Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yeah marketing sucks as usual :/

But at least Lunduke show, Linux gamer, planetkde and planetgnome give it some attention. But they should do more.

Let's hope something happens in the weekend...
I have not one clue what Lunduke Show, Linux Gamer, PlanetKDE or PlanetGnome were until you listed them out.

Not saying I'm the majority (I'm not) but it's pretty safe to say that the problem then resides in the targeted groups - they're not putting their money into this whereas you'd think they would.

Marketing has become a necessary evil, unfortunately.

Regardless, it would be nice to see this not fail. Better yet, I'd like to see Ubuntu's Shuttleworth cover the rest because of the failure that was Ubuntu Touch (not mentioning the Ubuntu Edge).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have not one clue what Lunduke Show, Linux Gamer, PlanetKDE or PlanetGnome were until you listed them out.

Not saying I'm the majority (I'm not) but it's pretty safe to say that the problem then resides in the targeted groups - they're not putting their money into this whereas you'd think they would.

Marketing has become a necessary evil, unfortunately.

Regardless, it would be nice to see this not fail. Better yet, I'd like to see Ubuntu's Shuttleworth cover the rest because of the failure that was Ubuntu Touch (not mentioning the Ubuntu Edge).
I didn't even know Purism as company existed until Lunduke told about it and I looked at the site and realized they already have three existing Linux laptops.

I was almost near buy a new Linux laptop from system76 but now I may choose a purism laptop instead since librem laptops runs open bios too...

So purism seems to be an interesting company for sure...

They almost reached 2/3 just now...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Now this looks interesting:
https://puri.sm/posts/the-librem-5-d...-and-progress/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
...because of the failure that was Ubuntu Touch (not mentioning the Ubuntu Edge).
[OT]Failure??? Oh no, Ubuntu Edge was a resounding success! The campaign was a publicity stunt, nothing more, nothing less. And it achieved exactly what it was meant to achieve.

Ubuntu Touch is another matter. That was a failure, no question.[/OT]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd it works!

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/

well it's on a good path

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Currently they are at about 63% with 20 days to go. That means Purism has to raise about $27500 per day which is like about 46/day of new orders for the $599 device. Lets see where they're at in 5 and 10 days from now to determine the trend. Hopefully it is going in a positive way...
Hey! They broke a million! About 70% there! Not only that but they are picking up steam! Now need to go at a pace of about 42 $599 devices a day to reach goal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
They are targeting exactly the right group of people so far. Linux enthusiasts. They can only hope that there are about 33% more of them. The world needs more of them too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I'd appreciate some input from anyone who knows something about different chipsets... what can we expect from the i.MX8 purism have chosen here?

In Chen's new qwerty slider concept discussion thread there was some good discussion about the relative merits of different chips:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Qualcomm (Chosen): Solution extremely expensive. Components are hard to get. But support is great (in terms of drivers). Performance at top tier, power management is great.
Intel: They exit mobile chipset business and atom range is not as power efficiency as Qualcomm.
MTK: Cheaper than Qualcomm, performance is OK. But drivers often being the issue. Components often out of stock...
Allwinner: Lower end cheap SoC with unknown support other than Android
Rockchip: Strength on Media but not a mainstream chipset.
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You say you've already chosen Qualcomm (which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your target audience) but I've a few comments on your summary of SoCs which you may want to take into consideration.

Intel have indeed exited the mobile chipset business however China-based mobile chip vendor Spreadtrum have partnered with Intel and have been making new x86-based SoCs for smartphones.

Allwinner is quite the opposite of what you describe. They are actually one of the best vendors for non-Android support and use Mali GPUs which are compatible with the Lima free/open drivers.

You didn't mention OMAP, perhaps because TI are no longer developing new chips, but OMAP has great mainline Linux support. The main disadvantage with OMAP is the PowerVR GPU for which there are no free/open drivers.

Qualcomm has traditionally been a bad choice for privacy reasons. Their SoCs are known to have bad hardware design where the modem controls GPS, audio (including mic), RAM, NAND. If you choose a Qualcomm SoC without a built-in modem, it might be okay. Mainline Linux support for certain Qualcomm SoCs has improved in recent years and Freedreno (along with Lima) is one of the more advanced projects for free/open GPU drivers.

Have a look at my thread on mainline Linux devices which provides some info on which SoCs are currently best supported by mainline Linux. There are currently two 64-bit Qualcomm phones with some support: the LG Nexus 5X (MSM8992) and the Huawei Nexus 6P (MSM8994). Other 64-bit Qualcomm chips with mainline support can be found here.
I don't know enough to tell if the i.MX8 falls under one of the categories above, or if it's part of a completely different line of chips?

I would be interested in some informed opinions about how it compares to the competition! Obviously the point of this phone is that it's fully open, so I wouldn't expect the performance and battery life to be comparable, but it's still worth discussing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I'd appreciate some input from anyone who knows something about different chipsets... what can we expect from the i.MX8 purism have chosen here?

In Chen's new qwerty slider concept discussion thread there was some good discussion about the relative merits of different chips:

I don't know enough to tell if the i.MX8 falls under one of the categories above, or if it's part of a completely different line of chips?

I would be interested in some informed opinions about how it compares to the competition! Obviously the point of this phone is that it's fully open, so I wouldn't expect the performance and battery life to be comparable, but it's still worth discussing.
I know they are also made by Qualcomm after they bought NXP, but that's about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
75% or 3/4 reached. My guess is it will reach 80% in the weekend

Edit: indeed already 81% will it reach 85% in The weekend lets see

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2017-10-06 at 15:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: