Bin dabei

Ok, in english now...
It seems that the card is definitely too slow. There is a SD speed test thread (actually, there are two) and the one guy has about 7.5mb/s read speed and 6.5mb/s write speed with his 150x 4gb Transcend card. This is a limit of the device, not of the card. I doubt if any card could reach significant higher transfer rates, because the n800 seems to be the bottleneck right now.
Have you tried to change the slot? Move it to the external slot and find out what happens. You can use dmesg to check if something is very wrong.
1mb/s transfer rate is not normal. I will receive my transcend card tomorrow (I hope so) and I am going to do a complete check, then I will report.
I hope this time it was no "Griff ins Klo".

I've read most of the messages in this thread and have found it quite interesting. I think I can handle formatting my as yet purchased 4 gb SD cards for the fat32 needed to be able to use the whole card but I need some help with how to do that. I do have a usb Compact Flash card reader made by Lexar Media, but it is for the 50 pin cards that I use for my camera. Do I need another card reader? I also own a windows xp sp/2 computer. So, is formatting a card something I'll need software for on my windows computer or will I find what I need built into windows? Well, I wish I knew how to update to the new kernel, but that is well beyond what I know how to do.

Thanks in advance,
Neil
happy n800 user and Gizmo customer
Seattle

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You'll need a multi-format card reader that includes support for the SD (and ideally, SDHC) format. All multi-format card readers will support SD but only more recent card readers will include support for SDHC - you may want to bear this in mind when purchasing. Multi-format card readers are dirt cheap these days.

You won't need any extra software on a Windows PC - FAT32 is supported by default. Plug the card reader in to a spare USB port, insert your SD card into the reader and XP will mount it as a mass storage drive on your computer - right click the drive in the Windows File Explorer to format it.

There's a sd card on woot.com for 24.99. Does anyone have this card and if it works on the n800? Hurry...anyone?

Connect3D 4GB Secure Digital Memory Card
$24.99
"less is like more but better"

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i just ordered 2 A-Data 8GB SDHC cards from newegg.com for $118.20 delivered.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Buy.com has Connect3D 4Gb cards on sale for $29.99.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653

I've got one in my N800 and it seems to work fine. I did have to format it in another computer, however.

Originally Posted by NokNok770 View Post
There's a sd card on woot.com for 24.99. Does anyone have this card and if it works on the n800? Hurry...anyone?

Connect3D 4GB Secure Digital Memory Card
$24.99
Got mine from woot delivered last week and works perfect. One in the internal and one in the external. Happy Customer.

Just another satisfied customer, just put in my second 8GB Transcend memory card. Both cards running great. Pulled them out of the package, put them in the slot (s) and they worked. When looking at the details there appears to be 7.5GB available.

Sorry, left out the obligatory ...and yes, these are the the SDHC and yes I did the firmware upgrade and the kernel patch.

Yeah...wish somone would have let me know that day. Woot doesn't exactly wait around long Oh well...I still got space on my 2gig kingston and 1 gig sandisk card that I got since my 770. I gave one of the 1gig and the 770 to my girlfriend, but all she does with it is play mahjong.
"less is like more but better"