Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I've only just got around to trying the new VPN support in SailfishOS 2.1. I know it's supposed to be beta quality, but I can't import an .ovpn file without it crashing.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck?

I don't use any of the other types of VPN, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried them.

This is not a support request btw, I just think VPN support is an important feature and it's worth discussing it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
I haven't been able to test 2.1 yet, but I had the same issue with importing .ovpn files on SecureFishNet using PrivateInternetAccess default configs. They finally worked when importing the "hardened" configs. I didn't check into it much, but I'll do that this evening.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
I used to use openvpn with securefishnet. it worked pretty good. i tried upgrading to 2.1 on my nexus 4 but it did not work. so i am stuck with 2.0.5.6 version of SFOS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I've only just got around to trying the new VPN support in SailfishOS 2.1. I know it's supposed to be beta quality, but I can't import an .ovpn file without it crashing.

Seems that there's a bug with the .ovpn import feature, but it works fine when manually configured. I've been running it since day one, with no problem at all. So, skip the import feature and try again.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post

I don't use any of the other types of VPN, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried them.

This is not a support request btw, I just think VPN support is an important feature and it's worth discussing it.
You need to setup without including the .ovpn file. In the settings you are then able to set the .ovpn file again. And then: it works though ignoring parameters (like v6 stuff).

More about this (for self-promotion):

https://together.jolla.com/question/...h-the-new-vpn/

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ues-long-post/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well, I can't connect to my Fritzbox via vpnc with the new GUI. Anyone got success with that?

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2017-02-22 at 08:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
More about this (for self-promotion):

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ues-long-post/
Thanks, I read that post of yours before and found it really useful.

Last edited by Feathers McGraw; 2017-07-22 at 22:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.

I'm testing it with my home LAN openvpn server and it connects OK, but produces lots of warning log messages:

@eson: Can you check the logs (at least locally with journalctl) to confirm there are no underlying issues?

Thank you.
Regars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
@eson: Can you check the logs (at least locally with journalctl) to confirm there are no underlying issues?
Well, I can't find any error messages related to vpn in my log but then again, I'm not a log guru so if you could be more specific, I will check again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by eson View Post
Well, I can't find any error messages related to vpn in my log but then again, I'm not a log guru so if you could be more specific, I will check again.
Hi.

Sorry for this late response.

Here's an extract from the log I get in the phone:

Code:
Feb 23 19:02:52 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:02:54 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:02:56 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:02:56 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:02:58 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:03:00 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
Feb 23 19:03:02 Sailfish openvpn[5544]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)
To see it I used the command:
Code:
journalctl -l -f
Executed as root, and then immediately I started the VPN client.

I suspect there are some incompatibilities between my server configuration and Jolla's VPN, which is based in connman and is not very flexible
Regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:

Tags
openvpn, sailfishos, vpn support