Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
As of about an hour and a half ago, Facebook Chat has launched support for Jabber/XMPP.

Reference Facebook Blog post : http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=297991732130

To get Facebook Chat running on your n900 without ANY extra programs, using only the built in features of a stock n900, follow these instructions:

1. Go to the Settings Menu
2. Go to VoIP and IM accounts
3. Press New
4. Select Jabber
5. Press Register New Account (necessary even if u already have a facebook profile, note that if you don't have a facebook profile i don't know if you can do this)
6. In the 'User Name' field, type in '<facebook-username>@chat.facebook.com' substituting your facebook vanity profile name for <facebook-username> and obviously omitting the single quotes.
7. In the 'Password' field enter your current facebook password, then enter it again in the Verify field
8. Press Advanced Settings
9. In the 'Connect to server' field, type 'chat.facebook.com'
10. Ensure that Port is set to '5222'
11. STUN settings are unneeded, leave default
12. After finishing registration, login with username: <facebook-username>@chat.facebook.com' and your facebook password.

Please note that this will pollute your Address Book with all your facebook contacts so be prepared to clean up

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Please note that this will pollute your Address Book with all your facebook contacts so be prepared to clean up
I'm wary of using any a new IM plugins in conversation because I'm kind of tired of manually fixing the contacts again and again...

Is there some plugin or way to create a new group of contacts only for an IM plugin and later try to unify it?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
I'm using an n810 with rtcomm add on (or whatever the thing is called), and it doesn't work when I try to register a new jabber account. I experimented though and it seems to have worked when you use an existing one.
Something up?

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
6. In the 'User Name' field, type in '<facebook-username>@chat.facebook.com' substituting your facebook vanity profile name for <facebook-username> and obviously omitting the single quotes.
Quick question what is the facebook username? I am not aware of having such a thing. Is it what you use to log in which is your email address?

Edit: Not to worry I found the answer on another thread.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...479#post520479

Last edited by etuoyo; 2010-02-11 at 01:38.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Quick question what is the facebook username? I am not aware of having such a thing. Is it what you use to log in which is your email address?

It can't be that... because there could easily be duplicates e.g.

JohnD@gmail.com
JohnD@hotmail.com

Hrmmm...

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinNZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
No luck on the N810...when it goes to sign in after putting in the username, pw, and settings it says unable to create account. Would try on my N900 but dont wanna pollute my contact list on there.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
@soeiro
If you press the title bar in the Contact Manager and press Groups you can sort by IM plugin groups and it will show only the contacts with information for the selected plugin.

@Mgamerz
I dont know. I used my n900 and have no experience otherwise. If you follow the link to the facebook post, there is a link in there that takes you to some information on setting up various clients for fb chat. I just used the info in the Other category.

@etuoyo
im not sure what will work and what wont. My facebook profile is at facebook.com/mmurfin and when i log in to facebook i just use mmurfin so that worked for the (facebook-username) for me.If you follow the the link to the facebook blog post and go to the page it links to for information on setting up clients and click on Other, it will show u ur username

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post

you need to log into your facebook wed site acount, and then go to [edit acount] in order to find out.

Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
I'm using an n810 with rtcomm add on (or whatever the thing is called), and it doesn't work when I try to register a new jabber account. I experimented though and it seems to have worked when you use an existing one.
Something up?
You don't need to creat an account on the jabber server. just chose "use existing account" and follow the procedure

Now that this is up and running we ofcourse no longer nead the facebook chat that was built into pecan I think it was. Is there an easy way to delete facebook contact info from contacts that was introduced in pecan? I tried deleting my facebook account from the device but the facebook info is still in my contacts.