@nthn: so in short you expect to see "I don't like their new homepage. A lot." on MWC. That's nice. (That said, I agree on some points you make between harsh criticism.)

I'm only expecting news about what has been teased:
  • Some kind of new manufacturer deal.
  • A new "community device", which will, again, be "sold" without warranty (except for us lucky EU people where that is illegal, IANAL though). I hope for a small device, comparable to N9 (or N950!) in size and usability.

[edit: replaced the word "hating" with "harsh criticism" to solve some problems in the world.]
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2017-02-25 at 13:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Yeah, it's telling that they are selling software, not hardware, which I thought it would be clear by now?
It is. We are just trying to figure out what's the point of SW when there's no HW to run it on.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by velox View Post
@nthn: so in short you expect to see "I don't like their new homepage. A lot." on MWC. That's nice. (That said, I agree on some points you make between hating.)

I'm only expecting news about what has been teased:
  • Some kind of new manufacturer deal.
  • A new "community device", which will, again, be "sold" without warranty (except for us lucky EU people where that is illegal, IANAL though). I hope for a small device, comparable to N9 (or N950!) in size and usability.
My post was intended as a reply to jedibeeftrix, agreeing with the 'phantom product', which I hope will be changed for the better in a week. If people could stop misinterpreting harsh criticism for hate speech, there would probably be less problems in the world. I wish Jolla all the best and I understand they have had many issues they could do nothing about (like the tablet), but how many people even know of, let alone care for, their existence outside of TMO/TJC? They constantly announce new promises, new partnerships, new this, new that, and every time it turns out to be nothing. I expect nothing from MWC, but I genuinely hope they managed to form a proper partnership with a manufacturer like BQ and will announce a new, well-built, officially supported phone available for purchase and use in Eurasia and North America.

Don't mention your hopes for a smaller phone on TJC, though, because there is a certain user called bocephus there who must have received such immense injustice from a small-device-enthusiast that he is now out on a crusade to smite all those who dare utter the blasphemous words "I don't like phablets".

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
There clearly is a Jolla gap. We need a Jolla West!
You mean, like the Fulda gap?

The Following User Says Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There has to be some North American vendor/company that would invite Sailfish on a device that would work on LTE frequencies here AND get support from Jolla directly (read: no ports).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I expect nothing from MWC, but I genuinely hope they managed to form a proper partnership with a manufacturer like BQ and will announce a new, well-built, officially supported phone available for purchase and use in Eurasia and North America.
Certainly with the hiatus of Ubuntu Touch there were a few manufacturers dabbling with alternative operating systems which might still be looking to offer something different.

BQ and Meizu both released multiple Ubuntu based devices, maybe they'll try sailfish out instead?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I don't know what Jolla do to devices, but they manage to add an extra layer of "finish".

The devices are always in some way smoother and better tuned than community ports.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Melbourne, Aus
I just hope a new globally available/compatible phone will be shown off. I need to update my J1 as it is getting tired and hurt (first ever cracked screen for me) from being my daily driver

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greendts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I don't know what Jolla do to devices, but they manage to add an extra layer of "finish".

The devices are always in some way smoother and better tuned than community ports.
It's called productisation (and what's not cheap to do)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
It's called productisation (and what's not cheap to do)
I call it intelligent design!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia