Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Hey TMO, Shaun from Everything N9 here. Just thought I'd share with you something that I posted on EverythingN9, and many users found great benefit with it. I had many requests to post it here too, so hopefully some of you may like this.

It's a modified keyboard for the Nokia N9, which addresses many of the weak points of the stock keyboard, included wasted space, wasted symbols, and always tapping that damned full stop when trying to tap space. Some of the other things include arrows, an intelligent position for the apostrophe, and quite a bit more.

Pics are worth 1000 words.

Letters page:

First symbols page:

Second symbols page:

Keyboard is not for everyone, I made it for myself, but some may not like the spacebar position nor numbers. Thats ok, your opinion

Full instructions, download link, and a bit more detail are on EverythingN9 at the link below.

http://everythingn9.com/redesigned-k...r-the-nokia-n/

Of course, let me know how to make this better if you have constructive feedback.

Last edited by Storm_11; 2012-12-13 at 11:05.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Awesome work, thanks a lot! Have you investigated the cause of the bug you mentioned in the original post (arrow keys in messaging app)?

Packaging infrastructure in case you need it:

https://github.com/harmattan/keyboard-mod-everythingn9

Prebuilt package: keyboard-mod-everythingn9_1.0.0_all.deb

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Thanks thp, appreciated. I'm more of a hacker of code than a programmer, and haven't been able to set up Scratchbox when I tried to compile the Deb as scratchbox kept going down when I tried.

I haven't done too much investigation, but in general the messaging app and arrows dont work. On my keyboard, it creates a square icon when you press it. On the N950 (apparently), and on my own bluetooth keyboard, the cursor moves, but as soon as you type, it puts the characters at the end of the line.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Nice, like the arrow keys and numeric layout, but - no quotation marks?

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Nice, like the arrow keys and numeric layout, but - no quotation marks?
makes sense to have them on the first page, so as though you're doing a quote. As explained on the everythingn9 post, tap and hold the apostrophe key. That gets you your quotation marks

Thanks, just one point. You can also place them in /home/user/.config/meego-keyboard/layouts/

This way you don't need to change to root. I believe that this way you also don't lose them if the firmware is ever updated (one can always dream).

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Great work. Thanks

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Cape Town,South Africa
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Awesome work, thanks a lot! Have you investigated the cause of the bug you mentioned in the original post (arrow keys in messaging app)?

Packaging infrastructure in case you need it:

https://github.com/harmattan/keyboard-mod-everythingn9

Prebuilt package: keyboard-mod-everythingn9_1.0.0_all.deb
Downloaded and installed prebuilt package but still got the stock keyboard. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot....

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Loepoes View Post
Downloaded and installed prebuilt package but still got the stock keyboard. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot....
After installation you need to select it from Settings->Time and Language->Text Input->Installed input methods

Once selected, you can choose the active keyboard to be of your choice...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Cape Town,South Africa
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
After installation you need to select it from Settings->Time and Language->Text Input->Installed input methods

Once selected, you can choose the active keyboard to be of your choice...
Thanks so much for your valuable info! You have also proved that the dead is very much alive!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Loepoes For This Useful Post: