Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Texas
I’ve been impressed with the N900 reviews and videos thus far and I would love to pull the trigger on my pre-order, but I have several critical questions…

If I decide to go with a data only plan from T-Mobile, what disadvantages are there with only using Skype to make phone calls instead of a voice plan?

Will incoming calls to my Skype phone number appear on the desktop just like an incoming call would on a voice plan?

Will I have to perform an extra step in order to make calls that I wouldn’t otherwise?

If I leave 3G coverage and only have edge speeds will I get poor voice quality or lose multi-tasking capabilities? (ie. Internet browser?)

I realize that some of these question may not be answerable until the release of the N900 in October, but maybe some of you can share your experiences from using Skype on previous internet tablets.

Thank you for your help!

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by bronzetank View Post
If I leave 3G coverage and only have edge speeds will I get poor voice quality or lose multi-tasking capabilities? (ie. Internet browser?)
if you leave 3g coverage expect a very poor connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
It could be a feasible solution if you have access to wi-fi in the areas you plan on using Skype the most.

Even then, Skype was somewhat unstable on my n800. Okay for short calls, but I was more likely to run into trouble the longer the call lasted (but that could also have something to do with wi-fi connection quality, too). I would think twice about using it for important business conference calls, etc. But with that being said, maybe the experience will be better on the n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
I’ve been impressed with the N900 reviews and videos thus far and I would love to pull the trigger on my pre-order, but I have several critical questions…

If I decide to go with a data only plan from T-Mobile, what disadvantages are there with only using Skype to make phone calls instead of a voice plan?

Will incoming calls to my Skype phone number appear on the desktop just like an incoming call would on a voice plan?

Will I have to perform an extra step in order to make calls that I wouldn’t otherwise?

I realize that some of these question may not be answerable until the release of the N900 in October, but maybe some of you can share your experiences from using Skype on previous internet tablets.

Thank you for your help!
well the T-Mobile data plan is already 59.99 with 5GB cap.
39.99 you get 600 anytime minutes with free nights and weekends, add 19.99 unlimited TXT and Web brings it to 59.98.
look you are paying the same price but in latter you get txt and voice plan from carrier no need to worry about making calls or recieving calls when not in great coverage for 3G and if you want to save minutes use skype while on 3G and use your voice minutes just for emergency.
edit: if you get the plan 19.99 you get the web which is said to be unlimited but has a cap of 10GB which is still better than 5GB isnt it?

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
In the UK, T-Mo's terms & conds only allow voip/skype on the most expensive data plan.

ok now its getting confusing is he talking about T-Mo UK or US?

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Texas
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am in the US. But I appreciate the international input.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am in the US. But I appreciate the international input.
The reply that I had posted was for the Tmobile USA, I do not know about the UK pricing.

No probs. I was just highlighting the differences between plans.
Each of the three unlimited plans here have different limits on the amount and type of usage. You probably have similar limits on your side of the pond.
It's worthwhile checking the small print when pricing up - or you can run the risk that they likely can't actually detect what you are using.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I successfully made Gtalk, Skype and SIP calls over tethered 3G and edge on my N810 but as someone before said I wouldn't place a business call over that EDGE data connection as its prone to be choppy and unreliable.

What I really wish I could do is get the SideKick prepaid plan which is just a dollar a day for unlimited web and text and then you pay per minute for phone calls. That way when in wifi and 3G I could just use SIP and then if I needed to I could make regular phone calls.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post: