Notices

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Hi rinigus, two questions, also related to search function:
  • How do I have to enter a search string for OSM Scout Server?
    If I use WhoGo Maps (or soon Pure Maps) I normally use OpenCage or Photon. Both work quite OK. But the search with OSM Scout doesn't really work for me. For example if I want to search for "München" (Munic) I get a lot of results, but non of it is München itself but Münchner Straße, Münchenroth, Münchenroda...
  • I was 3 weeks ago in England, visiting friends. They live quite rural, out of town. So they don't have a house number nor a street name. The only possibility to navigate to them, was using HERE WeGo (Android), because there you can enter the postcode. Is postcode search planned in future releases?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I second the postcode search requirement.

Regarding München, check out here
In short, form the search query as "<house number>,<street name>,<town>,<country", with fields omitted as necessary.
In your case, ",,München".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Hi rinigus, two questions, also related to search function:
  • How do I have to enter a search string for OSM Scout Server?
    If I use WhoGo Maps (or soon Pure Maps) I normally use OpenCage or Photon. Both work quite OK. But the search with OSM Scout doesn't really work for me. For example if I want to search for "München" (Munic) I get a lot of results, but non of it is München itself but Münchner Straße, Münchenroth, Münchenroda...
  • I was 3 weeks ago in England, visiting friends. They live quite rural, out of town. So they don't have a house number nor a street name. The only possibility to navigate to them, was using HERE WeGo (Android), because there you can enter the postcode. Is postcode search planned in future releases?
Re München: This has been an issue that was resolved probably few releases ago. It was resolved by sorting the results differently by geocoder-nlp and was raised earlier in this thread due to the similar issue in UK (see linked post by pichlo). When just tested, "München" gave a city as a first result. So, please try with the current version.

Re search string: when all works as it should, libpostal processes the addresses in the natural (for selected languages in OSM Scout Server) order of addresses. In Estonian, that would be street housenr, city, country (commas can be skipped). When it fails for one reason or another (shouldn't be frequent), you could set in OSM Scout Server settings for GeocoderNLP to use primitive parser which will use the same hierarchy sequence as suggested by
pichlo.

Re postcodes: sounds like its a popular request for UK. I have opened an issue regarding it, but haven't worked on it yet. In theory, its possible, since my import pipeline has that data available, at least in part. But I will have to think how to do that. Obviously, libpostal knows how to separate postal code from the address, but the search has to be done by my geocoder.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Re postcodes: sounds like its a popular request for UK.
In the UK, postcodes are the way of giving directions. There is nearly a direct mapping between a postcode and geographic coordinates. There is a postcode for every street; long streets can have several postcodes. And of course important landmarks have their own postcodes too.

So I would not say they are "popular". More like "essential".

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
In the UK, postcodes are the way of giving directions. There is nearly a direct mapping between a postcode and geographic coordinates. There is a postcode for every street; long streets can have several postcodes. And of course important landmarks have their own postcodes too.

So I would not say they are "popular". More like "essential".
Can you specify how do you expect this to work. Do you just type in the postcode and get coordinates to drive to? Or do you specify post code and some additional information?

Having a mapping between postcodes -> coordinates is "simple". So, driving on the basis of postcodes only.

Having a mapping between postcodes and some extra data is harder. Not sure how to do that properly yet

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Well in Here WeGo, I just put in the postcode. More wasn't necessary and as I told you my Frinds don't have a proper adress, no streetname, no house number, BUT a postcode.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
@rinigus I have to excuse me. The problem with the search string was my mistake. On the last Map update, there must have gone some things wrong, therefore some parts were not downloded completely. After downloading them anew all works as expected.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Took longer than expected to reply, but I became rather stretched with the recent developments. Let's see if it was such a good idea to get into the client GUI software in full.
GUI software programming can be FUN, especially if it has to account for quirks of both mobile and desktop platforms.

If you do decide to port Poor Maps to also run desktop Linux and other mobile platforms I have some experience with that from modRana development (8+ years ). Also if you decide to use Universal Components for common multi-platform QML GUI codebase I'm standing by to answer any questions & fix/improve the API (time permitting).

But that I will know somewhat later, when the setting up and fixes are done. Anyway, I would expect to have even less time to code for modRana specifically.
That's definitely understandable - now after the "analysis" is done, it's not looking that complicated anymore. Still there is quite a bit to do in othter places in modRana as well (finally use proper TTS & improve navigation mode, use the new icon & branding recently contributed for modRana, add support for MApBox GL native widget, typed POI search, etc.).

Any other takes for a modRana coding adventure ? ;-)

I have implemented the search along the route for WhoGo using the current road only. So, its active only if there is a road available.
Yep, that has been my idea as well.

As for limitations, OSM Scout Server searches the full road with the search optionally from some position. Imagine driving along road and looking for upcoming gas stations. So, some options are needed to be specified.
I'm thinking about a map screen button that's shown when a road is being followed as the primary entry point for this feature. That should help with discoverability & make the feature available when most needed.

To me, it looks like an additional Search on modRana Search screen, next to Local and Wikipedia.
Yep, that could be the secondary access point after the on map button.

As for options, you would probably want to add some options for Local search as well, to get support for specifying type and name in OSM Scout Server options.
Yeah, I really need to handle that as well - sorry for not acting on your issue/PR for so long. :P

Probably also distance from current location or road. There are not that many options, so, screen can be shared with the results, but still some.
Yeah, that looks doable. I'm starting to think it might be good eventually rethink how some of these screens work but that can wait before the more pressing issues are implemented and fixed.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Can you specify how do you expect this to work. Do you just type in the postcode and get coordinates to drive to? Or do you specify post code and some additional information?
Postcode only! I don't know anyone in the UK who puts more than just the postcode into a satnav, like Pichlo said the mapping between postcode and coordinates is quite precise.

Let's say you are navigating to a house, 99% of the time the postcode would take you within 100m of the house and you'd just be looking at house numbers from that point. For something like a supermarket, the postcode would probably take you to the centre of the car park.

We don't tend to have long residential roads with 100s of houses either, typically the number of houses on a street would be less than 50.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Here is a link to UK postcodes: https://postcodeaddressfile.co.uk/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles