Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Provided you've updated both on the Lumia and the N9, they get their map data from the exact same source so _should_ be the same.

If you've not updated your N9 maps in a while, perhaps that's why you're noticing a difference.
Sadly no, the map format used in symbian and meego is an old format, and it seems Nokia Here division is not going to update those maps anymore.
basically the version of the nokia offline maps we have today on our N9 is what we will have also in 10 years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
It's very frustrating when Nokia said software support for Symbian and Meego would continue until 2016. How hard is it to push us updated map information? Honestly?

I bounce back and forth between admiring Nokia and their products and then hating them, and right now it's the latter. Once Sailfish is ready to install on Android, I'll be picking up a compatible handset and retiring my N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
It's very frustrating when Nokia said software support for Symbian and Meego would continue until 2016. How hard is it to push us updated map information? Honestly?

I bounce back and forth between admiring Nokia and their products and then hating them, and right now it's the latter. Once Sailfish is ready to install on Android, I'll be picking up a compatible handset and retiring my N9.
I feel the exact same way. Hoping I can get sailfish on a red nexus 5. I feel with nokias current attitude towards products, they would make a horrible political party.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Provided you've updated both on the Lumia and the N9, they get their map data from the exact same source so _should_ be the same.

If you've not updated your N9 maps in a while, perhaps that's why you're noticing a difference.
Here maps have better resolution in satellite view than the maps that installed on Nokia N9 which have very poor resolution even on low zoom. That's for my country, IQ.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
My support request regarding best time of migration Maps Favorites from yesterday - very quick service from (Nokia) HERE Deutschland GmbH, Invalidenstrasse 116, 10115 Berlin, Germany (Service Berlin based, all in German)
  • from Nokia (Maps) account
  • to new Here Account (one way/time migration)
Question:
Was ist der beste Zeitpunkt vom Nokia Konto auf ein Here-Konto umzustellen, wenn ich meine FAvoriten/Sammlungen weiter mit meinen Nokia Maps auf meinem Nokia N9 synchronisieren will?

Werde ich später in der Lage sein, direkt vom Gerät N9 oder über die Nokia Suite neue Karten in das alte Nokia Maps Programm zu laden, wird es gar eine aktualisiertes Here-Maps für MeeGo geben, falls nicht werden die Quellen/API offengelegt damit sich die Community selbst behelfen kann?

Answer:
Was die Umstellung vom Nokia auf das HERE Konto angeht würde ich Ihnen empfehlen, dies sobald wie möglich zu machen, da das Nokia Konto recht bald abgeschaltet wird (genauer Zeitpunkt ist mir leider nicht bekannt) und es dann keine Möglichkeit zum Backup / zur Synchronisation mehr geben wird. Allerdings können Sie, wie Sie bereits sagen, Ihre Favoriten dann nicht mehr mit Ihrem Telefon synchronisieren. Sie können weiterhin neue Favoriten auf dem Telefon (lokal) hinzufügen, aber diese werden, wie gesagt, nicht mehr synchronisiert.

Ein Update für HERE Maps auf MeeGo wird es mit an Sicherheit grenzender Wahrscheinlichkeit nicht mehr geben (man weiß nie…), ob die Quellen bzw. API offengelegt werden kann ich Ihnen nicht sagen.
Summary/advise:
  • Migrate your maps data in Nokia cloud asap/right now.
  • no synchronisation of maps favourites any more
  • neither fresh maps nor Maps app Update for MeeGo planned
  • open API or sources unknown
  • Hope is the last to die (man weiß nie…)

Seems Here Maps synchronisation presently only provided for iOS, Android and WP.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeadHorseRiding For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA

We all are. The question is which Nokia, Nokia Devices and Services (now Microsoft Mobile), the one owned by Microsoft now. That should provide support to the Nokia phones, but then Here Maps (or the Nokia Maps) does not come under Microsoft. It is owned by Nokia Corporations. Therefore you should not expect any updates.

But, as I read somewhere, you are getting the Map updates on N9 because Here agreed to provide the updates as part of the acquisition until 2016 to all Microsoft Mobile owned devices. That includes the Lumia phones, N9, X-series phones, Asha and Symbian phones. You won't be seeing the Map apps on Lumia devices after that pre-installed. And after that it is upto Nokia to decide whether to give any support to Symbian and MeeGo. And sadly, I don't believe they will. Because no one does after an OS goes defunct.

The Following User Says Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
@princefakhan you'll notice that post of mine is now about a year old. Of course at this stage I'm not expecting a single update of any kind from Microsoft Mobile. I was frustrated then, but I'm not anymore. No point. Pre-Microsoft acquisition Nokia is dead. RIP, bye Felicia, etc.

I think that although Nokia's HERE team has taken over responsibility for support of Nokia Maps and Drive for Symbian/Meego, they have not kept those services updated. Maybe I'm wrong but I still think it wouldn't be that difficult for them to push the updated maps to those services, but at this point I understand why they aren't. Although it would delight more than a few people if they did...

The Following User Says Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
@princefakhan you'll notice that post of mine is now about a year old. Of course at this stage I'm not expecting a single update of any kind from Microsoft Mobile. I was frustrated then, but I'm not anymore. No point. Pre-Microsoft acquisition Nokia is dead. RIP, bye Felicia, etc.
:P. I didn't actually see the timestamp.

I think that although Nokia's HERE team has taken over responsibility for support of Nokia Maps and Drive for Symbian/Meego, they have not kept those services updated. Maybe I'm wrong but I still think it wouldn't be that difficult for them to push the updated maps to those services, but at this point I understand why they aren't. Although it would delight more than a few people if they did...
I am with you on that one. I don't have a MeeGo or Symbian phone right now. Though I recieved some critical updates in Early 2014. I had a Nokia 808 PV. But they were not updated Maps as you say. And I think, for that, HERE team will have to give actual support. By actual support I mean that they update the Map engine on these devices and give us Here Maps and Drive like they did on Lumia devices. I don't call this Nokia supporting these devices till 2016.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
It's very frustrating when Nokia said software support for Symbian and Meego would continue until 2016....
Once Sailfish is ready to install on Android, I'll be picking up a compatible handset and retiring my N9.
Interesting to compare raising here maps on iOS and old Nokia maps on N9.

In here offline maps Asia is without complete China, on N9 the old download.

Online search in maps on N9 found a special restaurant near Munich by name, heremaps on same time and same location nothing.

On apple only one here app, on N9 the 3 apps maps, drives, transport beta for trains and busses.

Originally Posted by DeadHorseRiding View Post
Interesting to compare raising here maps on iOS and old Nokia maps on N9.

In here offline maps Asia is without complete China, on N9 the old download.

Online search in maps on N9 found a special restaurant near Munich by name, heremaps on same time and same location nothing.

On apple only one here app, on N9 the 3 apps maps, drives, transport beta for trains and busses.
That is great. Though everyone knows the iOS version sucks the most. But hey! those poor guys still got a good maps client after what happened with G Maps.