Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by Reggie
I was wondering what kind of multitasking does the OS support (preemptive, cooperative, or no support)? Can two or more programs run at the same time? Can it run a cron job at the background, while say watching a video or surfing the web?

Thanks.
Slightly OT, but it's also multi-user.. (as in at the same time.)

Last edited by putkowski; 2006-01-17 at 23:56.

LVBTKB:

None of you will convince me the OS on this 770 can do more than one thing at once. Not until Opera stops going *poof* on me. Not until bloody Notes stops freezing and stuttering. Multi? It's taxed at *single*! Sorry, Nokia! My experience so far!

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-01-18 at 00:34. Reason: typo, what else?

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
LVBTKB:

None of you will convince me the OS on this 770 can do more than one thing at once. Not until Opera stops going *poof* on me. Not until bloody Notes stops freezing and stuttering. Multi? It's taxed at *single*! Sorry, Nokia! My experience so far!
Actually,

I use WinSCP to browse and change configuration files while I am also logged-in as root via ssh from a debian machine and my newsreader (tied to news.google.com rss feeds) updates.

The only inconvenience so far is having to open (ONE OF THE TWO) connection manager icons to start a WLAN connection.. if I don't, the first time all "browser" windows close, the connection is dropped.

Sorry about Notes.

P

I am not sarcastic in congratulating your being Live Via Blue Tooth Keyboard.

LVTT:

You see, the average user is not only not going to be able to do what you're doing, they won't understand what you've just written. I barely do!

For me, Opera stopped locking up,for the most part, with the now OS flash.
I normally am browsing two Opera windows while streaming mp3s over slimserver. Thats multitasking, in my book. Now, I find that the memory bar stays a little less in the red if I only have slimserver running from the Internet Radio link, and keep Audio Player closed.
Anyone know why that would be?

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
LVTT:

You see, the average user is not only not going to be able to do what you're doing, they won't understand what you've just written. I barely do!
My point is that the average user probably wouldn't have a reason to do the more complicated things the 770 is capable of, but even an average user can make the device more useful by understanding something of Xterm commands and the fact that they can change some simple text files to make the 770 more practical.

Some people just seem to feel soiled if they have to type a command instead of clicking an icon but I think it's worth the effort: I can easily browse and edit the configuration files on the 770 from the comfort of a graphical program running on my XP pc. (or from linux.) This only took installing three packages and entering four commands in Xterm (and one of them was that dogged "sudo gainroot")

P

Originally Posted by putkowski
This only took installing three packages and entering four commands in Xterm (and one of them was that dogged "sudo gainroot")
"Only."

It is to laugh.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Perhaps, Mike, you could list some detailed requirements which you think you need to be able to do some of the complicated stuff?

An Application Installer packaged GUI tool, but to do what?

Enabling swap, playing around with gconf - at the moment, this is techies determining the limits of the device and what potential user-friendly, user-interesting things might be in there.

If we can identify those, third party developers could perhaps start meeting those requirements...

Cheers,

Andrew

LVTT:

Andrew:

Before moving onto special stuff, the 770 still needs to get the basics fixed^(a):

1) No freezes in Notes

2) ebay browsing with multiple windows from an open Favorites page

3) Opera not going *poof* (as it just did when I first tried to reply!)

All you Linux weightlifters can have your XTerm fun. I'm happy for you. I want the GUIed side to be as much fun. Without weightlifting.

--edited to add:

(a) These are just 3, not the whole list, which also includes better keyboard support, etc.

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-01-21 at 19:25.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Yeah, but we can't fix (1), (2) or (3). Nokia can, but they know these things already (assuming they've been reported through the proper channels, e.g. http://bugs.maemo.org/).

Nothing really wrong with keyboard support, AFAICS. However, I mean what can *we* - as third party developers do?

For example, someone mentions doing something techy through XTerm and you explain how this isn't suitable for end-users. Correct - as I said, it's techy exploration. The GUI side will never be as much "fun", for the same reason playing Elite or watching Apollo 13 isn't as much fun as actually going into space ;-)

However, if you've seen something described techily which you think a non-XTerm-using person would like to use, let's get down to some specifics and see if we can't make them more user-friendly.

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-01-21 at 21:21. Reason: Fix URL from broken auto-formatting