Notices

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by conro View Post
I am new to the n800 thing (got mine tuesday), and haven't gotten samba set up on my device yet so i can't try this... But has anyone been able to mount a samba share to a directory that Canola scans and have there media show up?

I would imagine that it should just work.....
I'm fairly new to the N800 (3 weeks) too. I was not successful at getting samba working at all with OS2008. Browsing a share either causes hangs, or when I tried to install a cifs kernel driver to OS2008 beta, I would never get the filesystem to even mount.

I agree that it should just work...that was my expectation. I am very disappointed in the product so far. Very few things 'just work' well.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
I'm not sure if you are kidding, didnt understand my question, or are just being rude/insulting, but I know what UPNP is. I've got 2 UPNP servers in my house. One with MP3's music and another with my podcasts. All of these show up under the built in Media Player. It appears that Canola2 has no way to specify a network share or a UPNP server as a source of files. I expected it to download the file listing from the UPNP server, cache it, and make it available in the player.
oh, i guess i misunderstood, but dont get me wrong i wasn't being rude lol, ok so i now understand that canola isn't finding your upnp servers in ur house.. that is kinda weird, it should work... i say keep trying it is only a beta did u report the bug yet?

Originally Posted by tps View Post
We can do it. Multiple sites fronteded by round robin dns, a master server that provides the rsync source for all the servers. eu and us mirror groups...

Tim

I don't know, Tim. That sounds suspiciously like doing the job the right way.

Originally Posted by xPAKxMaster View Post
oh, i guess i misunderstood, but dont get me wrong i wasn't being rude lol, ok so i now understand that canola isn't finding your upnp servers in ur house.. that is kinda weird, it should work... i say keep trying it is only a beta did u report the bug yet?

Ok, I wasn't sure but I tried to assume a miscommunication was most likely. I didnt report a bug because I have a feeling they didnt include this. There was a post a few weeks back about UPNP not working quite like they wanted...I wonder if that turned into leaving the feature out. Of course they should say that on their webpage.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
i dunno but we might hear something from handful sooner or later

still no clue how to install this.. can someone help me out?

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
still no clue how to install this.. can someone help me out?
On your Tablet, go to Settings - Application Manager. Now up at the tippy-top click where it says "Application Manager" and you should get a drop down list. Go to tools - Application Catalog. Create a new one, and fill in the information given a few pages back.

When you finish, click "Close" and it should ask if you want to refresh. Click yes, and then go into "Installable Applications" and wa-la!

but when I click Canola 2 icon to install. it still times out...

it gets to about ... 25%... then stops..

Originally Posted by GreySim View Post
Originally Posted by jhoff80
(Off topic: I still think it's ridiculous that there's so many DIFFERENT repositories. We need one repository with EVERY file in it, mirrored across multiple servers, does anyone know why this is the only Linux that doesn't do that?)
Why is there no one centralized repository? Because the closest thing to an official one that exists that I'm aware of is maemo.org's, and look how that turned out.
Quoted and added bold font for emphasis. There's absolutely no reason this shouldn't be possible when every other linux does it this way. If there's many mirrors of it, then there shouldn't be bandwidth issues, and you'd be able to get all packages from all mirrors.

Closed Thread