Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
What kind of staff does not get initialized?
I understood kexec as if the kernel (and hereby OS) is completely restarted?
Well, when the device boots a "normal" way, it is done via the CPU reset vector. CS signals get pulled low, device registers are clered. Then the OS loader initializes pretty much everything to zero, memory areas are cleared and devices get a fresh start, starting from "known zeroed states".

When ubiboot (or other kexec-like boot loader) is used, the first stage kernel gets this "good initialization". When the 2nd stage kernl boots, device drivers have been running and HW is not in pristine state any longer. Even as the kernel itself gets a fresh start all the devices remain in the state the previous kernel left them.

A simple dmesg will not be sfficient, or?
I just've seen that a simple-syslog-daemon is already installed!? Will that output be sufficient? Or do you want me to install klogd/syklogd? Please let me know before I am going to flash forth and back kernels.

Of course I will check those outputs against anomalies/differences, but am afraid that I will not be the one to find the culprit.
I hope you will help me with that?
Well, what I think is that the difference should be visible in working of the target kernel, so for example when you boot the L2fixed kernel with ubiboot or directly, there might be differences in dmesg, and more so in syslog as there could be info from applications that might reveal something.

So, If you could start the same kernel both with ubiboot and flashed directly, and after it had booted up attempt to use SIP call.
Take /var/log/syslog and dmesg from both cases. Also the ubiboot.dmesg might be good even though I think it's the target kernels logs that are important.

Then, of course debugging the SIP call itself, I am not that familiar with it but indeed you could traceroute the destination, check your iptables etc..

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Yep, did that already.
But.once.again.checked.it.out.
Result:
l2fix: no SIP
standard open mode: no SIP
e-yes nitdroid: no SIP
stock Harmattan kernel: working SIP
going back to l2fix.openmode: no SIP

All with ubiboot, but I cannot think of loading 2nd stage kernel being the cause. Or?

One more detail, which make me sure it is not related to my provider but to kernel (and maybe other may check this also): even with an internal FRITZ!Box account behaviour is the same.
I can confirm this.
On my black N9 64GB Rev. 1601 same problem with internal AVM FritzBox VoIP Accounts:

Stock PR1.3 kernel: Workig SIP, but no ICQ Account (recreation needed)
OpenMode Kernel: No SIP, all other accounts including ICQ working.

AVM FritzBox VOIP always have this credentials for VOIP:

Adress: 620@fritz.box
Password: 0000

With Nokia N900: No Problem
With N9 Stock: No Problem
With N9 OpenMode: Network error (when sip accoun was created under Stock kernel)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Is there any free sip providers that can be used to verify/test this?
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Heureka!

Found the culprit. and solved it.
Details of discussion with juiceme ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-05-09 at 16:09. Reason: added link to irc log

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Heureka!

Details after discussion with juiceme ...
ooo, that, if anything is a teaser
Come to #ubiboot in IRC and tell me what you have discovered!

Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Heureka!

Details of discussion with juiceme ...
Hello Guys,

so how it will going on?
would juiceme create a new rev. of ubiboot or can i change something by myself, so SIP is working under openmode ?

Thanks

Ah yes, I have not even made a new version as the correction is really so simple, it does not require one.

Turns out the problem is caused by the activation of the USB networking interface in the preinit script. This part of the script is NOT necessary for Harmattan startup, only for Nitdroid but it was left there by mistake as I did not realize it might cause trouble.

Possible scenario for the problem is that the SIP application searches for the first available network interface and binds itself there. If the USB interface is configured with an address, even when not in RUNNING state, it will still latch to that and not to the GPRS or WLAN interface it should use.

Correction: copy the original /sbin/preinit script to /sbin/preinit_harmattan

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Or just comment out the lines in preinit_harmattan containing
modprobe g_ether
and
ifconfig usb0 ... up

Or
rename/remove preinit_harmattan
and link preinit_harmattan to preinit (same approach as juiceme).
or
edit /init and modify that preinit instead of preinit_harmattan is used
or just follow juiceme's way

@juiceme
Are you going to give us (erm: me) the configurable partition possibility? As I would like to switch to ubiboot-02, but was waiting for some updates. Otherwise I will now go with current revision and modify again to my needs (especially I would like to try to boot Harmattan from /dev/mmcblk0p5 ...

btw: thanks for the nice readme, just read again and it explains/describes everythig in detail!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@juiceme
Are you going to give us (erm: me) the configurable partition possibility? As I would like to switch to ubiboot-02, but was waiting for some updates. Otherwise I will now go with current revision and modify again to my needs (especially I would like to try to boot Harmattan from /dev/mmcblk0p5 ...
Yes, I am, eventually

The thing is I am stiil waiting to solve the 1603 problem and I was kind of thinking to release a full set of modifications with that....
(translation = I am a lazy b*****d)

But of course it's better to release early, release often.
So, I will give you the partition configurability first

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Now I know why I didn't have the SIP issue using ubiboot; my preinit_harmattan was the original preinit instead of ubiboot's...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: