Active Topics

I am sure I am gonna get pounded for not knowing the technical intracies of multitasking in Android, but take a look at this...

http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

In the gingerbread demo the guy has 3 apps on screen and is reading email/pictures while a youtube is going on in the bkground...

target is tablets, but wonder if it will work on something big like the galaxy note...

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Google Wind River.

There was another one too, back when MeeGo was relevant...can't remember what the company was called.

Remembered it was by Ixonos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E1ckOoeRJg

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Something like this would be a dream come. In comparison, I believe you can now multitask with unbuntu or your favorite linux image on many androids via VNC. Here the problem is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, using VNC does not work with sound. So much for listening to YouTube while doing some other task. Anyways this appears to not be a problem with Conerstone. I hope they succeed...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
If you want a taste of multitasking now, just try stickit. This is a video player which stays in a window, overlaid on other apps.

Can show also multiple videos together

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
problem with android multitasking is that it kills tasks at will, many times even when there is abundancy of free memory

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Good news! It looks like Onskreen is making Cornerstone open source.
If you currently have a Xoom they have an official ROM for you to try. I'd like to hear about folks experience. For other devices they provide the source but you have to incorporate it into a ROM. I'd love to see how this works on a Galaxy Note, Nook Tablet, WHATEVER!

Check the link in post #1
http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

Last edited by mscion; 2012-02-08 at 16:24.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
VNC (even local session) on Android chroot is a pain in the *** compared to Easy Debian an Xephyr.

It's slow, there's no OpenGL acceleration, it's really slow and laggy.

It's basically your last resort for running apps that aren't ported to Bionic libc (or apps that aren't compiled statically with libs, but that's another ***-backwards thing)

Face it, android cannot multitask. It is an OS for idiots who are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Face it, android cannot multitask. It is an OS for idiots who are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/o...valds-lca2011/

Money quote:

“I am very happy about Android obviously. I use Android, and it’s actually made cellphones very usable.” - Linus Torvalds

So the father of Linux is an idiot who is incapable of doing more than one thing at a time. Got it.

Goes to show this place is just a mirror of an iPhone forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post: