Active Topics

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Agree that would be a convenient solution,
and if only this Fennec would give us the option to open web pages in new window instead of trying to imitate a desktop browser with tabbed interface.
Or has this been fixed already? The big Fennec annoyances are this one and the slow responsiveness (not render speed).
Well actually the tabs in dolphin browser on android are just like the desktop FF browser and are just as usable the only trade off is that you have to be at the top of the web page to see the tabs and flick through. Not a bad trade off for a full screen browser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnOI0QY4ZwU
at 1:40 you'll see him switch tabs but you see the tabs right away at 9s.
I have a faster phone than that one. Mine is a dual core lg g2x and it's fast even on stock android I haven't flashed CM7 from the nightlies here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...08201&page=142
or flashed an oc/uv kernal to overclock the cpu yet.
Some guys are getting 5960 quadrant score on this phone. Compare that with the 3500 the SGS2 gets right out of the box.
We were only getting 26 27 right out the box until cyanogen mods came around.
I like watching the nightly commits
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=p999
I hope we have something for meego like this so we can see progress being made it's a useful tool you can see how the forum refers to the commits to answer others questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
He says here it requires a switch behind the Micro Usb port that's it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtwTcnR0hqA
Just had a chance to watch this, so damn cool...
Apparently in the summer there's many more phones coming with it built-in.
He says they have 7 phones in testing right now (n.b. the vid's from Feb), but he's not allowed to mention makes/models.
Nothing mentioned on their site that I can see, I've emailed them, they'll prolly just say ask Nokia.
Please let there be MHL via 3.5mm* or mUSB or the possibility to "hack it in" later Nokia.**
Don't hold your breathe anyone, but no harm in dreaming

*of course if implemented via 3.5mm, it'd be more limited than mUSB in functionality.
**If they're already a licensee, gradually implementing it after the N9's release, may not be an impossibility.
So long as the boss is cool with employees doing it on company time. Extremely wishful

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-30 at 17:02.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
*of course if implemented via 3.5mm, it'd be more limited than mUSB in functionality.
Why? In what way? Oh, right, #2 (or did you mean something else)

Two reasons not to expect MHL:
  • it's not free (as in beer) so someone has to pay a license fee (see #11)
  • the MHL spec talks about the connection charging the device; I'm not sure if that's optional or required, but I'm pretty sure you can't charge an N9 via its 3.5mm jack

Reminder: I'd be almost as pleased to see true HD output from an N9 as you; I'm not trashing the idea, just trying to keep expectations realistically low

Edit: removed potentially-confusing reference to HDMI. I wasn't referring to MHL as HDMI (see several previous posts where I refer to HDMI-via-MHL), but I see why it might have looked that way.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-30 at 16:33.

(1)
Of course it's not free.

(2)
MHL is a protocol (no phy layer), charging is not a requirement of the spec.
Just a feature if you happen to be using mUSB as the medium.

It's not HDMI, stop calling it that! LOL
I've already said it's unlikely (albeit not 100% impossible) & explained why, no false hope here!

If Nokia has been actively working on it, it's seemingly far more likely to be on WP7 phones

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-30 at 16:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
(1)
Of course it's not free.
So in an ideal world, who would you see paying for it?

(2)
MHL is a protocol (no phy layer), charging is not a requirement of the spec.
Just a feature if you happen to be using mUSB as the medium.
Useful; thanks.

It's not HDMI, stop calling it that! LOL
I'm not! But I've edited my post to remove the possibility of confusion.

I've already said it's unlikely (albeit not 100% impossible) & explained why, no false hope here!
Heh, of course not.

If Nokia has been actively working on it, it's seemingly far more likely to be on WP7 phones
Gnaaaarrrrgh

ok, no hdmi i understand ... not so much on the N950 but on the N9 there is an issue there with size.

what ISNT an issue wrt size is DLNA ... i was going to come in this thread and ask that everyone calm down about the HDMI and just stream OTA with DLNA. most consoles/pcs/tvs will have you covered (not as saturated as a fm radio) but should aid for most if not all use cases that need an HDMI onboard.

alas i couldnt find it on the spec page: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ifications/N9/ and that is ashame! all they list is video streaming, so i dont know if it has DLNA ill test that out. but for now this leaves the device below many of its brethren as a one screen device, which is ashame. but its gotta be hackable, DLNA will come if the right ppl get the N950s. either way if it has it and its an oversight by nokia to list it, then there shouldnt be this much crying about the HDMI. the KB was a far greater loss.

Originally Posted by shady View Post
ok, no hdmi i understand ... not so much on the N950 but on the N9 there is an issue there with size.
There needn't have been any issue with size... MHL != HDMI...
It can be defined to run over many phy layers, provided the right characteristics are there.
But for now it's mainly targeted towards mUSB...
It outputs uncompressed HD video "&" audio via mUSB & into the HDMI port of any TV.
It does this with the use of an adapter that comes with every phone that implements MHL.

But as mentioned previously it's not likely (albeit not 100% ruled-out) that they've done or plan to do anything with MHL.
Despite being one of the consortium's original members

what ISNT an issue wrt size is DLNA ... i was going to come in this thread and ask that everyone calm down about the HDMI and just stream OTA with DLNA. most consoles/pcs/tvs will have you covered (not as saturated as a fm radio) but should aid for most if not all use cases that need an HDMI onboard.
Good point, I think it has 5Ghz 802.11n right?
That comes close (although is far from perfect) for reliable "HD" streaming.
I guess DLNA helps make it flawless? (not sure how that'd work)
Otherwise just use USB OTG.....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-30 at 17:45.

Originally Posted by shady View Post

alas i couldnt find it on the spec page: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ifications/N9/ and that is ashame!
N9 does have DLNA. It's just the same situation as we got with the radio on N900.

Originally Posted by Konttori
DLNA stack is there on the device by default, but not in use. We didn’t have the time to make sure it works just perfectly, so we’ll either roll the UIs out later or 3rd parties can enable it very easily. N9 doesn’t have HDMI.
http://nokiagadgets.com/?p=2200
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...6/respect.html

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
yea, so if we have DLNA most, if not ALL (theyre exceptions for a subset) of us can stop complaining about HDMI it is an extremely suitable replacement that reduces the need to carry an extra chord as you travel.

it isnt that serious, for me personally when an exceedingly effeciaent alternative is present. the KB otoh ..looks like a great device and im excited about it, well the OS more than the physical device.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
The N9 is over rated. The E6 is Da Man This is written on my E6

So far my experience with the E6 is an exceptionally cool device for exceptionally cool dudes.

Anyway, the N9 rox

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????