Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by tso View Post
imo, nokia has pretty much discontinued the N800 already...
Yes, but what i ment was if Nokia would still provide software updates for the current N8xx models even after the releas of OS2009 for the N900, much like how Nokia provided software updates for the N800 even after the N810 came out. The reason why i am asking this question is because ever since i got my tablet, i've noticed a cycle. for every 2 years Nokia provided software updates for each model. The N770 had OS2005 and OS2006, the N800 had OS2007 and OS2008. But the N810 has only had OS2008. The reason i am asking this is because both the N800 and N810 have the same type of prosesor, chipset, camera and, wifi/bluetooth, with an exception of the keyboard and gps module. What i am trying to say is that wouldnt it make more since that the N810 would get OS2009?, since it has only seen OS2008?, and if so, why not give the N800 a software update also, since thay both share the same basic hardware.

That's what i am trying to ask...
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-10-26 at 19:02.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
It makes sense for Nokia to discontinue manufacture of the N800 because it has the N810 for a replacement. N800 availability also wasn't cut off when the N810 was released. The N800 has however not been abandoned from a software perspective. Your N800 like last years PC has still grow in capability as new software is written. It has certainly benefited from the OS development that's part of the N810. I think the big question for existing users is will the "N900" be a fork or will the N8x0 community continue to benefit from the OS and application development associated with this SIM based product. It is in Nokia's best interest to continue to leverage the software developed by the Maemo community.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I think the big question for existing users is will the "N900" be a fork or will the N8x0 community continue to benefit from the OS and application development associated with this SIM based product. It is in Nokia's best interest to continue to leverage the software developed by the Maemo community.
That's exactly what i am trying to ask. How will this effect current owners of the N8xx models.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the N800 got continued support as the N810 was basically the same internally except for a added keyboard and GPS (and sometimes the N800 will think it has a keyboard as well ).

the N900 will probably have a different internal setup, and supporting two different devices will add overhead.

also, fremantle seems to include eyecandy that will require a working GPU, something the N8X0 cant provide thanks to lack of drivers...

From that conclusion, it looks like a lot of people are going to need to upgrade to the new tablets or thay are going to be stuck with an outdated os much like how owners of the N770 are currently. .....unless someone creates a OS2009HE for the N8XX.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
On N810 we had 2 SSU updates thus far.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
From that conclusion, it looks like a lot of people are going to need to upgrade to the new tablets or thay are going to be stuck with an outdated os much like how owners of the N770 are currently.
No, Nokia would never do that again...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Could somebody tell me honestly why we NEED new hardware to produce good quality software?

Good software should scale from the device it was designed for UPWARDS into anything else.

If we continue to just create software as if it was a desktop we will be unhappy with the performance, even on the new device I do not expect to be running glitzy glamerous highly animated 3d programs for hours - it will just eat the battery.

I expect to be able to run lots of simple applications quickly and smoothly, but then when i need to use a bigger app I still can and the extra horsepower will come through.

If we design software to maximize what we have we win on both fronts with shiny FAST software on both our old and our new hardware with extra battery life to boot.

I don't want to be back here in 2 years talking about how crappy and slow fremantle stuff is, I want to be running Maemo software on any compatible device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Because hardware becomes cheaper and cheaper, and newer/faster interfaces exist. Look at new features in smartphones past years.

Nokia orders to make X devices and they must sell as quickly as possible before their value decreases. So they add new versions and features and compete on price & features.

We also want some kind of compatibility. Thats why many people run a GUI browser such as Mozilla Firefox instead of the latest Lynx. Yet, on the NIT, MicroB eats resources for breakfast. As does Fennec. So yes, we could use more resources.

Interfaces need to be designed with touchscreen in mind, and performance as well. But if the option is either no compatibility or some slow, half-baked desktop port what would you pick? In the end, a better program wins the market share.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
If one looks at Linux on the desktop we see that it is clearly possible to maintain some backward compatibility. As in Ubuntu being Gnome Metacity based with an option for Compiz 3D if the hardware, GPU, supports it. It's very feasible as long as they continue to use an ARM CPU which is likely. Nokia may choose the hardware components but the open source community is very much predisposed to backward compatibility. The Linux kernel architecture makes this very achievable. Guess and hope we can while expressing the customer perspective but time will tell.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1