Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Philippines
Hello,

I'm looking for the equivalent functionality to the s60 C++ telephony functionality for Maemo (N900). Areas of interest:

* Local Voicemail
* Local conferencing (SIP and GSM streams)
* Inserting speech recognition resource on conversation path
* Accessing microphone and speakers
* Intercepting SMS messages
* Voice stress analysis
* Inserting background music on call (blending media streams, including GSM channel)
* Playing "reminders" during call
* Local IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
* Local/On-phone CTI screen pops

Kind Regards,

Vince

Any pointers to appropriate APIs would be appreciated...

More questions... Are the GSM modem commands (AT) passed through DBUS? Can anyone point to the appropriate header files dealing with the GSM modem command set on the N900?

Thanks,

Vince

I think I found at least part of the information I'm looking for...

http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-fi...nel-media.html

- Vince

Hi,

Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
more relevant links:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/wik...id=1106&type=g
Telepathy should be the way, how the phone functionality should be implemented in Maemo 5. I have mentioned in an earlier post, where to find information about it. Unfortunately this is not really easy to implement. We saw that and we are working on more documentation about it. Reverse-engineering the DBus API is not the way it should be done, even though at the beginning it looks like the easiest way to go, but because of several reasons, this is not the way you want to take:

1.) The DBus-API is not stable and might change. This would mean, that your application would not work any more. Telepathy is a high-level framework on top of the DBus API. Go that way and your app won't be affected by changes in a not published API.

2) Using the DBus-API directly might end-up in using it wrong and in security issues, you don't want to see in your app.

At the moment the situation regarding the documentation is not perfect, but we are working on that. Check the news section and stay tuned for more information, examples and documentation. But don't start to use the DBus directly for this purpose, even though at the moment it seems to be the easiest way, but it is no long term solution. Please have some more patience and you will see how it can be done with the telepathy framework.

Cheers Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Hello Daniel, Thank-you for the feedback. As you work on the exposing the API, please realize that we need full media and call control. In addition we will want to be able to substitute existing call control. Look at the old TAPI and .WAV support from the PC world, which was sufficient for us to build large scale PBX applications.

Use Cases:

We may want to make a custom dialer, add least cost routing functionality.

* Local Voice Mail
* Local IVR (Interactive Voice Response)

We want access to the media streams during conversations.

* To add background music
* To implement speech recognition
* To implement local conferencing applications

Please realize that many of us want to modify the general purpose smart phone into a specific vertical market solution.

* Modify cell phone into a custom digital display phone. (dss/blf keys, etc...)

Last 2 unrelated wishes:

* Please implement USB Host

* Make it easy to "Unbrick" the phone. IE: Rich documentation, tools for back-up of system and data, restoring/replacing OS, restoring ROMS.

* Please fully document the GSM modem "AT" Command set . Think of the device as a PC with an integrated modem.

The more I think about it, the better it would be to fully document DBUS first before attempting a high level api...

Kind Regards,

Vince

Co-Founder - Picazo Communications (Sold to Intel)

Just starting to read through the links you gave, thank-you. I tried to download the presentation.

http://www.http.com//people.collabor...ummit-2009.pdf

but it isn't there anymore, do you happen to have an updated link?

Thanks for your help.

- Vince

Daniel,

Just to be clear. Are you saying that the GSM modem call control and media stream are/will be accessable through the telepathy framework? Can you elaborate technically on how this was done?

Is the existing N900 call control application implemented using telepathy?

Thanks,

VInce

Daniel,

I found this link that works:

http://people.collabora.co.uk/~bari/...ummit-2009.pdf

If I understand, Phone and Skype support are built using Telepathy but that part was not open sourced by Nokia. This is such typical telecom oriented BS. Same story, another vendor, over and over. Sorry if I vent, but nothing ever seems to really change. I hope I'm wrong...

- Vince