Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
Its a huge longshot, but I was wondering if One Must Fall 2047 could run playably on dosbox on the tablets? Bit of an OMF fanboy, have the original cd, a signed copy of OMF:BG, and a signed poster from OMF:BG too... *misses the days of the bg beta but decides to stop getting off topic*
On the 770 i was getting about 1 fps for OMF 2047. Maybe if you could slow your brain down 30x it would be fun?

I know I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to Linux so excuse me if this is a stupid question but...

I have managed to download and install xkbd , 'Run application system monitor' and DosBox .

If I start DosBox , the run application system monitor icon disappears from the system tray , if I then minimize DosBox , the Nokia freezes so I can't start xkbd . If I start xkbd , no commands are received by any other program until xkbd is closed , so I can't then start DosBox .

How do I make both run together ? I have tried entering the command /home/user/dos/dosbox --conf dosbox.conf ; xkbd in the 'Run box' but that doesn't seem to work .

I am also struggling to get my configuration file to load , I have edited it on my Mac to load the program I want to run ( the Psion Series 3a emulator ) but it seems to not be recognised , still if I can't get the keyboard to load I can't go any further any way .

Sorry if this is a dumb question ... I am sure there is an easy way - if I only knew what that was .

Yet another silly question - Where are the commands for the 'Run Box' stored ? I have a number of failed attempts on the menu , but I can't see how to get rid of them ...

Last edited by mkstevo; 2007-08-27 at 20:46. Reason: Added another daft question...

Well following my previous post , I have figured out how to run both xkbd and DosBox from the same command ( xkbd | /home/user/dosbox --conf /home/user/psion.conf ) however , typing that command into the 'Run box' provided by Load-Applet-Run doesn't work as I expected . It fails to load the configuration file ( psion.conf ) even entering the command with no config file specified fails to load the default config file ( dosbox.conf ) despite it being stored in the same directory as the dosbox application .

After many wasted hours , I found that issuing the same command in xterm did work as expected , and I was finally able to load dosbox , and the Psion Series 3a emulator . If only that was the end of it . I could only get the emulator to load successfully one in every three launches , one attempt might fail with no catastrophe , one would fail locking the entire machine ( Nokia 770 ) leading me to need to pull the battery out to reset it , and one would work correctly .

None of this would have been too bad , but ... In order to control the Applications and the emulated Psion Series 3a itself menu shortcuts are issued by means of the Psion key ( on an original Psion machine ) or the Alt key on an emulated Series 3a , in combination with a letter . So the install command is Psion+I ( Alt+I ) , the exit command is Psion+X ( Alt+X ) . xkbd does not seem to handle this type of input correctly , whether 'Scancodes' is set to true or false ( in the DosBox config file ) . This would not be too much of a problem if xkbd was able to supply the function keys ( F1 , F2 , F3 etc. ) as it would then be possible to work through the menu system using the cursor keys , initiating the menu with F9 .

I know , I could have edited the xkbd layout file , and altered it to provide the 'F' keys ... But then I would have needed to figure out the correct command protocol to launch my layout , and it was 2.30am with me needing to be up at 6.30am for work ... So I deleted the lot , and have given up for now . Perhaps a cleverer person than I will have the inspiration to get this all working together , the Psion Series 3a emulator will run on the Nokia , it probably only needs polishing up a little , sadly I don't understand enough about Linux to do that polishing . Should anyone else have managed to figure all this out , please get in touch .

Originally Posted by mkstevo View Post
I could have edited the xkbd layout file , and altered it to provide the 'F' keys ... But then I would have needed to figure out the correct command protocol to launch my layout , and it was 2.30am with me needing to be up at 6.30am for work ... So I deleted the lot , and have given up for now . Perhaps a cleverer person than I will have the inspiration to get this all working together , the Psion Series 3a emulator will run on the Nokia , it probably only needs polishing up a little , sadly I don't understand enough about Linux to do that polishing . Should anyone else have managed to figure all this out , please get in touch .
The xkbd layout file is pretty simple to edit, but i haven't seen examples with Function Keys in em.

Try substituting F11 for 'm' in the config file and see if you can hit an F11

It took me about an hour or two of tweaking to make my custom xkbd layout files.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The xkbd layout file is pretty simple to edit, but i haven't seen examples with Function Keys in em.

Try substituting F11 for 'm' in the config file and see if you can hit an F11

It took me about an hour or two of tweaking to make my custom xkbd layout files.

Thanks for your suggestion . Once I have altered the layout file , how do I then load it ? It is working this sort of thing out that takes me so long .

Assuming my keyboard layout is on the mmc I imagine that I would need to issue the following command :
xkbd -k /media/mmc1/keyboardfolder/mykeyfile.xkbd | /home/user/dos/dosbox

I thought ( but could be wrong ) I saw in another thread that you have some experience with bochs on the 770 , is that any more stable than DosBox ? I was going to give it a try but realised that I would probably still need xkbd and a modified layout file , and so I gave it a miss ...

Sorry , I really don't understand Linux , this is my first 'real' Linux device apart from my Mac and HiFidelio , both of those have managed to 'hide' the Linux part of their OS fairly well , and I rarely need to venture into command line territory . I'd like to get the Psion Series 3a emulator to run though , as I wrote some useful ( to me ) applications for it that would come in very handy to have on a daily basis , hence the reason I want to master this .

Thanks for your reply , and thanks to anyone who feels generous enough to lend a hand .

Assuming my keyboard layout is on the mmc I imagine that I would need to issue the following command :
xkbd -k /media/mmc1/keyboardfolder/mykeyfile.xkbd | /home/user/dos/dosbox

I thought ( but could be wrong ) I saw in another thread that you have some experience with bochs on the 770 , is that any more stable than DosBox?
Yep, that should be fine. Xkbd requires a non-fullscreen dosbox for me, so i suggest you disable that in dosbox.con. How is it working for you?

Bochs wouldn't build for me, and i don't think it would run acceptably.

Update: New DosBOX 0.72 with deb package goodness!

Timings for sound emulation seem to be improved. It has a rewritten VGA/EGA core which is giving strange artefacts on the Nokia, so I use Tandy graphics (which are faster anyway).

http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

Give it a go and let me know how it works for you!

Yep, that should be fine. Xkbd requires a non-fullscreen dosbox for me, so i suggest you disable that in dosbox.con. How is it working for you?

Bochs wouldn't build for me, and i don't think it would run acceptably.

Update: New DosBOX 0.72 with deb package goodness!

Timings for sound emulation seem to be improved. It has a rewritten VGA/EGA core which is giving strange artefacts on the Nokia, so I use Tandy graphics (which are faster anyway).

http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

Give it a go and let me know how it works for you!
Hello , and thanks for your advice .
I have modified the keyboard layout for xkbd and have included the function keys as needed , and given them the names as they would be on the Psion Series 3a ( F1=System ... F11=Menu ) so I can now access the menus and other functions . I have however hit a snag , apart from the alphabet keys , none of the 'shifted' keys send the correct values when the shift key is pressed . I thought it might be a problem with the way the shift key worked so included on my keyboard layout a row above the number keys which held the 'shifted' key values , without the need to press the shift key , but the keys still sent the values that would have been present , if they had been the number values . For example : I setup a key with the label of '!' and set to send the character of '!' , but the Psion emulator showed '1' instead . I believe this is due to the way the Psion machine was originally designed to receive keypresses on the original hardware , expecting to scan the keyboard and find the Shift key down , and the 1 key pressed , not to be sent a value of '!' which it knows as the 1 key , and with ( as far as it sees ) no shift key pressed , interprets this as a '1' . As the alphabet keys only go into upper case with the CapsLock on ( not with the shift key ) , I fiddled with the settings of the 'obey CapsLock' value in the keyboard layout , but this has not helped . So for the time being , I've come unstuck ...

I tried Bochs , and got it to run correctly , slow it was ( possibly slower than DosBox ) but it never crashed the 770 once , in all the hours I messed about trying to perfect my keyboard layout . DosBox did literally only work for 33% of the launch attempts , often causing the 770 to need its battery pulling out to enable me to reset it .

I tried Bochs , and got it to run correctly , slow it was ( possibly slower than DosBox ) but it never crashed the 770 once , in all the hours I messed about trying to perfect my keyboard layout . DosBox did literally only work for 33% of the launch attempts , often causing the 770 to need its battery pulling out to enable me to reset it .
Where did you get bochs?

Which dosbox version crashed? On what OS? (2006/2007he)

Be sure to invoke dosbox to load the tweaked dosbox.conf.

what about xkbd - it looks like it doesn't install on the new 2007he os...

Where did you get bochs?

Which dosbox version crashed? On what OS? (2006/2007he)

Be sure to invoke dosbox to load the tweaked dosbox.conf.
I thought I downloaded Bochs from the main Bochs site , though I could be wrong there . I have a copy of the install should you want it .

I was trying DosBox on my 770 , with the ( factory installed ) 2006 s/w , the version of DosBox was 0.6xx , the version prior to your most recent release ( sorry I can't be more specific I don't have it loaded any more ) .

I eventually did get DosBox to load my .conf file , this was a slightly modified version of your example provided with the install , altered to provide the required M: drive that the Psion emulator needs in order to run correctly . As I said , launching it was rather hit and miss - with more miss than hit . It may well be my Linux ignorance that caused my problems , I'll be happy to admit that my knowledge of Linux is no more than 0.1%...of nothing !