I often get a 'link-local IP address' message when trying to connect the wifi....usually, not always with weak signals.

Any solution to this?

I just assumed those were no go signals and I had to do without.

I received that message last night at home for the first time (n800). I was only about 25 ft away from my linksys router and the signal appeared ok. After resetting the router I was able to connect again. Then again, I have had problems with this router from time to time and assumed it to be par for the course.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've encountered this issue with bad signals, bad router configurations and bad WEP passwords. Fixed the latter 2 when I identified them, and tonight my add-on Linksys antenna came in. No more problems.

And FYI: a router reset can work wonders, especially with Linksys. Occasionally mine freaks out and a reset fixes it easily.

i had that problem when i exchanged my router. Although i used the same configuration as the old one, i got that weird errors.
At the end i delete the configuration for him on my Nokia 770 and retyped the wep-key and everything else. Than i hadn't any problems.

tonight my add-on Linksys antenna came in. No more problems.

Tell me more about this antenna!

I've seen "WEP" in many posts on ITT. I'm just wondering, is it what most ITT forums participants use as their wireless security, or it's just being used as a general term in this forum?

I'm sure many of you know that although it's better than nothing, but it's not that secure and there is free code available to break it.

I use WPA myself. But it's just a matter of time... and neighbourhood :-)

I use WPA2 and my 770 has no problem at all; it's just scary that I see so many references to WEP here.

Well, it's because the others run open APs and are ashamed to tell :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dhausle View Post
tonight my add-on Linksys antenna came in. No more problems.

Tell me more about this antenna!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2579&rd=1&rd=1

He has more.