Hey all,

After I ported cron (and crontab), I wrote a small program, which works well with cron, that automatically connects to a WIFI access point and executes any given command (see the "cron anyone?" thread in the General forums). In any case, does anyone have any further suggestions for programs to add to this list of programs, ultimately to be combined into a sort of "suite" of programs (re: the title of this post)?

Please be gentle, I am a very slow programmer

And now on to registration attempt #2 at the garage (they did not accept cron!)...

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
How about a port os SVN?

*don't clobber me* What is SVN? (Subversion?)

... and I only have time for small projects

The subversion client would be a very easy port, I just can't think of any major uses for it

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by convulted View Post
And now on to registration attempt #2 at the garage (they did not accept cron!)...
I'd be happy to see a patch in the mud-builder patch tracker, I had to reject your request to join the project as that wasn't quite the right button to press. Unfortunately I couldn't send a note with the rejection, so I guessed at sending an email to your garage account.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

I think convulted was asking about suggestions for scripts to run at predetermined intervals from cron, not a general "what do you want ported to the internet tablet" request. I could be wrong.

I think a script that plays a given audio file at a certain time might be useful as an alarm clock or scheduling reminder. Although I wouldn't want to have to edit my crontab manually to change the time.

If there's a port of slocate for the tablets, it could run updatedb every once in a while. I have trouble finding files sometimes (and not just on the mmc card).

If canola / kontorris / etc media players have command-line options to scan the removable cards to search for media files, this could be a cron job run in the middle of the night so that the startup times for these programs would be minimal.

ooo. And obscura / gqview thumbnail creation would be a good thing to run in the middle of the night, too.

Refreshing the package list nightly or weekly for the application manager with "apt-get update" would be nice, too.

aflegg: I need to learn how to create patch files first. Will submit ASAP. However the whole thing (excluding cron) could end up becoming a project in its own right, after I give it a UI if necessary. A UI for cron might prove useful too. Is there some application I can port/copy that does this?

mzandrew: I am open to any suggestions, preferably those that are related to Internet and connectivity; e.g.: updating feeds, or mail, or wget'ting the google homepage every hour -- as well as other stuff that is notnecessarily scriptable. And canola has a canola-conf-rescan.sh script (just type canola-conf-rescan.sh from any directory) that performs that exact function

Hope that my stuff will come in handy to at least one other person

Does that "Daily Pluck" Python script run on the tablet? It takes RSS feeds and converts them for FBReader. And downloading podcasts would be good. The tablet would be ready every morning with your reading and listening, regardless of if you have net access during your day.

Alternatively a script to just copy files from a local PC (e.g. the PC downloads the podcasts, makes the FBReader PDB files, etc. then the tablet grabs the files).

Maybe an rsync backup or PIM synchronization.

If anyone wants to mess around with the utilities before I get time to, here they are:
http://www.anomaly-music.com/cron/ and
http://www.anomaly-music.com/crun/crun <- copy this to /usr/bin/
Syntax for crun is: crun <prog/script> [<args>]

Enjoy!