Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Stskeeps is "bending" facts.
Most of this 43% non-open is just dropped and not used in MeeGo at all (like callendar and settings etc.). So it's easy to go to that 1% by just dropping non-free components.

We'll see the real number, once Nokia releases Harmattan - where these non-free components will be replaced by other non-free components.
I wouldn't be surprised if Harmattan reaches even higher %.
Harmattan is fairly unrelated to MeeGo in that regard. MeeGo is not (just) Harmattan without the closed parts. For example, there is nothing saying that MeeGo does not include a Media Player (no idea if the Harmattan one will be Free, I'm just extrapolating from Fremantle). Just like the UX, MeeGo will offer a completely free solution, which then vendors can (and likely will) customize. Obviously it can't offer free replacements for Skype, Flash 10 or Maps (unless you count SIP and such), but system-wise, it should be fairly functionally complete.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
When will you be able to EASILY change the os of your phone like you can for you notebook?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
When the HW vendors stop being OS vendors, mobile hardware development pace is halved and the subsidizing carriers are gone. Any moment now.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Sorry to piss in your cornflakes, but the video driver you speak of is exact same situation as on N8x0 and N900 - kernel driver is open source (two parts: PowerVR and display driver) and closed source libraries where all the real fun happen.

It's Imagination technologies / SGX all over again.
Not my cornflakes, thankfully. But still, bah! That sucks, then. I'm still keeping an eye on it to see what happens and I'll still poke a my finger in their eye about it, as you know I tend to do. :P

Tags
2nokia, android, face palm, opensource