Notices

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
PSP version of Frodo has keyboard like this. Anyway BT keyboard support would also be nice.. And still dreaming of BT joystic / PS3 controller support. N800 control pad is not good for gaming

http://perso.numericable.fr/ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html
Thank you for the link. This keyboard looks nicer than the solution I work on at the moment. Maybe I can use some parts of it (the graphics ), if the license allows it and if is useable on higher screen resoultions (At the moment I draw the keyboard and don't use a bitmap which scales better on different screen resolutions but didn't look very nice).

Btw. Pocket Hobbit (Frodo for Pocket PC) have design study for a similar keyboard as PSP Vice. Homepage at http://www.nibbleandbit.net/PocketHobbit/ but seems unreachable at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to blachner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by blachner View Post
Thank you for the link. This keyboard looks nicer than the solution I work on at the moment. Maybe I can use some parts of it (the graphics ), if the license allows it and if is useable on higher screen resoultions (At the moment I draw the keyboard and don't use a bitmap which scales better on different screen resolutions but didn't look very nice).
Nice hear that it did help

I can hardly wait that C64 comes to N800

Originally Posted by mlvj View Post
Hiya, I now have a PS3 (yay!)

Has anybody written a PS3 driver for n800/770? Has anybody got the two to pair at all? I would hope there's no encryption or anything.

Anyhow, if nobody has done anything in this area I'll have a stab
Can you give it a stab? This may be provide some tips:
http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
Can you give it a stab? This may be provide some tips:
http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html
Did you give it a stab?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I installed it and tried it out with my brand spankin new Stowaway BT keyboard. Works awesome, though a littler cumbersome editing the config file to point to a different disk image each time I want to play a different game.

I was also at work so I couldn't take the time to map the joystick to the keyboard... so all I could do in Kickstart II was jump (and consequently fall off of a lot of fences and logs.)

Cheers for bringin the oldschool back.

Hello...Is this project still being developed?

I was porting it from the latest Frodo version, and then discovered this thread.
The new version does include SDL menus for managing the the disk drives, and includes compilation directives for maemo.

I've been thinking in an SDL on-screen keyboard for it, but my approach now is just assign a key to type in the command to load & run the disk in drive #8, as many games just need this.(yes, i know, f keys are widely used too...)

OTOH, the emulator runs at a fairly quick speed by just refreshing the small emulator window.When i've increased the window size (and fixed buffer-misalignments), the emulation began to slow down by a 50%.Anyway, i'm pretty new to SDL, so maybe there's a smarter way to refresh the screen.

I've also had bad results with full-screen & pixel-doubling.

Is this port still in the works?If so, can i help you in any way so we get this done?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dashiad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by blachner View Post
My solution I work on, is not an universal SDL keybord it is an on screen keybord with a C64 keybord layout.

But you are right, a generic SDL on screen keyboard would be nice. At best with changeable keybord layouts. But this would be more work to do. So I personally will concentrate on a C64 on screen keyboard.
The xkbd sources could be used for the generic sdl keyboard. This would allow
  • editable keyboard layouts
  • save coding time
  • imported xkbd layouts created by smothermunchie, myself and others

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would really appreciate a good C64 emulator with a GUI disk image chooser, running fullscreen and using the D-Pad as a joystick.

This would be far more interesting to me than all the other emulators, like DosBox or Basilisk. As I have said to many people, I've had more fun on my N800 than any computer I've owned since my C64. I would love to have the C64 back on the N800. The tiny screen and other problems (edit a text file to change disk image??!) make it not-very-usable at the moment. Getting a nice big screen is more important to me than an on-screen keyboard.

PS: No luck with FC64 (the flash-based emulator). Oh well.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-28 at 20:44.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Xsp extension exists and works for 770, N800 and N810.

By using Xsp and an 8-bit SDL surface, you can get 60fps screen updates. Software scaling through sdl will be lower than that, as will higher bpp SDL surfaces.

There exist other options for faster screen updates, but these are also 'device specific'. While I understand that blachner is working on the main cvs tree and does not want to pollute it with device-specific hacks, I do not see this as a valid reason to reject Xsp for tablet builds of Frodo. Indeed I do not see an alternative.

Thanks for working on this
Cheers,

First of all, Thanks!!! This is something I dreamed of having, so many years ago....

I had a hell of a time getting this to work in this beta state. I had much experience with C64 dos but not a lot with Linux, so I am unafraid to try but it took me awhile.

You have to get X Terminal for Nokia 770:
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationCatalog/#870a05b0dd86f9380dc30048342d156c

Install that and download Frodo to your memory card and you're ready to try it.
http://pupnik.de/Frodo_Nokia_0_01.tgz

Fire up X Term and command this:
tar -zxvf /media/mmc1/Frodo*

This will uncompress the first file starting with "Frodo" on your memory card. You could type the whole filename on your Nokia 770 virtual keyboard but this works just as good.

Next, bring up file manager and rename the folder it just created to something easy, like "F".

Go back to X Term and command:
cp -r /media/mmc1/F .

That copies the entire "F" folder to your current directory, which is /home/user.

Next, rename it:
mv F .frodorc

You'll see it is gone if you command "ls". Try "ls -a" instead, and scroll up to see all the listings.

Change into the new folder:
cd .frodorc

Lastly, start the emulator:
./Frodo

As I say, it took me awhile (like, 7 months) to get it started. PLEASE continue with Frodo. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard so that is as far as I got, but it is SO close, it would be a real shame to stop now.

I hope this inspires a couple more 'old neophytes' to give it a shot & post a word of encouragement.

Best of luck!