Active Topics

Notices

I've had an issue pop up with beta 8 that I had seen before, but it went away.

When I am at the "now playing" screen, and attempt to lock my screen Canola registers the click on the N800 and pauses the podcast. Previously when I noticed this I was hitting the button to lock the screen prior to the popup menu showing. When I would wait for the menu to popup I had no issues. Now it doesn't matter if the menu has popped up or not. I have started pausing my podcast, then locking the screen, so that the podcast starts playing again when the screen locks.

-hal

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Hi, handful! Two problems.

1. I've mentioned this one before, and it remains the same: if I have played a movie for a while, pausing it does not fully pause it, it just keeps stuttering forward. I didn't install Beta7 but I've had the problem in Beta6 (and earlier) and it's still there in Beta8.

2. My "Local Videos" folder for the YouTube plugin still has my previously downloaded videos listed, but it does not play them unless I'm connected to the internet. That is, it won't play from my downloaded files; instead it treats them like bookmarks.

I had my videos, under Beta6, downloaded to /media/mmc1/youtube. I thought maybe that was the problem after the update, so I went into Xterm and entered
cd /home/user/.canola/youtube
mv videos/* /media/mmc1/youtube
ln -s /media/mmc1/youtube videos
both as "user" ($ prompt) and, since that didn't seem to work, as root (# prompt).

But the problem persists. Canola doesn't play my video files when I select them from "Local Videos".

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
@dan
Handful,
Very nice update. The podcast and youtube are great additions. The lips sync here is better than in MyTube. Although I can't get player to recognize the MyTube videos.
- please try setting mytube to save to the same diretory. it watched by canola, then refresh media.

I do like that now I can scroll without it being so sensitive that it jumps to a video. I also for the first got the finger keyboard to come up. It only took eight months and your update! Hehehehe!!! Dan
- Funny, we did change things in beta 7, but now in beta8 to 9 we have a really improved experimental list (not included) that we will be "testing" with volunteers. I think this will reach the quality we aimed.

I would like to see audiobooks. I just listened for the first time to Dracula. Very entertaining.
- Yeah, I think that his is a great idea for a plugin

What I'm seeing is that Canola is evolving into a complete media center. Why not add features to enable playback of recorded or live TV, Satellite, Cable etc... ?
- We actually tried, we had a team working with MythtV, etc but it not that easy. It doesn depend only on us, it depends on people having the right hardware, that hardware having a software that public allows (api) to be manipulated /streamed. Really not that easy. But I think any vendor interested would be able to create a plugin for their product.

Keep up the great work! Dan
Thanks in behalf of the team!
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

... When I am at the "now playing" screen, and attempt to lo...

-hal

Hi Hal, thanks for the report, I think may be some mess with the events then... I will pass it forward.

Hi, handful! Two problems.

1. I've mentioned this one before, and it remains the same: if I have played a movie for a while, pausing it does not fully pause it, it just keeps stuttering forward. I didn't install Beta7 but I've had the problem in Beta6 (and earlier) and it's still there in Beta8.

We still not able to reproduce it, are you using mplayer or default media player to play the video?

2. My "Local Videos" folder for the YouTube plugin still has my previously downloaded videos listed, but it does not play them unless I'm connected to the internet. That is, it won't play from my downloaded files; instead it treats them like bookmarks.
- That a bug then, we will fix it.

I had my videos, under Beta6, downloaded to /media/mmc1/youtube. I thought maybe that was the problem after the update, so I went into Xterm and entered
both as "user" ($ prompt) and, since that didn't seem to work, as root (# prompt).

But the problem persists. Canola doesn't play my video files when I select them from "Local Videos".
- Beta8 only uses the now configurable download folders, Its quite odd your bug, but we will investigate.

cheers

vvaz : you can send to handful AT gmail.

Mike : All videos still stretched to fullscreen. again, we don't play sound or video. We open a canvas and glue a mplayer / default player window.

What happens is : Mplayer direct player doesn't have the strectch problem because it's only for the embedded problem. The sync problem must be also the same.

Since we started youtube we knew that mplayer was able to play some videos and not able to play others.

I will again, flash a device, and do everything from scratch, to see default results expected once ore time : /

Marcelo

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by handful View Post

- Beta8 only uses the now configurable download folders, Its quite odd your bug, but we will investigate.

This was a bug only with regard to updating, and I may have given you the impression that it was a bigger problem than that. Canola couldn't find what I had saved prior to updating, but it works fine with what I've downloaded since. It's not a bug that could recur with future updates (unless you change again where the files are stored). So I don't think it's worth investigating. But thanks!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Mike : All videos still stretched to fullscreen. again, we don't play sound or video. We open a canvas and glue a mplayer / default player window.

What happens is : Mplayer direct player doesn't have the stretch problem because it's only for the embedded problem. The sync problem must be also the same.
Testing the same youtube video on N800 with beta 7 with mplayer v24 and sound/video are in perfect sync within Canola2 Beta7 whilst video is stretched.

So for me there is a problem with Canola beta8 combined with mplayer 26, where if I play the same video in mplayer 26 only, sync on N810 appears to be fine.
(Canola beta 8 = video/audio out of sync)

So for myself with latest Canola2 beta8 on my N810 YouTube playback is currently worse with a lot more YouTube videos than appears to be case with Canola 2 Beta7 on my N800.

Should I now try a Canola2 clean-up and fresh install of Canola2 Beta8 on N810, or would you first like additional test information etc.

Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Testing the same youtube video on N800 with beta 7 with mplayer v24 and sound/video are in perfect sync within Canola2 Beta7 whilst video is stretched.

So for me there is a problem with Canola beta8 combined with mplayer 26, where if I play the same video in mplayer 26 only, sync on N810 appears to be fine.
(Canola beta 8 = video/audio out of sync)

So for myself with latest Canola2 beta8 on my N810 YouTube playback is currently worse with a lot more YouTube videos than appears to be case with Canola 2 Beta7 on my N800.

Should I now try a Canola2 clean-up and fresh install of Canola2 Beta8 on N810, or would you first like additional test information etc.
The problem is then with .26 embedded mode. Because as reported before we don't do anything but provide a canvas for mplayer to draw upon.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
The problem is then with .26 embedded mode. Because as reported before we don't do anything but provide a canvas for mplayer to draw upon.
OK, I posted BUG report for mplayer .26 https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...id=54&atid=269

Am I only Canola2 user noticing this issue?

Last edited by MikeL; 2008-04-07 at 11:49.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Hello handful.

Just wanted to confirm. Are we supposed to get stream info when we tune into an internet radio stream? Well it doesn't show any stream info when i play an internet radio station. So is this going to happen in the future?