Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
After a good night sleep I woke up in the morning. The N900 seemed as if it was being charged, which was weird because it was plugged in the whole night.

After taking a closer look turned out that the device had gone cold. I could not turn it on, even the battery-removal did not help.

I think I will have to flash it again. It is a shame, though. I will lose all the messages and memos stored there...

Anyone has had a similiar breakdown before?

The Following User Says Thank You to AtteK0 For This Useful Post:
If it turns on far enough to reflash, it should be capable of at least minimal charging. Try moving the charger to a different outlet and see if it gets to the point of at least flashing an orange LED.

And if you do reflash (though I doubt you need to) so long as you don't flash the eMMC you won't lose anything. And you are making periodic backups, aren't you?

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by AtteK0 View Post

After taking a closer look turned out that the device had gone cold
lol sorry couldn't help it

I remember while ago there was a similar thread, apparently something is wrong with N900 charging mechanism if you keep it plugged in too long. Try wmarone suggestion to see if device functioning...btw di you do anything like overclocking? kernel installation etc?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Hmm, not wanting to doubt you HellFlyer however I usually leave my N900 connected to the charger for a whole day when I'm at home and have little use for it or even the weekend and never had any of those issues with it.

I believe the problem was fixed for now. The problems with the charger (sometimes not sufficient power etc) drained the battery overnight. I let it charge a little and now N900 has made its comeback...

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by God_Lx View Post
Hmm, not wanting to doubt you HellFlyer however I usually leave my N900 connected to the charger for a whole day when I'm at home and have little use for it or even the weekend and never had any of those issues with it.
Well afaik its not good for your battery... it needs to be charged and discharged so that its capacity lose over time remains minimal..I only charge when it shows last green bar and sometimes when its red

btw N900 is the first phone from Nokia that suggests to unplug the charger and save electricity

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Nah it's not the first, atleast he Nokia 5530 does the same... So probably all Symbian S60v5...

And the Li-Ion batteries don't have that issue or "memory effect" you mention, in fact you shouldn't even let it discharge all the way down.

I know Wikipedia isn't always 100%, but still check it out or do a bit of research on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Glad the N900 is "fixed" AtteK0 !

Originally Posted by God_Lx View Post
And the Li-Ion batteries don't have that issue or "memory effect" you mention, in fact you shouldn't even let it discharge all the way down.
Funny how people go on and on about a phone firmware upgrade and yet don't keep themselves up-to-date.

Time and time again I hear NiMH rules applied to Li-Ion.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Sure, NiMH is better than Li-based batteries in some cases (in cold enviroments, for example). Memory effects do not apply for Li-Ion.

However NiMH is being dumped because Ni is an arsenic metal.

Last edited by AtteK0; 2010-06-01 at 05:06.

Originally Posted by AtteK0 View Post
However NiMH is being dumped because Ni is an arsenic metal.
Explain what you mean by "arsenic metal" and how nickel fits into this category?