Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What are you doing on a forum about the N900, then?
I came here when it was ITT with a 770 in hand and curious as to what all else it could do. Next came the N800, then N810. I purchased three N900's but they did not do half of what I needed at that time...

Helped source N9's for folks here (and myself) and loved Harmattan. Stuck around for Sailfish. Now hoping folks like locusf and Stskeeps come out with whatever I will build, make or buy next.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Nothing beats this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54QuFYFAjQY
Sry for ranting but this video always makes me frustrated. To figure that we're in 2016 and the usefulness of phones is way way worse than it was in 2009 (n900 in particular), it blows my mind. It's like WTF happened? :/

The Following User Says Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Sry for ranting but this video always makes me frustrated. To figure that we're in 2016 and the usefulness of phones is way way worse than it was in 2009 (n900 in particular), it blows my mind. It's like WTF happened?
The masses spoke (with their buying power). They wanted convenience and not capability.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The masses spoke (with their buying power). They wanted convenience and not capability.
I fear you are right but I am sure tbere is a market for capability too.
The trouble is that capability is not on the market. The manufacturers wanted cinvenience too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I fear you are right but I am sure tbere is a market for capability too.
With a very jaded position; I have to disagree somewhat. Capability is already there... always has been. Capability (read: power for informed users) has never gone away. It's just that it's that small of a market and folks are not buying into that in large enough numbers and remain fractured. That's where I disagree; folks just do not buy into those markets - they remain fringe users and thus minimal impact.

The trouble is that capability is not on the market. The manufacturers wanted cinvenience too.
I think you just nailed it. It's easy to market something that does what you want and do it easily. It's harder to support those things that do whatever you'd want but you have to leverage logic, understanding, research and of course, intelligence versus profits.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-03-09 at 20:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Nothing beats this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54QuFYFAjQY

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxkia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Originally Posted by Foxkia View Post
http://i.hizliresim.com/BPmZY9.gif
I see what you did there

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi guyz, what about Neo900 ? How is it going ? I still have my N900, I was so excited about the project, but now, no news ? The N900 is still a good phone i use sometimes.

By the way, it's been a long time (about two years) that i did not flashed it, I'm looking for a way to save my messages (maybe in a way i could access them from a computer or flash - copy them back to the N900), any way would be great.

Second request, as Opera link closed their service, does someone know a way to copy the settings from opera (in the N900) so that i could copy them back when i flash the phone (or even a way to copy them inside opera browser on the PC - speed dials, notes, bookmarks)

So that's it, a way to save my messages and the opera settings.

Apart from that, the N900 is still great as a phone, and i use it since 2010, I've been through all problems: screen, usb, now dead speakers, but it still rocks, especially the keyboard, i don't know why phones with keyboards do not exist anymore.

You guyz keep on make this forum alive.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Not a fan. And about the N900... no longer a fan of that either.
Well many of us are. I daydream about a 7-inch tablet with Maemo from the N900 on it. I don't use the N900 due to the browsers being so bad, but that OS is so so good.

Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Well many of us are. I daydream about a 7-inch tablet with Maemo from the N900 on it. I don't use the N900 due to the browsers being so bad, but that OS is so so good.
I didn't say that you or others were not a fan.

Maemo has never been ported to any other device that it was not intended for in retail or otherwise. I have no faith that will happen this many years later despite the talent that surrounds us here at TMO.

I think Maemo 5 would be an UX nightmare on anything bigger than 5 inches. Too many controls are in the corners. But I do agree. Maemo 5 was a good OS, almost great. Too bad it also hit a dead end on the N900 and had so many "WONTFIX" issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
intel, meego, samsung, tizen