Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by miqu View Post
Yeah here in Finland I got my tablet 15:00 at work. DHL guy was nice enough to switch delivery address when he called me and I was able to get it today.

Though didn't do much with it yet as had practice after work and helped a friend move a bed after that.
That i dont get :-(
My tablet is still in customs here in Finland, although i guess it was on the same flight from Leipzig. Mind checking, miqu?Since there is probably no delivery on Sat i have to wait till Monday....Should have protested with customs that they speed up before weekend

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Decided to go for opt-out. Require a more advance tablet, ready for market.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
No, OH interface is
Are you referring to the same interface that could be used for an automatic SD card unmount but isn't?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wasted opportunity. Why not learn from the giants of the past? The N900 unmounted the SD card automatically if you removed the back cover. It had a magnetic sensor for that purpose.

Jolla also has a sensor detecting that the back cover (also known as The Other Half) has been removed. Why not using it?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. The Other Half is there for changing ringtones and desktop wallpapers, not for anything actually useful.

Gasp! Burn the heretic! He is suggesting that Jolla should do something that Android does! Oh no!!!
...mumble mumble unlike mumble mumble...
Nokia was actually designing hardware, Jolla was just picking features from a list of what the OEM would integrate in a reference design for them.
Putting a thin NFC patch in the back cover, adding i2C out connector, all feasible within this scope.
The ringtone and background related back cover feature is a choice: if you have to feature instantly swappable back covers with ring tones you can't connect "unmount SD" to that action.

Check the Jolla tablet SD sloth: doesn't look like something Nokia would have designed. (they would a least have put a rubber cover that would wear off after a year or two and which Nokia care would happily replace)

I'd advice Jolla tablet owners to cover the SD card slot by a strong patch of tape to prevent accidental removal of the and dust traveling into the device.

If not, every toddler that grabs the tablet to play his Android games will try to remove the SD card without unmounting

Good design is sometimes lost in the race for cheap consumer products.

I have already learned with the Asus T100 tablet / mini PC that SD cards need no cover in Taiwan, even worse, the card is partially sticking out calling for accidental release.

I find that strange because to my concept, the Micro SD is more for embedded purposes than for constant insertion and removal. Same goes for the Jolla tablet.
Micor SD needs to be covered and forgotten.

I used to be disappointed to find my 2009 Apple laptop with SD card also had the card sticking out instead of push to insert / remove.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ finland
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
My tablet is still in customs here in Finland, although i guess it was on the same flight from Leipzig.
My tablet on the other hand hasn't even shipped - even I was one of the first through the paying process.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Could someone from the UK and someone from Germany give me a hint how much tax they had to pay for the tablet - if the invigorating ever arrives I would choose the cheapest option ;-) Thx

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Oh, turned out my tablet passed through customs late yesterday and with DHL office working this morning, I just passed by and got it. Expect photos later

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Not trying to be ungrateful, we know how it looks can you tell us about the performance, battery life, viewing angles, etc. Please.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
The ringtone and background related back cover feature is a choice: if you have to feature instantly swappable back covers with ring tones you can't connect "unmount SD" to that action.
I don't see why not. Take the cover off, unmount the card, put a new one back, mount the card again. I am struggling to come up with a use case when this would cause any problem.

But,
a) we are straying further away from the topic and
b) I may be influenced by the next thing, which will conveniently bring us back to the topic...

I find that strange because to my concept, the Micro SD is more for embedded purposes than for constant insertion and removal. Same goes for the Jolla tablet.
Micor SD needs to be covered and forgotten.
Interesting. For me it is the exact opposite: a removable medium is there to be removed. That is the whole point: to easily and constantly swap it in an out, as a means of transferring data from A to B. If you want big permanent storage, you should get big permanent storage, not rely on crutches like SD cards.

Which is why I never understood why some devices, including Nokia N900 and the Jolla phone, make it so difficult. At least the Jolla tablet makes it simpler (except not really).

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Interesting. For me it is the exact opposite: a removable medium is there to be removed. That is the whole point: to easily and constantly swap it in an out, as a means of transferring data from A to B.
Definitely!!! I'd like to use them to organize data as well; one SD card for photos, one for coding / development work, one for music, one for games, etc. There's no need to get a crazy expensive high-capacity card when you can get a pile of cheap low-capacity cards and swap them as needed...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund