Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Just got myself a full set of spare parts from Dirks shop! Hope it is enough to let me build a second TOHKBD (after ordering the casings from Shapeway).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Some well-deserved fame for the TOHKBD Team!

Leading german magazin c't did a feature in their Video Podcast "uplink 8.3"

TOHKBD starts at 24:40, only in german thou.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Glad to see Dirk's factory at 27:40. That's a huge building.

The Following User Says Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Dirk fixed my keyboard and now every button works. Some buttons might require some extra force, so listening and feeling the tactile feedback is not enough. But I have noticed that the more I use ths keyboard the troublesome keys start to work better and better. After two weeks of usage the last troublesome button started to work 90% of the times.

Have any of you looked into modifying small rails instead of magnets? I'm not that fond into these magnets. Shapeways case have worn a bit and now the indexing notches are not holding the keyboard (actually the rest of the phone) in firmly enough for me to type anywhere where dropping the phone could cause damage to it.

--
Hount

The Following User Says Thank You to Hount For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
It is interesting how also Google is using magnets to attach the hardware keyboard to its latest Google Pixel C Tablet.

Youtube Video.

Originally Posted by TechCrunch
Unlike on the Surface, there is no hinge on the tablet itself. Instead, it’s on the keyboard. You simply align the tablet with the keyboard and they’ll click together. All of this is held together with magnets. And those magnets are strong. I’ve stuck the C on a metal door to test them and there was no way it was going to drop. Similarly, I never worried about the tablet accidentally detaching from the keyboard.

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/rev...ixel-c-tablet/
The question is, got Google 'inspired' by the TOHKBD project?

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
The question is, got Google 'inspired' by the TOHKBD project?
I can only assume so, since we invented magnets.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Another lawsuit going google's way :P

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Hmm. Android support is still missing for TOHKB2..

How can i overwrite file /opt/alien/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm
with a custom scandic one.safely.?

Did see this workaround here but which command to use foe replacing that orginal file?

https://together.jolla.com/question/...n-android-apps

Last edited by Wallace; 2015-12-26 at 14:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
Has anyone had issues with the phone compass when using TOHKBD? Static magnetic field shouldn't affect the calibration but in my experience it does. Posted my findings in TJC but here's the summary:

Calibration [with 8-shaped motion] works pretty much ok without TOHKBD (although it seems not be spot on) but immediately goes south (pun intended) with it attached. Also, after deattaching TOHKBD the 8-shaped motion does return the north bearing to approximately where it should be.

[...]

So, it would seem that SFOS compass is not as crazy as I've thought it to be, I just need to "pack lighter" when I need it. What I don't really understand is that how the static magnetic field can have this kind of an effect? Does it e.g. scale the sensor readings so much up that rounding errors start interfering with the calibration, or what? I also noticed that the kind of "corrective motion" that is seen after turning the phone around quickly without TOHKBD is missing when it is attached (to find an analogue from mechnanical compass, it is like the needle is not floating freely).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zagrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Mar 2016 @ Sweden
It could be that the magnets in TOHKBD are too strong for the Jolla's magnetometer and cause it to saturate. In that case, calibration doesn't help.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rolh For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd