Active Topics

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Jolla.com said 64Gb before preolder?
If I remember right.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Ok, so that means SDXC, i suppose :
I like that but:

Compatibility with SDHC

SDXC host devices accept all previous families of SD memory cards.[27] Conversely, SDHC host devices accept SDXC cards that follow Version 3.0, since the interface is identical,[3] but the following issues may affect usability:
*SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, if the product using the card accepts file systems other than exFAT on SDXC cards, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle volumes larger than 32 GB.
*SDHC host devices do not test the new capability bits defined for SDXC 4.0 cards and thus cannot use the new features of SDXC, such as transfer speeds above UHS104 (104 MB/s).
Just something to think about...
Barnabas Collins

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Trouble is that OLD equates to cheap(er), and it is clear that the Jolla phone is, unsurprisingly, designed to a price point.
So, time will tell.

Last edited by fullauto; 2013-09-26 at 01:35.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
sorry sir, that chip not capable of LTE, hence not the chip that Jolla gonna use

the VERY possible chip only these two :

MSM8960

MSM8930 (If Jolla will factory OC it)
You forget that it states LTE*

*) Supported countries and operators will be published closer, for me that sound it depends on country and if they get enought operators willing to sell the phone. If the few are intrested LTE may get dished...

An alternative is also they may very well upgrade modem but keep the CPU/GPU. if its lowers the price.

So I still beleive its more like those SoC than never once.

But keep you going dream on latter chipsets and be dissapointed later if you want to not my problem...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-23 at 19:01.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
BUT, that MSM8260 SoC has only 3 clock speed level: 1.2GHz / 1.5GHz / 1.7GHz, there's no 1.4GHz.

I will keep dreaming for MSM8930 or a better one (MSM8930AB).
Phonearena states that it has 4G even if wiki says its not has. So Qualcom MAY customize those chips. Don't always trusts wikis(or even phonearena for that matter)

Reminds me that stkeeps said something in a twitter post about why qVGA when people cried about it. I got the feeling they choosed qVGA cause of the GFX was that resolution (yet another reason I beleive in "older" SoC).

If I understand is correct what he meant was if they choosed bigger screen it also mean they had to choose better SoC.

That means higher price for the enduser. My own guess around 100-200EUR more so think of that instead of be so blinded by specs.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-23 at 19:18.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
You forget that it states LTE*

*) Supported countries and operators will be published closer, for me that sound it depends on country and if they get enought operators willing to sell the phone. If the few are intrested LTE may get dished...
Sounds more like they haven't decided which LTE bands they are going to use.

Mobile hardware platforms these days come with small variants that differ only what radio frequencies they support. Mostly I think its that they haven't decided which LTE bands they will support beyond the ones used in EU and China.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Another thing people should stop be so damn blinded my specs. As stated many times before its all about marketing hypeing.
Specs has become what people use to gauge if they should pay more attention and research more into technology. It's largely useless information to them, but it's a start.

It's much akin to kicking the tires on a car. Sure, you kicked them, now what did that mean? There's air in the tire?

People need to look at deeper things. Optimization, utilization, memory buses - well, the **** you guys are talking about above. But again, that's not what the average consumer will ever take the time to research, learn and master.

That's why marketing hype works well on so many people. It simplifies complex things.

"Oh, the OMAP4 bus architecture... blah blah blah..." makes sense to people here. But to the layman? "It goes faster than the last one..." is all they need to hear.

Jolla needs to speak in terms folks will understand. "It's fast. It's optimized. It's new. It's desirable."

But better stated of course...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
We must see what the final price will be. If it goes over 400 euro including shipment to Spain plus taxes, I am not in. The overall specs are not enough for that price tag. Major flaws for me: ram, display, battery size. I don't care at all about android compatibility, I don't need that. For that purpose there is 4core 2gb ram monster waiting to unleash the power.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Jolla needs to speak in terms folks will understand. "It's fast. It's optimized. It's new. It's desirable."
Yeah eventually. But meanwhile it belittles the nerds who've preordered the damn thing. I can understand there still are some parts of the design to be finalized and negotiated and therefore cannot be disclosed, but even THAT they don't tell.

Besides, even when Jolla needs to address the folks, I see no harm in serving the needs of the nerds at the same time. Otherwise I could go buy an iPhone with its ""multitasking"" for the braindead and walled garden.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Yeah eventually. But meanwhile it belittles the nerds who've preordered the damn thing.
Marketing isn't for the nerds that preordered. They already know what they will get for the most part.

Marketing directed to nerds & geeks of this calibre of tech savvy is just a wasted effort. We'll nitpick the data, ignore the fancy words, critique the message and/or visuals and bemoan the fact that there's no hardware keyboard option or the shell isn't a bash shell, etc.

Again... marketing is necessary and should be simplified for folks on the fence. A preorder ain't on the fence.

I can understand there still are some parts of the design to be finalized and negotiated and therefore cannot be disclosed, but even THAT they don't tell.
Bringing anything to market is hard work. And to state any weaknesses before launch will doom your product. And to state that something is coming in the next version - Osborne Effect.

Besides, even when Jolla needs to address the folks, I see no harm in serving the needs of the nerds at the same time. Otherwise I could go buy an iPhone with its ""multitasking"" for the braindead and walled garden.
I see a bit problem in that, honestly. Not that I don't want to be addressed, but it's a tactic that has historically shown that it doesn't work. What I think nerds want is transparency. We want to see each and every line of code, each and every piece of hardware and we'll speculate, pontificate and extrapolate whatever we deem necessary to share, discuss and argue with others. I think Jolla is actually doing that... to a degree.

We actually agree more than we disagree. Jolla addressing us with marketing drivel will be a waste. Jolla addressing us outside of a community will dilute their message. I just think a tad bit differently because absolutely nothing us geeks have supported hardware-wise has ever really been a commercial success. Nokia N900? Nokia N9? Nokia N800? Nokia 770? None of those were "9 million sold over a weekend" type of successes. Jolla won't have those numbers, but to do better than say the BlackBerry Z10 (I own one) or a Lumia phone (say the 620) should be their goal. Those are within reach imho.

Oh and to constantly refer back to Apple in any of their offerings will only lead to an increase of Apple's mindshare, not Jolla's. My opinion, btw.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: