Greetings, I have the Pinephone Beta Edition and have successfully used PMOS as of late but since they are going to the dark side (systemd) and since I run Devuan on my PC's plus have an N900 (but Tmobile is not available at my locale) I installed and like Maemo-Leste.

Tinkering with mmcli commands I confirmed that the modem is registered plus the system icons show 4g and PureTalk with okay signal but no data and when entering a number and hitting "call" after a few seconds the dialer just resets.

Looking at the logfile, syslog I think, it was curious(to me) to see a PMOS modem setup routine called but I saw no errors.

Another thing is that on PMOS with PureTalk I had to run an mmcli command to set the APN to RESELLER to get things working but that command was not recognized on Leste plus when researching mmcli commands online I found that some of the commands were not found in the Leste install.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Hi, Maemo Leste uses ofono, not ModemManager. So how did you end up with mmcli on your installation? I would recommend uninstalling ModemManager if you installed it manually

With latest image it should this easy to start use Pinephone beta edition as phone with Maemo Leste:
- put sdcard with Maemo Leste (image wrote with dd) in sdcard slot.
- start your phone (first boot sometimes have to start two times)
- write you SIM-card-pin
- Call with Sphone dialer icon or write SMS with Sphone New SM- icon (both apps comes with image)

btw. this answer was wrote with Pinephone Keyboard.

Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
With latest image it should this easy to start use Pinephone beta edition as phone with Maemo Leste:
- put sdcard with Maemo Leste (image wrote with dd) in sdcard slot.
- start your phone (first boot sometimes have to start two times)
- write you SIM-card-pin
- Call with Sphone dialer icon or write SMS with Sphone New SM- icon (both apps comes with image)

btw. this answer was wrote with Pinephone Keyboard.
I accomplished all of those except for the SIM PIN being that my provider does not issue one. The APN has been the issue in the past and ofono config is my goal, thanks.

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Hi, Maemo Leste uses ofono, not ModemManager. So how did you end up with mmcli on your installation? I would recommend uninstalling ModemManager if you installed it manually
Hi thanks, I was unaware that the two were mutually exclusive having used MM with other installs but Leste seems rather stripped down so I installed things trying to get usb ethernet and bluetooth keyboard going too and something to get modem status. I read that ofono has nil for commands so I'll dig around for some config utils for files. My first move is to set the APN since it's been the roadblock in the past.

Thanks again

Well with a fresh install and some research I found that modem-manager-gui is compatible with ofono and the status showed things connected and I was able to edit some config data including APN but other variables used with Android like mmc type were not included so I just entered the APN and clicked the "activate" button but "failed" was the result.

I did happen to receive a call while connected but could not place outgoing calls and still no data.

I read about an ofonoctl function but could not find it.

I installed Network-Manager for the usb ethernet and something wierd happened. Since no icon was found I started it via command line, then I got a message stating something saying ifup and ifdown managed the network and to delete their config file for Network-Manager to work (something like that) and then after snooping and a reboot, the usb ethernet was working but I could no longer find Network-manager. Command not found. I dunno, maybe I'm losing it.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
maemo leste has it's own 'network manager.' please don't install another

you can add/edit the APN by opening Settings/Control Panel, choosing Internet Connections, and modifying the appropriate one.

and yes, ofonoctl is not in Maemo Leste and is not needed

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
maemo leste has it's own 'network manager.' please don't install another

you can add/edit the APN by opening Settings/Control Panel, choosing Internet Connections, and modifying the appropriate one.

and yes, ofonoctl is not in Maemo Leste and is not needed
Hi thanks but it wasn't until I installed Network-Manager that usb ethernet would connect and I don't know what I'm missing but the "Internet Connections" routine only displays wifi options. I see no cellular,LTE,4G options despite "PureTalk","4G" and signal strength bar graph being displayed on the status bar.

On a side note it's interesting that when I select commtest as the backend and dial a number, I will receive an incoming call from that same number and if I answer the call then hang up the incoming call repeats. Only when I reject the call will it stop and show a missed call notification.

Originally Posted by donchurch View Post
the "Internet Connections" routine only displays wifi options. I see no cellular,LTE,4G options despite "PureTalk","4G" and signal strength bar graph being displayed on the status bar
provisioning failed. i will have to remind myself what you can/should do in that case.

if you have access to IRC, consider joining #maemo-leste on the libera.chat network

Originally Posted by donchurch View Post
it wasn't until I installed Network-Manager that usb ethernet would connect
I think it was working. The thing is - Leste doesn't provide a DHCP server on the phone, so you must enter the IP address manually on the PC. Also, you may have to choose "PC Suite" mode on the popup that appears when inserting the USB cable.

See https://leste.maemo.org/Status/USB_P...ork_on_your_PC

I'm using the so called docking station usb c plug-in and my router is the dhcp server. I acknowledge that there may be another way to get lan connected but internet connections isn't it and Network-Manager worked without configuring. I'm not much into the chat scene but will look into IRC, thanks.