo which would be bad
I got an email from Sygic regarding the maps:

So I want to be sure.
Sorry for the delay. Just looking now and I can't see the file structure from Mass Storage or File Manager. Where is it likely to be?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

I got a very fast answer from Sygic regarding my concerns about this situation, that's what they just told me:

I fully agree with you, but I’m not able to change the countries included in packages or so. I will forward your email to responsible person and hopefully they will take some steps.

I do not think that price for whole Europe will be hundreds of Euro, but in fact, I still don’t know exact price for packages too.
In short: on Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile and Android you can get a full European map for €79,95, but on Maemo we will have to buy individual maps that, I'm sure, they will be much more expensive together than a full European map.

If anyone is as interested and worried as I am, please let Sygic know and contact their support (support at sygic.com, replace at with @), they need to know that lots of people find this situation unfair.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LordJuanlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
thanks for writing them, but it's still not quite clear to me if the "split" is only of a technical nature (as in, you pay for Europe and download the maps indivdually), or if it's a business thing, meaning you have to buy the maps individually?
I asked about Australian maps, but they sent me a canned response saying the program will be released very soon. I asked about Australian maps again in a reply and am still waiting back.

Hopefully Australian maps are available as they are with the iphone and all the rest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipTorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
What I can confirm is that in the test version I have the ability to install maps for: Benelux, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Eastern Europe, France, Iberia, Italy Nordics.

Although not sure if these will be available in release version.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
What I can confirm is that in the test version I have the ability to install maps for: Benelux, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Eastern Europe, France, Iberia, Italy Nordics.

Although not sure if these will be available in release version.
I'm sure all of them will be available, but I'm afraid that the price of all together will be more than the €79,95 that other platforms pay. That's why we need to contact Sygic and express our concerns. They have not announced pricing yet, so you never know, we could get something

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
I'm sure all of them will be available, but I'm afraid that the price of all together will be more than the €79,95 that other platforms pay. That's why we need to contact Sygic and express our concerns. They have not announced pricing yet, so you never know, we could get something
As long as we (you) don't now the price, there's no need to panic. If all the maps together are 79,95 then its better for all of us. More choice for the same price. So lets wait and see.

I hope you are right, but I can't see them selling each country for just €10 or €15

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn