Notices

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
K, thanks for your hint, I had searched for mp-fremantle-205-pr but found nothing. Searching for mp-fremantle I found they talked about mp-fremantle-generic-pr in the overclocking thread.

This is what I did:
- Restored original state (obex 0.18)
- Installed this mp-fremantle-generic-pr hoping that this would also install mp-fremantle-205-pr with this command:
apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr
(This also installed me some other packages: maemo-optify-runonce, rtcom-accounts-plugin-facebook, modest-home-applet, libqt4-multimedia, rtcom-skype-emoticons-theme, rtcom-accounts-voip-support, cherry, no idea why and hope this doesnīt cause any trouble in the future or with other installed apps, However, mp-fremantle-205-pr was NOT included... )
- Installed your .debs (libopenobex2 and obexd2)

So far everything looks fine and also no false update notification, but, I have still no idea how to get mp-fremantle-205-pr reinstalled :-(

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
The mp-fremantle-xxx is a sort of virtual package to get all dependencies for a proper maemo installatiion.
The xxx seems to depend on your location (us, uk, other europe...)

When I played with the overclocking kernels I got into the same problems and could not upgrade to PR1.2. So in the end I just had to reflash the whole box.

By installing the generic one you may just have 'converted' your n900 to an other 'region'. Don't know if this is harmfull.

you might learn a bit more from looking in the files in /var/lib/apt/lists

Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
The mp-fremantle-xxx is a sort of virtual package to get all dependencies for a proper maemo installatiion.
The xxx seems to depend on your location (us, uk, other europe...)

When I played with the overclocking kernels I got into the same problems and could not upgrade to PR1.2. So in the end I just had to reflash the whole box.

By installing the generic one you may just have 'converted' your n900 to an other 'region'. Don't know if this is harmfull.

you might learn a bit more from looking in the files in /var/lib/apt/lists
To be honest, I donīt know what I can read from the files in /var/lib/apt/lists.

Tried apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-* but it gives me only -002, -203, -003, -004 and -generic but not what I am looking for: -205 !?
Wouldnīt using the correct version convert my phone back to the correct region (europe/germany)? But which one is the correct version as -205 is not available!?
Is it possible that someone sends me that file? If yes, where is it located at my phone?

I have a rather simple question:

How do I find out whether the restoration of the original state has been succesful? Is there some sort of version check command to determine that?

That question might sound dumb. but I do not really know how to administrate Linux and I was merrily following the instructions provided here.

However, while issuing the apt-get commands I noticed status output like "0 installed 0 updated 28 ignored" and "version does not exist". For this reasone I'd like to perform a check if the downgrade has worked.

Thanks,

Maniac

PS: My attempts to get this fix to work were unsuccesful so far (2006 BMW E92 Nav Pro). There has been an update today, right? I am anxious to retry it next week when I can spare some time.

Originally Posted by maniac_2k View Post
I have a rather simple question:

How do I find out whether the restoration of the original state has been succesful? Is there some sort of version check command to determine that?
This command should show you the version:

apt-cache show obexd

After downgrade it should be 0.18-0maemo5+0m5

Originally Posted by maniac_2k View Post
PS: My attempts to get this fix to work were unsuccesful so far (2006 BMW E92 Nav Pro). There has been an update today, right? I am anxious to retry it next week when I can spare some time.
The update today is mostly about making installing easier and does not bring new features or better compatibility!
It is not very likely that a 2006 model supports PBAP and no successful test was reported so far for a 2006 or older model...
Maybe you can get a software upgrade from your car dealer!?

I installed the debs of mirakels' post #115 and I can succesfully transfer AND sync contacts with my Toyota Prius MY 2010. Later I will try the new obexd in post #118.

Many thanks mirakels!

Just one little thing about the current PBAP implementation: FAX numers are transferred along with mobile numbers, landline numbers etc.

It seems to me that FAX numbers are useless in a car-kit. Would it be possible to filter them out before the contacts are sent by the N900?

Last edited by lore; 2010-08-15 at 16:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to lore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
This command should show you the version:

apt-cache show obexd

After downgrade it should be 0.18-0maemo5+0m5
That is exactly thw version what is shown. Thank you!

t is not very likely that a 2006 model supports PBAP and no successful test was reported so far for a 2006 or older model...
Maybe you can get a software upgrade from your car dealer!?
Both a SE P990i and a Nokia E90 (both Symbian 9.x devices) have worked with the PBAP support in my car's environment. However, I agree that a software update might remedy the problem. Especially that there have been reports from a BMW 2007 X5 driver confirming the PBAP functionality provided by your fix. This car has the same entertainment system as my E92. I'll inquire an update at BMW asap.

Robert

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I installed the debs of mirakels' post #115 and I can succesfully transfer AND sync contacts with my Toyota Prius MY 2010. Later I will try the new obexd in post #118.
the one in post 118 is actually just a repackaging of the one in #113 to
resolve the app manager issue. If you take the #118 one please first reinstall obexd-0.18.

Just one little thing about the current PBAP implementation: FAX numers are transferred along with mobile numbers, landline numbers etc.

It seems to me that FAX numbers are useless in a car-kit. Would it be possible to filter them out before the contacts are sent by the N900?
Yes, any TEL attribute is transferred. I have contatcts with fax numbers but don;t remeber seeing them listed by my carkit. But it might just be that I never selected such a contact. On the other hand it doesn't bother me much if the fax number is listed also.

But I guess it could be filtered out.

Personally I absolutely do not care if FAX numbers are filtered or not. Donīt even remember when I used a FAX the last time ;-)

But from my point of view, they do no harm when transferred and there might be even a use case for some users, e.g. imagine being on the road having a call and you want to tell the caller a FAX number...If transfered you can easily lookup the number in your phonebook...

Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
Personally I absolutely do not care if FAX numbers are filtered or not. Donīt even remember when I used a FAX the last time ;-)

But from my point of view, they do no harm when transferred and there might be even a use case for some users, e.g. imagine being on the road having a call and you want to tell the caller a FAX number...If transfered you can easily lookup the number in your phonebook...
Well then your ideal car-kit should hold all info on contacts - you may want it to lookup facebook profiles while you drive!...

In my personal case I use the car-kit to make and (mostly) take telephone calls safely while I'm in my car.

It seems to me that FAX numbers don't belong in a car-kit. Just my opinion.

So I wish that my N900 didn't transfer fax numbers to my car-kit.

If it can't be done, it's no biggie. Thanks anyway.

Tags
bada rox, bluetooth, carkit, contacts, irmc sync, pbap profile