Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, we are. But then you realize that even sailfish which is by far more complete from all of them just doesn't do for everyday tasks. What's the point or running sailfish just for calls (since nobody is texting any more, at least not the old fashioned SMS way and our beloved OS doesn't support any other popular platform) and then boot android to do everything else.
Hi. If no one is texting anymore what is the current means communication of choice. You mean using MMS or social media media? If you just want to communicate to one person or a few people what do you use? Just asking.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Every single time this guy (gtmaster303) posts I ask myself, why?
Why is this person here?
Every.Friggin.Time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. If no one is texting anymore what is the current means communication of choice. You mean using MMS or social media media? If you just want to communicate to one person or a few people what do you use? Just asking.
Like I said, SMS. And that's the only form of textual communication that is available at sailfish. Have to say that I dont't know how god or bad are these new telegram clients but in all these years jolla should have stepped up and make an official one but instead all they do is bumping OS version. The only thing that sailfish got in these 6-7 years that was not there in the beginning is navigation app and not thanks to jolla.
In the last 12 months my job required a bunch of mails with photos and documents on a daily basis. On the field, no office, no table, no computer. Just forests, hills, islands, rooftops.....And even mail client on sailfish sucks in comparison to k9 mail. Batch resizing images...... how to do that on sailfish? There's document app on sailfish but how to edit spreadsheets?
I get that sailfish can be perfect for someone who is in the office all day and does everything on the desktop but as a on the go tool it just lacking in so many ways. And pretending that it does not will not make it better than android. Hell, even 15 years ago on UIQ I could do a lot more work related stuff than it's possible on sailfish today. And just hating android won't change that. Maemo on n900 10 years ago was more capable.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Thanks, I didn't realize Sailfish is still quite limited. I have to admit that my purchase of phones has been pretty much driven by which phone has the best hardware with usable software and hacking potential. While I own the Jolla 1 and tablet I don't find their capabilities up to par has a whole (besides not really being that usable in US cause of network issues- although xperia solves some of that) and have used android on best hardware I can find.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n900user259 View Post
Why is this person here?
Every.Friggin.Time.
You must be a crowd favorite at parties...

The Following User Says Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Lol, you've got guts.

Prepare for this thread to go off-topic in 3... 2... 1...
I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion, but like or not we all need Android for this device to survive and be profitable for the company.
So I don't see how trashing the main software for this phone is helpful to anyone
If it's not Android you're talking about a fraction of a fraction of users for this device

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Why all the Android hate?
Not sure if you were referring to my posts, but for what it's worth, I was not hating Android. The reasons why I personally dislike Android is because (1) I hate the ergonomics and the way the UI is circumvoluted, (2) it defaults to tracking data with options hidden everywhere and some things are impossible to properly disable even when you know what you are doing, and (3) it has acquired such a dominant position that alternatives are all deemed insignificant by developers and companies offering mobile applications, to the point that you cannot park your car in some towns if you have no Android/iOS phone, use certain banks, or sometimes even continue using the banks you were using before. Applications have replaced websites for some services because Android largely prevails, and I do not think this is a good thing. Android should not be a standard. But it is and we have to deal with it, maybe making some compromises if we prefer alternatives.

However, I do not know Android enough to generalize my critics. Opinions are my own and I chose my words wisely specifically to avoid sounding like a hater just for the sake of hating. I do prefer Sailfish (especially with Alien Dalvik to compensate for the missing applications, but unfortunately Google Services are becoming mandatory) or Leste. I do not like Android, but I am glad Chen and F(x)tec decided to offer their phone to the mass by supporting Android on top of my niche OS.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Like I said, SMS. And that's the only form of textual communication that is available at sailfish. Have to say that I dont't know how god or bad are these new telegram clients but in all these years jolla should have stepped up and make an official one but instead all they do is bumping OS version. The only thing that sailfish got in these 6-7 years that was not there in the beginning is navigation app and not thanks to jolla.
In the last 12 months my job required a bunch of mails with photos and documents on a daily basis. On the field, no office, no table, no computer. Just forests, hills, islands, rooftops.....And even mail client on sailfish sucks in comparison to k9 mail. Batch resizing images...... how to do that on sailfish? There's document app on sailfish but how to edit spreadsheets?
I get that sailfish can be perfect for someone who is in the office all day and does everything on the desktop but as a on the go tool it just lacking in so many ways. And pretending that it does not will not make it better than android. Hell, even 15 years ago on UIQ I could do a lot more work related stuff than it's possible on sailfish today. And just hating android won't change that. Maemo on n900 10 years ago was more capable.
Sailfish also supports XMPP, which is of course not rivaling Whatsapp, but this deserved being mentioned because I believe this protocol better fits the Sailfish "freedom" idea. Unfortunately, only freaks like us and some other nerd communities know about XMPP so it is hardly usable as a replacement communication system, and it has its flaws, but I do appreciate that Sailfish supported it out of the box from the very beginning. But again, I do use SMS and MMS so I might not be the best example. I do use my phone on the field very often too though, and mostly with native apps, but Alien Dalvik comes to the rescue when necessary (less and less often, because it is now too outdated to run certain Android applications). It is true, however, that not everything can be done with native applications, and old systems like Maemo were maybe more polyvalent at their time. But this was mostly before the Android era, and reason (3) above. I bet none of the old OSes would have had their respective ecosystems if they happened to be released at a time when Android was already considered as much as a standard as today.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-05-13 at 18:02.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by n900user259 View Post
Why is this person here?
Every.Friggin.Time.
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
You must be a crowd favorite at parties...
n900user259, please consider ignoring posts you do not like before borderline asking others to form an opinion on someone. That would be nice.

gtmaster303, Android is quite far from the ideals most users here at TMO try to hold up. Basically it is not much about hate but annoyance to not get what we want. From android, and a mere discussion about Android.
This forum is dedicated to keep maemo-likes alive and thus a device specific thread like this one is naturally mainly discussed in light of feasibility to use it "for our cause".
If you followed the thread, nearly everyone is fine with fxtec shipping the device with android to have a market chance or even use it for a while oneself.
Main goal of most users here however is to witness and discuss the magic of bringing alternative oses to the pro1.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
(2) it defaults to tracking data with options hidden everywhere and some things are impossible to properly disable even when you know what you are doing, and (3) it has acquired such a dominant position that alternatives are all deemed insignificant by developers [...] Android should not be a standard. But it is and we have to deal with it, maybe making some compromises if we prefer alternatives.
Those are my main beefs as well, and (2) is why I *do* hate anything remotely related to Google.
The amount of abuse they perpetrate (along with many other megacorps) upon people's privacy is utterly preposterous.
What's even more irritating and saddening is that so many people just don't care, because it's everywhere and it's "easy".
It's even worse when it's "tech-savvy" people that are endorsing this crap

Ugh... gotta... control... myself...

Mosen is spot-on, as expected, but it's concerning that he had to explain what TMO is about

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
You don't necessarily have to throw out the baby and the bathwater you guys...

(It took me long enough to figure it out....
Cause I have about a 3 storey pile of babies outside my window ...
from all the throwing I have been doing.....Thank goodness I live on the side of a valley....)

there is an "UnGooglized" option y'know.
(Love it..."UnGooglized" ...hahaha)

https://hothardware.com/news/e-rolls...oid-smartphone

see how well it does...
Maybe I will give it a go if it doesn't flop after some time...
(I know ...I know...still...I gotta use something in this world nowadays ...Being a Maemo Luddite just isn't possible ...for day to day necessity, it is a choice between the lesser of 2 weevils ....as they say ...android or iphone....that being said...take the lesser weevil ...and strip it bare ...then it is a bearable pain ...when more viable options arise ...and they will...nothing is forever ....especially in mobile tech...the speed of transformation will overthrow the two terrible weevils eventually... )

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-05-13 at 18:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit