Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, symbian has a built in limitation, so even if the wifi chip can go master, it cant...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Oops, I think its ad-hoc. But still.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
indeed. hell, it may even be that this will be or has been fixed, now that nokia seems to have made a new version of S60, S60v5 or something...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The NIT cannot be a hotspot because it cannot be put in master mode (AP mode).
Is this a limitation of the driver? Perhaps something that will be overcome if the open source driver becomes mature enough? (I say "if" because after the original code dump of "alpha-quality" code, there has been nothing more done).

Looking more at the slideshow and webpage, it looks like the driver doesn't even support ad-hoc mode, let alone AP mode...

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but I have some insights. I know that USB WiFi sticks often (never?) don't support master/ap mode. The Ralink driver for Linux was recently updated to include master/ap mode (not backported into kernel yet and requires SVN hostapd). The same is true for ZyDAS 1211. Based on Ubuntu WifiDocs/MasterMode it appears its always a driver problem.

I think the new open source driver further work might be up to the community. Think about it, N900 is coming, if we don't want to stick with Linux 2.6.21 then we're now free (and able) to develop a HE.

The framework used by the new driver is the new wireless stack in Linux 2.6.24, called Mac80211. Mac80211 doesn't support ap/master mode yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is this a limitation of the driver? Perhaps something that will be overcome if the open source driver becomes mature enough? (I say "if" because after the original code dump of "alpha-quality" code, there has been nothing more done).
C'mon now, it's just one person, and it's only been a short time. Driver development doesn't happen overnight. Tell me, would you prefer that they had waited another 6-8 months to release a stable, full-featured driver and not have bothered to involve the community at all? Besides, there's certainly been activity on the mailing list.

Now that it is open, the community is more than able to contribute to the development. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
PIM on the IT looking at Nokia as it sits currently would be:
- Ovi
- Browser with offline capabilities
- Widgets for the homescreen
- one touch syncing to Ovi for IT and mobile phone

Don't think about PIM being so disconnected from everything else Nokia is doing, you'll miss the point of a device from a services company where the Internet is ubquious
Ahem

Sorry to dig up something old, but I've got a stick in hand that says told ya somewhere aronud here.