what i did very quickly yesterday was use meld to copy some changes from my cordia/mer mce/dsme etc version into a new cssu fork. some stanzas were commented out because i hadn't reworked them for cordia/mer so I left them uncommented as we are now using maemo userland.

as your still using the old hildon-gtk3 port: comment out any mention of hd-bookmarks.c/h and hd-shortcut.c/h in the makefile or whatever the files are called. the hildon elements these use are not in the old port. i tried to message you on irc last night. I didn't apply the fix to the repo to save undoing it later.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
https://github.com/fremantle-gtk3/hi...3c2521fe54b0c5

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
I so want to remove bits from libhildon...

Latest batch "done" or "they build but god knows if they work until I can finish doing the rest". Next up is the joy that is hildon-calendar.c.

4303 lines of code.
1490 lines of output from warnings/errors etc.
Add in my current "favourite", gdk to cairo conversions.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I so want to remove bits from libhildon...

Latest batch "done" or "they build but god knows if they work until I can finish doing the rest". Next up is the joy that is hildon-calendar.c.

4303 lines of code.
1490 lines of output from warnings/errors etc.
Add in my current "favourite", gdk to cairo conversions.
In that regard: do you know what is the replacement for hildon_gtk_icon_view_new_with_model ?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
There isn't a direct replacement at the moment. In the Cordia based port it is removed completely IIRC. The closest would be gtk_icon_view_new_with_model.

http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/h...new-with-model
The "mode" part relies on custom feature from the Maemo-GTK patch. I'm not 100% sure what it does, but:

* Specifies which UI mode to use. A setting of #HILDON_UI_MODE_NORMAL
* will cause the icon view to disable selections and emit item-activated
* as soon as an item is pressed. When #HILDON_UI_MODE_EDIT is set,
* selections can be made according to the setting of the mode in
* GtkIconView::selection-mode.
Debian solution: Make the function and enum available, add support for setting property but don't ever actually do anything:
http://deriv.debian.net/patches/libh....3-1+0m5.patch

This is what I'm doing for now with the new port until it is at least buildable.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
There isn't a direct replacement at the moment. In the Cordia based port it is removed completely IIRC. The closest would be gtk_icon_view_new_with_model.

http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/h...new-with-model
The "mode" part relies on custom feature from the Maemo-GTK patch. I'm not 100% sure what it does, but:

Debian solution: Make the function and enum available, add support for setting property but don't ever actually do anything:
http://deriv.debian.net/patches/libh....3-1+0m5.patch

This is what I'm doing for now with the new port until it is at least buildable.
Maybe I should pause h-d for a while and help you with libhildon?

Community SSU developer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Maybe I should pause h-d for a while and help you with libhildon?
Android808: Did you miss that post?

Community SSU developer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
I've been a bit distracted. After missing out on a Black Friday deal because phone took too long to process page, I felt that until such time that I can get a decent Sailfish device (i.e. European support, modern specs) or something capable of running a modernized Maemo, I'd have to get a decent Android device. After several attempts to buy one, I finally got a OnePlus 3T. Love the speed and display but taking some time to get used to everything wanting this permission or another. Then there's the "contains ads" on almost everything, and the whole freemium experience. My desktop/laptop/phone history involves only ever paying for Windows, games and dbpoweramp. Everything else is always FLOSS.

That in no way means I have given up on the N900 or the GTK3 work or intend to anytime soon. I haven't been able to get anywhere near as much done whilst I've been off, either through family commitments or illness. With the exception of a header file change (gtkprivate.h to gtk.h) in the next file, commits should be up to date. So if you want to take a look at code completed up to now or start the next file feel free. Just commit where your upto (just add [WIP] to beginning of commit to any incomplete files) so I know. There are probably some implicit functions in the stuff I've already done but I'll deal with that when I can actually get a built library.

On a related note, after porting all the expose events to draw, we'll have to port to snapshot in GTK4: https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2017...-happenings-2/

If anyone has some decent suggestions for Android games that don't just require tapping like Tapped Out on pay to progress I'd appreciate them via PM.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
oh, you've joined the dark side

Jokes aside - the more I read about gtkN, N>2, the more I become worried that our efforts are in vain. If you look at the roadmap, in gtk4 stuff like foreign windows(used in hildon-status-menu) and whatnot is going to be removed. This, combined with the fact that more and more functions are getting deprecated with no replacement, makes me wonder how we're going to support gtk3 h-d even if we manage to migrate it to what is current as API.

Also, what about themes? I couldn't find a clear or automated way to migrate existing gtk2 theme to gtk3.

Maybe the correct approach is to keep hildon on gtk2 and migrate only clutter?

Community SSU developer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
The foriegn windows/ gdk_window_new changes I think is to do with Wayland support. IIRC it doesn't really know how to handle popups/menus/etc, particularly placement. I think the example I've seen was when clicking near the bottom of the screen the popup appears above the cursor instead of below. I think we've a little while to worry about it as even now some mainstream apps are only just switching over to GTK3 (Firefox wasn't that long ago).

Themes I haven't found an automated way. There are a few examples floating around of how to convert some aspects.

It really comes back to how compatible you want to be. GTK2(same or updated) + Clutter 1.x is feasible. As clutter is only really used by hildon-desktop it wouldn't take much effort to port your clutter1.x changes over to a GTK2 code base.

My original plan was to follow the deprecated feature removal from Cordia and build a Hildon so that my Hildon3 would be to Hildon what GTK3 is to GTK2. Break compatibility where needed, and shrink the size of Hildon, relying on as much stock GTK functionality as possible, negating most of the need for custom themes and shrinking the maintainence.

If you think about it, theres color dialogs, buttons, chooser etc that exist in both. Why bother? If we could add CSD to dialogs, saving screen space as a bonus, we could just use https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/sta...lorchooser.png. If we can't use CSD, then we'd just enable dialogs-use-header.

As for joining the dark side, I think that would be Apple

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: