Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far.
I wouldn't go that far, but I've been thinking about the same thing for a while. Choosing the N900 because of hate won't result in anything productive. We have to be actually interested in making something better, not just sticking it to the man.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Gerbick, you're too smart to trivialize the issue like you just did. "Hatred"??? Come on-- that's sophomoric.
No, I think he has a point. How many of us have bought the N900 as a kneejerk reaction against Apple rather than having a plan? People like you have been here for a long time, but I was happy using Symbian until idealism brought me here. That's nice and everything, but I haven't actually contributed anything.

Last edited by jnwi; 2010-04-22 at 16:45.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
No, I think he has a point. How many of us have bought the N900 as a kneejerk reaction against Apple rather than having a plan? People like you have been here for a long time, but I was happy using Symbian until idealism brought me here. That's nice and everything, but I haven't actually contributed anything.
A point that's actually marginal and not a reflection of the big picture I'm addressing-- and gerbick did respond to me.

In other words I saw the straw gathering...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gerbick, you're too smart to trivialize the issue like you just did. "Hatred"??? Come on-- that's sophomoric. C-.

I'll gladly debate this subject on objective merits but not THAT.
Please don't drag this into overblown pedantic or semantic trivia based on the weight of words without taking into context the conversational intonation of my chosen verbiage. Simply put, I'm using connotation, not denotation of any variation of the word "hatred".

If it suits you, use the word "dislike" if that will get a better response.

If I were using the word "iPhone", then hatred (denotation) would be pretty damn accurate given the knee-jerk reactions around here sometimes.

Now, with that said, don't dismiss what I'm saying. Simply put, all of this freedom has netted not much. Like my father once said... "people take freedom as to meaning they can do a whole lot of nothing..."

And that's what I see. A fractured bunch, waiting on updates and apps with no real corporate apps in sight, on a platform that can compile a few languages that support the admin types on their phone that if they're not careful might lead to a re-flash but no real attempts at an expansion of the phone as a platform - outside of the wifi hotspot app, I admit that is pretty darn fly.

The freedom to do everything has so far produced nothing.

And yes... I'm totally playing devil's advocate

This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far. An odd upgrade path that's not fully laid out by corporate (yet), a total lack of apps that improve upon functionality, developers waiting to hear if their apps will be ok in the next iteration fully, already installed apps not updated, et al..
The "walled garden", through it's closedness perhaps inadvertently, provides direction, cohesion, and leadership. There's a path to follow. It makes it simpler for the vendor to provide things, like a commercial app store, because it knows the type of apps that will be supplied through it. Documentation and apis can be developed knowing there are only a subset of languages that will be used, books start appearing on Amazon as the target audience is much more defined. End users aren't bothered how the app was written or if it was deved on locked down iphone sdk on a required Mac or open source Eclipse, only what that app does for them. This open sourced experiment of the n900 seems to offer plenty of potential but along with that are more complexities, fragmentation, and very little leadership from Nokia. And that's reflected in application development and customer base.

This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far.
That's Nokia dropping the ball, it says nothing about openness.

If that's freedom, it stinks. Being able to pop open terminal, gain root on a tacked on phone experience on a tablet isn't freedom.
Control on that level is freedom. Having to fight the vendor for control is the antithesis of freedom.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Apple ecosystem, IMO, except for how Apple denies users the ability to side load software. I would have far less of an issue with it if you could do so without having to fight Apple to do it.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
The "walled garden", through it's closedness perhaps inadvertently, provides direction, cohesion, and leadership.
Don't take it personal by me snipping the rest of your reply; however that's what I'm ultimately building up to.

Nokia can, should, has had a multitude of chances to lead, direct and give this platform the cohesion from the announcement of Maemo5 to now MeeGo. And they've yet to do it.

And to be honest, I'm not so sure that Intel's influence will be enough to do it with MeeGo. We shall see, but my expectations are so low mainly because of prior experiences with the 770 and N810.

Nokia isn't seizing the opportunity to direct, even on this "wide open" platform when they should.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Please don't drag this into overblown pedantic or semantic trivia based on the weight of words without taking into context the conversational intonation of my chosen verbiage. Simply put, I'm using connotation, not denotation of any variation of the word "hatred".
I dragged nothing anywhere gerbick. You're on another of your rants where you hyperfocus on irrelevant aspects of the issue.

Forget fringe elements and reactionary motives. People driving open source solutions are not doing so out of negative motivations but rather positive ones. And it's more than semantics because your statements are right in line with the dangerous Microsoft and Apple FUD that has been working against the success of open source for years.

Blaming rabid adherents for the state of the solution is disingenuous. The problems with open source lie entirely within the political elements that seek to perpetuate a tired old status quo that needs to die so we can finally move on to what's next.

As the open-closed war continues to harden, things are going to get ugly for all of us. And if closed source wins (as it seems to be now with ridiculous software patents, bizarre IP protection schemes and the like), we're ALL screwed.

And as we contendly lap at the closed app store pools, we are applying the ointment to our own asses.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far. An odd upgrade path that's not fully laid out by corporate (yet), a total lack of apps that improve upon functionality, developers waiting to hear if their apps will be ok in the next iteration fully, already installed apps not updated, et al.

If that's freedom, it stinks. Being able to pop open terminal, gain root on a tacked on phone experience on a tablet isn't freedom. It's being part of an experiment.
Probably the most honest sum up of how this experiment is failing. In three years Nokia have moved at a snail's pace to accomplish an OS and device that others did in shorter time.

No real blame can be put on 'the community'. It is what it is, to a large extent a rather vile bunch of Apple haters that places more importance on repeating "I can gain root" and calling people "trolls" whenever an expression that differs is brought up.

The real blame falls on Nokia for half-assing the os being open sourced, for not following up on software updates on delivered applications, for mis-managing what could had been a good community of development (there are moderators where...?) and for having very poor forward planning and realizing the importance of getting things to market.

Then again, it's Nokia's money and they can do whatever they want with it. I still adore my N810 and I am extremely grateful to the people that still develop for it and I am thankful to Nokia for developing that hardware.

In the end, if you as a user or developer have enjoyed or even gotten value from this experiment then where's the harm? It's a tablet/phone/gadget. End of the day it doesn't matter. Once it's all said and done the only semi-permanent stain will be the one on Nokia. Not for 'being brave' to try out something new (which is great) but for showing a surprising amount of incompetency and ignorance in the space which will, personally, influence my purchase pattern for years to come.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
That's Nokia dropping the ball, it says nothing about openness.
In such a wide open platform, direction needs to be offered. In open source, too many ideas, design by committee, or even free thought still needs to be somewhat directed to make sure their solutions and software work on a platform (for instance). I still see both separately... and lacking.

Control on that level is freedom. Having to fight the vendor for control is the antithesis of freedom.
Not one argument there.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Apple ecosystem, IMO, except for how Apple denies users the ability to side load software. I would have far less of an issue with it if you could do so without having to fight Apple to do it.
And here is where I go on record stating that I quite dislike Apple's ecosystem. Not because I want root. Not because I want to run Flash. Not even because I'm not forced to develop using their mandated languages and not use wrappers around code languages I know better.

I dislike the fact that my money has a louder voice than my opinion inside of the Apple ecosystem. I'm not even an user. I'm a source of income only. I'm a dollar. I'm a number.

With Maemo, I could have a voice... even one that the community might get behind. But not there.

And yet... I'm starting to feel as ignored by Nokia as I do with Apple. "Thanks for your N900 purchase... we'll update you when we feel like it..." - Nokia

Gee. Thanks. Can I at least get a few games outside of Angry Birds for it? Can I sync with my Mac without having to hack it and lose that ability next PR update?

(for the record, I don't own a N900)

I dragged nothing anywhere gerbick. You're on another of your rants where you hyperfocus on irrelevant aspects of the issue.
Always so personal man. Is this how counter-thought is greeted?

Forget fringe elements and reactionary motives. People driving open source solutions are not doing so out of negative motivations but rather positive ones.
Please quote where I said something that supports this. I said the walled garden hate around here. Not open source. You misread me totally there.

And it's more than semantics because your statements are right in line with the dangerous Microsoft and Apple FUD that has been working against the success of open source for years.
Erm, not quite. N900 has afforded people freedom of choice and ability; however I don't quite see the benefits without Nokia's direction. Nokia is lacking in that department at the moment.

My stance has nothing to do with Apple nor Microsoft's stances either.

Blaming rabid adherents for the state of the solution is disingenuous. The problems with open source lie entirely within the political elements that seek to perpetuate a tired old status quo that needs to die so we can finally move on to what's next.
And you somehow quickly overlooked that I'm stating that the alternative(s) aren't compelling, somehow. Not yet. And it should be. But not yet... somehow. Makes zero sense to me. Freedom is a good thing. It's being wasted right now, imho.

As the open-closed war continues to harden, things are going to get ugly for all of us. And if closed source wins (as it seems to be now with ridiculous software patents, bizarre IP protection schemes and the like), we're ALL screwed.
Bah. I'll have absolutely nothing to do with open-closed wars. Zealots offend my senses.

And as we contendly lap at the closed app store pools, we are applying the ointment to our own asses.
As opposed to patiently waiting for Nokia to come down the hill with news of what's forthcoming? Grease up that *** nicely.

And stop taking my comments somewhere I'm nowhere near. I swear... sometimes you guys take statements to prior arguments with other folks that don't include me. I'm neither open source or closed source. I've stated it over and over in prior statements - I'm a consumer... what I use and like, I support. I also like to have certain things that support my stance as a consumer (mostly) and that's my platform.

None of this open-closed source nonsense. Save that noise for the right person. I ain't it. Read my words literally... I pick and choose them carefully.

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source